30mm Scope Mounts

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
pickle
Stihl pickled

30mm Scope Mounts

Post by pickle » 12 Aug 2016, 21:36

Just replaced my old adjustable Apel mounts with a set of 30mmm Sports Match adjustable uppy and downey front and rear mounts on my DS Air Ranger. The scope POI seemed to keep drifting to the right so drastic action was needed. Is it my milky old MTC going tits up or are the Kraut mounts getting the ache with Brexiteers. However, I never rated theses Sportsmatch mounts much until now (having used the Apels on a rimfire for years without problems) but having looked at the SM's they really are well machined to close tolerances and generally well turned out. So I put them on in a fit of pique and remembered that the vertical adjustment both ends is so different to the lateral adjustment of the Apels - well it would be wouldn't it. Pay attention there please. Now with the SM's it doesn't take much to knock em out of kilter, the downside to the Apels is the lack of clamping area on the 11mm rail and the rotary adjustment screws inaccessible until one removes the scope and mounts in one lump. The best mounts I ever used were Leupold weaver type QD steels in 30mm that would keep to within a couple of clicks adjustment when removed and refitted. No other mount ever did that for me.

snoopy

Re: 30mm Scope Mounts

Post by snoopy » 17 Sep 2016, 15:09

have you wounnd the turrets any sistance at all? some times the slide gets tilted fractionaly by winding it to far then the other turret winds against it, long stoty short 'why is my poi wandering like that', the answer to it is wing a turn or so out on both and gently walk one then the other back, like 5 clicks at most here..ball acke but has been known to sort it on ocasion.

failing that ask toney at daystate lmao!! he'll fob yu off with a story lol. confidently mind lol.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

stillair1

Post by stillair1 » 17 Sep 2016, 21:42

I seem to have quite a lot of sports match mounts attached and if I have a problem its usually the scope or the rifle. I have a set of tier one mounts that I'll be mounting a scope in tomorrow. Wow they are tight tolerance. Like every thing you get what you pay for, that why the leupys work well too.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 17 Sep 2016, 22:21

Snoopy, i think the turrets are now well worn (silly target turrets) and i should really change the scope for a new one. I don't think these old MTC's were meant to last forever. Trouble is i like the reticle and the optics and it works for me. Funny old best scope, gets anti and then settles down for a bit. I find the other smaller 4x16x50 a bit tiresome but it is not used for NV so i live with it. These early MTC's are packed with Whale blubber and plumbers hessian tack and the erector springs are made from old biros and fountain pens. My personal belief is that mounts should be made of all steel or titanium construction but aluminium will do for 12fp - i guess.