Windage

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
pickle
Stihl pickled

Windage

Post by pickle » 23 Sep 2016, 11:31

Classic comment here from Terry Doe in a well known air rifle magazine - this one was quite a good read actually.
Tel says - 'I picked up a bit of windage at 45yds, but this is still top-class accuracy'. Can someone tell me what a match grade barrel is exactly, how long should it be and where doe they come from (country of origin). I want one.

rodp
A bad influence

Re: Windage

Post by rodp » 23 Sep 2016, 11:55

If you read and believe any magazine review you need your head looking Alf (you probably do anyway, like a lot on here :lol: ) And in particular by certain writers / editors that have done rather well from these "completely unbiased reviews" :roll: There's a lot of these reviewers only where they are because their entourage seem to worship them and treat them as Gods just so they can preen themselves on certain stands at shows. All rather sad really, and they're more to be pitied than anything :cry:

Or you could just laugh at them :lol: :lol: :lol:

When he says he "picked up a bit of windage" what he really means is he missed and it doesn't shoot for crap. :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 23 Sep 2016, 12:31

I get lots of windage these days but mine is courtesy of taking metformin - which really ought to be called metfartin because of its main side effect.

I tend to let my posts slide a bit downhill towards the end of a week. :angel:

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 23 Sep 2016, 16:00

What rifle do you shoot pickle?
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 23 Sep 2016, 16:53

Lets not get personal here sunndog - I shoot an air rifle of course but this statement may be a contradiction in terms - but you already know this. And umm, well the air rifle Tel was shooting did not have a shroud hanging off the end, but the barrel was not in fact free floating. Ah, should have read the article through - this was a Lothar Walther barrel apparently and well, it is a .177. I would like to add (in isolation) that i have yet to see any type of identification mark on a pre-charged air rifle barrel. Don't you just love Microsoft Word - pity the Yanks can't speak Kings English - sorry I digress. Nice crown on my Daystate Wolverine .177 barrel. Now had Tel put some sort of measuring device up against his 'groups' we would all be much more enriched and wiser and also, was the last few yards of his 45yd range outside the chicken shed - as the paragraph is unclear to me. However, according to my calculations one group is under half inch wide by just under 0.700" tall as depicted. Now I suspect Tel has been cunning here because those pellets are not JSB Match Diablo, oh no, but more akin to Milbro Caledonian. Now I suspect the enlightened are nodding sagely. Ok, so even if it were done in a windless chicken shed it is still a very good group done with average to duff pellets! Umm.
Last edited by pickle on 23 Sep 2016, 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 23 Sep 2016, 21:24

Some bloke you also have the heart and stomach of a King, mostly, but you are not as attractive as the Prime Minister even with your toga on.

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 24 Sep 2016, 21:51

:wave: :wave: :wave: Bouncy Springy "Zebedee" Onion. alias "Alf the Jack-in-the-box" :x :crazy:
I gave you the three waves for starters just to get your attention :thumbup: , can we please revisit my previous questions regarding "prescribed medication and the necessary requirement" OF NOT MISSING OUT YOUR ALLOTED QUOTA OF BRAIN ENHANCING CHEMICALS ON ANY DAY THAT HAS A Y IN IT'S SPELLING :lolno:
The preceding enquiry is twofold in it's content as you YET AGAIN seem to be more than a bit wayward and off-piste and in the rough in not being able to join up all the dots to form a straight line :wtf:
You ask a variety of questions and seek to increase your knowledge "but then question the informed answers" that you have received ????? :crazy: Can I finish by suggesting that you make a BIG ATTEMPT to reduce your caffeine intake just to see if you can get back on-piste in a less erratic manner, and don't forget that all of the above in no way detracts from the fact that you are still rated as :think: my newest best'est best friend :thumbup:
Phil
ImageImage

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 25 Sep 2016, 13:11

:wave: Here you go Alfie
Your quote. >>>
Classic comment here from Terry Doe in a well known air rifle magazine - this one was quite a good read actually.
Tel says - 'I picked up a bit of windage at 45yds, but this is still top-class accuracy'.Can someone tell me what a match grade barrel is exactly, how long should it be and where do they come from (country of origin). I want one.

Alfie, the entitlement to be classified as "Match grade" is a very old inspection scoring system for the rare and near obsolete version of the "overbored" & "backbored" magnum lentil shooter that is much sought after by the accomplished professional small vermin hunters who mainly live a subsistence lifestyle in several rural areas 37 miles north west of Offa's Dyke. It's length is based on some very complex "trigonometry" which I am thinking might be a wee bit just the other side of impossible for me to successfully explain to you in your easy to understand native tongue "BUT" for the ease of an example for you any lengths between 380mm and 480mm would suffice as long as you do not experience any inclement weather or any heat waves on your ramblings/excursions. If you carry out some in depth research about "Offa" the last part of your enquiry should come to you as "revelation of wisdom" in a blinding flash of knowledge that has also been known to be accompanied by several large bolts of fire and brimstone that might also be followed by some guttural "windage" rumbles ???
Hope this helps, your newest best'est best friend Phil
ImageImage

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 25 Sep 2016, 15:18

Or you could just look at it logically. Advertising sponsor the magazine, the magazine sponsors staff members. Just to what standard staff are sponsored depends entirely on the standard to which advertising sponsors the magazine. Slagging off advertisers products leads to a lack of sponsorship, praising them up beyond their realistic capabilities leads to a lot of sponsorship.

Of course, all this is denied, but sensible folk live in the real world and just laugh at these denials. :thumbup:

And anyway, that's just my take on it and it may not be true :roll:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 25 Sep 2016, 17:17

Hairyyoda, sorry did not see you former post here til now. Am still no further forward with air rifle barrel lengths (actually I am) but a man with a handlebar moustache (Mr Smith) did once say to me that he could make me feel very unwell at 80yds (i think it was 100 actually) with his short barrelled pistol (full bore). And another reknowned chap that I know told me that once the projectile (bullet in his/this case) is spinning and exits the barrel, in theory the length of the barrel does/should not matter - he was talking full bore. Now this cannot be true, surely, because all truly accurate target rimfire and fullbore rifles have barrels anything up to 26" or so insofar as I am aware, notwithstanding proper sniper weapons (not those Yankee things with shroud hangers and cans on mind). I always thought it was shotguns that were backbored. Now a pellet or a bullet has to be given the opportunity to stabilise given the optimum ballistic characteristics employed by the designer of the weapon - surely, I advocate. Now Phill you had my attention until you mentioned lentils - given that you are a knowledgeable machinist and heavy metal kid and most likely a qualified engineering type. I can't help flitting around subject wise its just the way my mind doesn't work. Now you say in a more serious moment 380mm to 480mm and I think you hit the nail as regards air rifle - well precharged at any rate. For many years we had the barrel length tosh from one particular manufacturer who has never owned up that their barrel lengths were based on a purely arbitry architecture of 'making up the rules as they went along' given the constraints of their manufacturing plan extempore, reinforced by people like T' Doh who went with the flow as did every media medium connected with the air rifle trade. Now I have some sympathy with the ethos of the 'trade' and it is not for me to cast aspersions but I can't help wanting to kick butt on occasion. And just to add that it is absolutely no different in the motor trade or many other trades (mostly) in this regard. The father and son team of Cardew and Cardew went a long way toward analysing the mechanics of air rifle barrel length (springer mostly), so 'optimum' is not a word I take (media/manufacturer) seriously here. I could go on and on and...... By the way hairysuit your never going to join up the dots - you just have to be you and be nice to me.