Moderating my BSA-R10

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
AirRifleSport

Moderating my BSA-R10

Post by AirRifleSport » 09 May 2014, 15:32

I have been trying to reduce the sound emitted from my R10 and fiddled about with the moderator's internals.
There isn't much in there... 3 hair curlers with some Scotchbrite pads wrapped around them and 2 metal baffles.

Tried my friend's HW100 moderator on my R10 but did not make any difference in reducing the sound... Not that I could hear. Looked inside his moderator and two things that I could differentiate from mine were some white, 4mm thick (approx.) pads wrapped around the curlers and the tighter baffle holes. His moderator has also a smaller exit hole than my Brocock.

Experimented with different layers of materials around the curlers and different relocation of the curlers (the curlers consist of 2 long ones and 1 half size.)

The loudness was changing with different configurations, mostly for the worse with the occasional perception of actually being slightly quieter from the original configuration but on firing the rifle accuracy was lost.

Then while I was sipping my beer from a bottle, I thought about the possibility of using some bottle caps. :idea: So I got some tools out... Drilled a 6.5 mm hole in a couple of them, used my metal cutter to remove the ridged edges until sized to be used as baffles. Removed only one baffle, the one nearest to the exit hole, located in between the small and long curlers, replaced with one made with the bottle cap, added a third one right behind the exit hole. Tested it and it sounded slightly quieter but again the grouping was worse... Power was quite different as I needed 2.5 mil dots hold over for the same zero distance. I don't think that it was clipping though.

I replaced the middle baffle back to the original one but kept the home made at the end of the moderator, retested and to my surprise it is slightly quieter than before I started to fiddle about with it. Not only that, but grouping has also slightly improved. :o

My modification:
Changed 1 original curler (long one) at the end of the moderator with one bought from boots, it has different size holes and some kind Velcro texture wrap, added 2 layers of green scotchbrite pads on all of them.

Added 1 extra, home made baffle from a beer bottle cap.
Quite pleased with my results. :thumbup:
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

grantellissheffield

Re: Moderating my BSA-R10

Post by grantellissheffield » 09 May 2014, 17:12

On my R10.177 i have a A&M marksman and on my R10.22 i have a hubb shroud, i also have a BSA VC and a weihrauch... I would say all about the same but the vc is louder..

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 09 May 2014, 20:50

Wow, you have a few there... I only have the brockok, which it cost £20 at that time. I have seen the VC only in videos and photos and I am not surprised that it's louder, BSA produced them for non concentric shrouds and barrels. Have you tried reducing the baffles holes? It might get quieter.

The thing is... We want the quietest rifle but we can't quieten the pellet impact. :D
I love my .22 R10, even more after XTX'ed.
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

grantellissheffield

Post by grantellissheffield » 10 May 2014, 08:12

i cant be bothered messing around, just slap it on and thats it.. are you on BSAOG ? plenty of guys on there like to swap and change internals

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 10 May 2014, 10:42

Yeah, I did join BSAOG but I haven't logged on for a long time now. Will have to pay a visit back at some stage and catchup. :)

Davie_M

Post by Davie_M » 10 May 2014, 10:59

My air arm s400 don't make much noise anyway so why fit a mod

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 10 May 2014, 11:41

Well... If you do plinking, like me, in my back garden, then using one it will keep peace with the neighbours. ;)

Davie_M

Post by Davie_M » 10 May 2014, 11:50

AirRifleSport wrote:Well... If you do plinking, like me, in my back garden, then using one it will keep peace with the neighbours. ;)
Nothing wrong with keeping peace with the neighbors but i find it makes more noise hitting the target backstop than fireing the thing in the first place

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 10 May 2014, 13:27

I put allot of junk mail into a cardboard box and add some clothing material too. That dampen the sound a bit. Argos catalogue are also good to use as backstop. :mrgreen:

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 10 May 2014, 15:25

AirRifleSport wrote:I put allot of junk mail into a cardboard box and add some clothing material too. That dampen the sound a bit. Argos catalogue are also good to use as backstop. :mrgreen:

Yeah, they get a bit uppity though when roll up with a pallet truck and start to tow the pile away :roll:

:lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"