what caliber

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
bones61

what caliber

Post by bones61 » 08 Jun 2014, 21:23

no not that old chestnut :roll: i have a little 177 single shot ultra which i love to bits , niece and easy to shoot and more accurate than i am . its good for a rabbit or two as long as you put the pellet where its ment to go . but we also go up the sand school after the old nags have finished for the day and shoot a few targets which i enjoy also . the problem is the ultras only good for about 35 , 40 shots , so after 25 mins its dead . so i eather just watch the boy then with his s10 in 22 or walk 10 mins home fill up walk 10 mins back for another 25 minutes of fun :wtf: sod that

so im contemplating getting a springer to go with the ultra . after reading enough to make my eyes bleed im thinking hw97k . the question is 177 or im quite intrested in a .20 . ive never shot one and the chances of finding one round here to try are zero . so im hoping if any of you fine gents have shot one you could give me your opinion . im thinking it would dispatch the bunies a litle easier without loosing to much of the 177 shootability . ive read some think its the best of both calibers others the worst . so any of you fine gents shot one and any opinions , it wont be for a month or two so plenty of time
the problem with the written word is it has no tone of voice

pav

Re: what caliber

Post by pav » 08 Jun 2014, 22:03

.20 is the best cal by far in my opinion for hunting although my two guns are hw100 and mk1 rapid both .20 but are pcp never shot a .20 in springer but cant see you being dissapointed

Torchwood

Post by Torchwood » 08 Jun 2014, 22:05

Get yourself a body bottle with valve and gage from best fitting, gives you few fills, easy to Cary around and save your cash for a night vision build.

Toni

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 10 Jun 2014, 17:49

My 2 pence worth is chop the old gun in for a new one. Keep it .177 and get something that will give you 80 shots or you could go to town and get a rifle with a buddy bottle and get 300 shots.

.20 is ok. I've shot a few in my time along with many .22's and .177's.

I always go back to the .177. Easily the most accurate calibre and to be honest, if you are any good and hit your quarry where you should (and that will be easier with a .177 including extended range if not blowing a gale) it will drop it. I can count on one finger how many rabbits I have shot in the head that have got back up again.

.22's are for old schoolers who miss their mark and need something that will stop chest shot animals.

.20's are for people who don't like pellet choice

.177's are for people who like hitting what they aim at.

The way I see it, if you need more stopping power, you need a rimfire or centre fire. Worst case scenario would be an FAC .25 air rifle but why bother when a .22lr is quiet, rangier and cheap to run.

villaman

Post by villaman » 14 Jun 2014, 07:08

Or get your ultra regged by XTX Air ,the best thing you can do to them ,will match any top price gun any day .
.22's are for old schoolers who miss their mark and need something that will stop chest shot animals. For this person , he does not know to much about airguns. What ever cal , you need to get to know your set up ie gun, scope, pellet

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 14 Jun 2014, 07:35

villaman wrote:Or get your ultra regged by XTX Air ,the best thing you can do to them ,will match any top price gun any day .
.22's are for old schoolers who miss their mark and need something that will stop chest shot animals. For this person , he does not know to much about airguns. What ever cal , you need to get to know your set up ie gun, scope, pellet
Hardly, quite the opposite. After 20yrs+ of shooting airguns I need to know that my pellet will strike a 5 pence piece every time. Anything outside this is not acceptable at live quarry and .177 allows me to do this more efficiently at a variety of ranges than a .22 round. There is no argument for using a larger round when you are never shooting at anything larger than a rabbit. The key is not just shooting the head but shooting the head in the right place. This demands a high degree of accuracy and this is more easily attainable with a small, flatter round when shooting such low powered weapons at small animals.

I accept it is subjective like with most things but target shooters would rarely opt for .22 so with accuracy being just as (if not more so) important to a hunter, it makes sense.

I would stop short of saying you don't know "too" much about airguns, as you are entitled to your opinion like myself.

villaman

Post by villaman » 14 Jun 2014, 10:09

Cottis wrote:
villaman wrote:Or get your ultra regged by XTX Air ,the best thing you can do to them ,will match any top price gun any day .
Hardly, quite the opposite. After 20yrs+ of shooting airguns I need to know that my pellet will strike a 5 pence piece every time. Anything outside this is not acceptable at live quarry and .177 allows me to do this more efficiently at a variety of ranges than a .22 round. There is no argument for using a larger round when you are never shooting at anything larger than a rabbit. The key is not just shooting the head but shooting the head in the right place. This demands a high degree of accuracy and this is more easily attainable with a small, flatter round when shooting such low powered weapons at small animals.

I accept it is subjective like with most things but target shooters would rarely opt for .22 so with accuracy being just as (if not more so) important to a hunter, it makes sense.

It was your remark about old schoolers only shoot .22, I have been shooting airguns for 41 years in October and it has changed so much in that time .
.177 has become the vogue cal at the moment and it will not be long before .20 will have its day. All four cal will do the job as long as you know your set up and of cause you do your bit.
I totally agree with you about shooting in the right place in the head and not just some were in the head.
By the way I shoot both cals ,not just old school :lol:
I would stop short of saying you don't know "too" much about airguns, as you are entitled to your opinion like myself.

punky

Post by punky » 30 Jun 2014, 01:16

If you can get both m8 the old saying I was brought up with was 177 for feather 22 for fur but I use what ever I fancy that day I have three .22 and have owned countless amount of 177 but have just the one now,I head shoot everything I shoot as said above get yourself something with a bigger tank on board I recommend fx gladiators and logun s16s I take the centre out of a target at forty yards and above as easy as taking candy from a baby :lol:
Two and half million made and three quarters of these still on the road,can you say the same about your 4x4
LANDROVER A BRAND LOVED WORLDWIDE
One life live it!!!!!!

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 04 Jul 2014, 13:04

basicly...if your hankering over a .20 get one..... you'll never know unless you do.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

punky

Post by punky » 04 Jul 2014, 19:07

Before you get one make sure you can get some slugs because most shops sell 177 and 22 also might not get the same choice with that caliber
Two and half million made and three quarters of these still on the road,can you say the same about your 4x4
LANDROVER A BRAND LOVED WORLDWIDE
One life live it!!!!!!