Pulsar Quantum LQ 19

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
joed

Pulsar Quantum LQ 19

Postby joed » 04 Mar 2017, 07:19

So Scott Country are selling these at 1399.00...prices are coming down. One thing I notice is the 9hz refresh rate. Is this a major factor to consider and a possible down side against this model.

I have been ummming and ahhhing about thermal, but do ultimately need an TI. This is now getting a unit in an "affordable" range but don't want to spend money on a unit which doesn't really suit my needs.

I am looking at detecting moving/active animals fox sized at ranges between 50 -500 yards
Bosh....Hold Tight

curlew

Re: Pulsar Quantum LQ 19

Postby curlew » 04 Mar 2017, 08:02

i have olny seen 30hz but some people must manage with 9hz , there is a vid on youtube comparing them and it seems like the images of moving cars etc with 9hz could make me feel a bit sick as it is a noticable judder ,the drawback will be if/when you want to sell it to upgrade then 9hz could be a slow seller

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 04 Mar 2017, 08:08

If your targets are static, then 9Hz is OK, but as soon as you start to scan with 9Hz the image becomes a blur - unless you scan very very slowly
Personally, i'd keep saving and get a thermal with at least 25Hz refresh rate.
I also agree with Curlew, that if you wanted to upgrade from 9Hz, you wouldn't find it easy to shift your old unit

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Mini Magnum

Postby Mini Magnum » 04 Mar 2017, 09:18

Avoid it mate.

The quantum lites will be out soon enough, and will have all the new features of the XQ series , 17 micron sensor, quick startup , silent cal, 50hz, more mag and there going to be under £1500 so just wait, you will get more money back also if you buy a new product and come to sell on .

Poeppelman

Postby Poeppelman » 16 Jun 2017, 06:50

Mini Magnum wrote:Avoid it mate.

The quantum lites will be out soon enough, and will have all the new features of the XQ series , 17 micron sensor, quick startup , silent cal, 50hz, more mag and there going to be under £1500 so just wait, you will get more money back also if you buy a new product and come to sell on .

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to get one of the Quantum Lites when I can.

spiralviral

Postby spiralviral » 16 Jun 2017, 13:05

You'll do well to identify a fox at 500yds with a lite, lens is of inferior quality to the WT & helions, possibly the sensor too. :eh:

sauer

Postby sauer » 18 Jun 2017, 05:26

Apparently the lite is equivalent or close to original Hd38 no ?
But for £1299
For me I wouldn't need to outright identify a heat source at 500yds .... as long as I can see the heat source .... know it's animated then you could get closer using field craft.
These things don't replace that , only an aid.

Paul

nzwatcher

Postby nzwatcher » 18 Jun 2017, 06:58

Added this to this thread too.
OK
I eventually got the XQ30V Lite - after NZ Customs sat on my shipment of scopes-binos-Olight torches etc for 9 days without telling anyone there was a "minor problem with English not been used on some invoice items :yawn:

So - been using it last 3 nights/early mornings leading into daylight - better that I was expecting. Located Deer out to 470m - at first in 2.5x (the lowest magnification) I was not sure if they were rocks or animal - but when I went to 5x could see they were animal and when went to 10x could see they were Hind & Yearling. At 10x very pixilated - but you could see what they were. At that point in time I could not see them with my scope on 5x. 10 mins later with more daylight - I could just see them.
Last night shot a Yearling Red Deer from my front door at 30m :thumbup:
Was with Hind and both glowed full in screen and looked like out of space Martians. The blighters have been devouring the wife garden the last few weeks and living in close to us - have become very cunning. Used my 12g Shotgun with buckshot and thought I would get both with 1 shot - but mother (the one I wanted to get) got away - but we have some nice Venison in freezer.

So - verdict on XQ30V Lite
Not as good as last year’s XQ38 Quntum - but at 1/3 of the price what would you expect. It cost me $2250NZ - local sports shops and importer are retailing them at 2999NZ$
This one is going to a mate who wants it for river flat hunting Red Deer and doing Possum for Fur.
I think for the money - its great buying and will work fine.
For you Fox hunters etc - maybe not enough clarity for ID around farmland etc - but for around bush/open country Deer spotting - its good value.

spiralviral

Postby spiralviral » 19 Jun 2017, 13:50

"Apparently the lite is equivalent or close to original Hd38 no ?
But for £1299
For me I wouldn't need to outright identify a heat source at 500yds .... as long as I can see the heat source .... know it's animated then you could get closer using field craft.
These things don't replace that , only an aid.
Paul".

- quite so, Paul, I agree wholeheartedly, but it does sometimes help if you can tell what the 'white blob' is before you set off? No argument whatsoever that it will identify a heat source, but after a warm day, there's often plenty white blobs in the form of stones, stumps, or indeed animated ones like rabbit, pine marten, otter, badger, etc. that can fool one, especially if the definition of the picture is limited by lens or sensor quality. But I do agree too that anything is better than nothing!

sauer

Pulsar Quantum LQ 19

Postby sauer » 19 Jun 2017, 14:22

Basically if you have no qualms or issues with budget yes go higher up the scale , get the unit that lets you get best detail etc .

I think the lites ( not loooked thru one yet but a lite be one I get).
Are a game changer in terms of cost vs ability .....
We've all seen the small hand units like a phone and not worth what we want them for .
I can't wait to get hands on one ......
I have been soiled tho ...lve gotten to play with Phoenix's homemade units and well.......WOW !
I went walk about with rifle n set of sticks (.22lr) and got 18 just sneaking about on foot til lost light ....didn't bother with my NV as was after 23:00 and stuff on next day .

Bruce came for a play & let me use thermals .......same time frame and 41 rabbits bagged .

For the money and the old hd38 quality ......game changer .

Paul

Return to “thermal imaging”