Pulsar trail Xq38

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Pulsar trail Xq38

Post by phoenix » 28 Aug 2018, 21:13

Steve,
I've been lusting over the Trijicon IR Hunter III since they came out, but I'm not prepared to go to the USA and finish up in an orange jump suit trying to bring one back here :D
I've no doubt that Pulsar will eventually start using 12 micron sensors, but they like to squeeze every last drop out of the current technology.
For example, they went from the 25 micron HD thermals to the still 25 micron XD thermals, then made the jump to 17 micron with the XQ thermals and are still using 17 micron in the current helion and trail thermals.
They also are no longer making any thermal with an objective bigger than 50mm.
Their 38 and 50mm spotters are fine and probably all that most people will ever need, and they can use all the expensive bits of the spotters (lens, sensor, near eye display) in a thermal riflescope with just a different housing.
To make a higher magnification scope they would need to a larger objective lens, and for a relatively low volume seller, they appear to think that it's not worth it
Clive fills the void with his 75mm thermals, but it would be nice to have some choice in that segment of the market

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

spiralviral

Post by spiralviral » 29 Aug 2018, 07:07

Cheers Bruce, lets hope Donald decides to offer a free trade deal post Brexit then! (Maybe we won't hold our breath meantime, lol)

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 11 Sep 2018, 16:32

Bruce, what would be the possibility or how difficult would it be to fit the front end of my xd75 to an xp50?
Could it be done?
I know Clive’s scope is the one but I like the pip on pulsar and shoot on it 99% of the time. Haven’t use my gen3 scope or add on in years but if I could get the clarity of a 640 with the extra oomph of a 75 I could be tempted to try something stupid.. :think:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 11 Sep 2018, 17:05

I'm 99.99% sure that it's not possible to take the 75mm lens from your XD75 onto and put it onto an XP 50.

Cheers

Bruce

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 11 Sep 2018, 19:51

I didn’t think it would be a screw on kind of thing I was more wondering about whether these printer things could maybe fabricate a lens housing or something to make it fit. I thought it would be a no go but just thought...I wonder :lol: ..cheers for the reply though Bruce :thumbup:

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 14 Sep 2018, 23:11

Ended up buying an lrf xq50 instead. Love it. XD75 is now a spotter :lol: Trouble was the QR mount for the pulsar was fouling my bolt so I just bolted it on with the original mount but the strange thing was when I went to zero the scope I didn’t need to adjust windage or elevation :o ...anyone else have this happen? I certainly never have..
I’ve ordered a 20 moa rail from Alan Rhône to push the scope forward a bit as it’s slightly longer than the current one and I only needed half inch or so. Is this going to piss me off having to move the X hair too much off centre? Didn’t think at the time on the phone as you wouldnt notice anything with a day scope but does the pulsars ret move off centre as you adjust? I can’t even remember or say I noticed on my XD75..

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 15 Sep 2018, 06:08

Fox Hunter wrote:
14 Sep 2018, 23:11
Ended up buying an lrf xq50 instead. Love it. XD75 is now a spotter :lol: Trouble was the QR mount for the pulsar was fouling my bolt so I just bolted it on with the original mount but the strange thing was when I went to zero the scope I didn’t need to adjust windage or elevation :o ...anyone else have this happen? I certainly never have..
I’ve ordered a 20 moa rail from Alan Rhône to push the scope forward a bit as it’s slightly longer than the current one and I only needed half inch or so. Is this going to piss me off having to move the X hair too much off centre? Didn’t think at the time on the phone as you wouldnt notice anything with a day scope but does the pulsars ret move off centre as you adjust? I can’t even remember or say I noticed on my XD75..
Not sure about your Apex but with the Trail it centralises the ret when you save the settings.

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 15 Sep 2018, 07:13

Thanks BR that sounds promising :thumbup: . As I say I can’t remember thinking the XD’s ret moving so hopefully should be the same. Over thinking things again :roll: :lol:

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 17 Sep 2018, 18:40

Back to the lens’s, the front end of an xd75 and the lrf xq50 look exactly the same. Forgetting the xp swap is there any way the lens just unscrews from an xd75 and lrf xq50 swap?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 Sep 2018, 21:35

I'd say there's pretty good chance that the front lens/focus adjust mechanism o your XD75 is interchangeable with Apex LRF XQ 38/50
If it works, it should increase the base magnification from x2.8 to around x4.2

Cheers

Bruce