Which Thermal Unit

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
Nuggs123

Re: Which Thermal Unit

Post by Nuggs123 » 22 Sep 2017, 10:00

My xq38f spots so much more than my nv ,just last night I spotted a couple of rabbits a metre or so back in the brambles that I wouldn't have known were there without the thermal ,so I just got comfy for 10 mins and out they came :clap: result .I was also near a field with some pig pens ,the corrugated arched ones and the thermal even spotted which ones had pigs in and which didn't ... through the tin walls :crazy: and beat this .. I spotted a heat spot in a far away tree about a hundred yards so walked nearer to find three birds roosting and was close enough to see they were crows ,I startled one and just before it flew it had a shite which I saw as a white hot splodge shooting out its arse.... Lovely !!!! Lol .All in pitch blackness . It really is that good .Mike.

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 22 Sep 2017, 11:45

Graphic ^

Last thing from me. Thermal is totally passive. Gen3 can be passive when no ir help is used. Digi is not as it requires ir help which can be seen by other Tubed or Digi units. Its only important if you need to be sneaky beaky.

I chased a mouse around my lawn in the dark. The mouse couldn't work out how I always knew where he was. Cats don't have Thermal.

spiralviral

Post by spiralviral » 22 Sep 2017, 19:10

You don't see many 'old type' XQ38's or XQ50's for sale second hand for these reasons; they may not have all the whistles and bells of the helion, but can run on regular AA cells, are light, ergonomic and compact, and absolutely deliver.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 23 Sep 2017, 08:12

spiralviral wrote:You don't see many 'old type' XQ38's or XQ50's for sale second hand for these reasons; they may not have all the whistles and bells of the helion, but can run on regular AA cells, are light, ergonomic and compact, and absolutely deliver.
+1 and that is the reason I have kept my Quantum XQ50. Not complicated, just one button to press/twist to adjust brightness/contrast to suit the conditions.

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 08 Aug 2018, 16:32

Reviving this thread as I never bought a thermal unit last year due to a family illness. That is past now and I wanted to check back and be sure I am doing the right thing.

My sole purpose for buying one is to have for camp security when I backpack in the hinterlands. I'm looking to detect potential trouble --- a human, bear, or moose that might approach my camp. Everything I am concerned with will be large. I'll be in the forest so all my usage will be less than 100 meters.

A friend of mine has a very inexpensive FLIR Scout TK which he uses for the same purpose and is happy with. He lives too far away from me to view it.

https://www.flir.com/products/scout-tk/

I'd like to get away for the least amount of money. Would the Scout TK or Pulsar XQ23V fit that bill or is there some other suggestion? Thanks in advance.

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 08 Aug 2018, 18:30

Personally, I don't think anything has changed, the Pulsar Helion XQ38F remains the best bangs for bucks.
Any lesser performance unit will be disappointing, and at least the above is at a level of performance worth having, an enjoyable watching experience.

I think we would love to give you an alternative at less cost but there isn't any saving to be had. The technology is what it is at this price point and saving by getting a lesser unit isn't really a saving. I wouldn't want anything less performance wise; others might argue the point.
If you could get the VAT off a UK unit, 20%, then its about $2,200 or so. (Estimate, or $2,500 with. Minimag on here I believe does a good deal, not sure what he thinks about exporting). $2,999 in the States seems to be the going rate without some discount code.

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 08 Aug 2018, 19:37

Months ago, I had a much better handle on the thermals.

Can a better unit, such as the XQ38F, identify a human at 100 meters in the woods any better than a XQ23V, which is nearly half the price?

As an example, here is a video of red deer at 300 yards, which is 3 times the distance I'm concerned with, using the XQ23V. I can distinguish it is deer rather than a human. Would the XQ38F be more clear? Yes, substantially more so but both get me across the finish line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGZSnFRSl6w

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 08 Aug 2018, 21:24

Bruce might chip in here. I believe Yes, the Lites being less in most departments by all accounts.
Again, my recommendation is push the boat out and get the better unit. (With NV it would sends me nuts knowing there was something marketably better available, well it would if within financial reach.) Then enjoy it for many years.

Or wait five years when the next generation comes out and pushes the price down of the old.

Your money, your call.

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 08 Aug 2018, 22:09

I can wait months but don't want to wait a year. For me, its what unit would be suitable for camp security and being able to identify a human in the woods at the lowest price.

Two years ago, I had three "hikers" appeared out of no where at a very remote area where I was camped many miles away from humanity. They came upon my camp late at night. Thankfully nothing bad happened but I vowed never to allow myself to be in that position again. I had heard steps in the woods of something coming, and it sounded like human footfalls, but the three sets threw me off. I thought it might be two deer.

Armed with a thermal scope I would now be able to see those three people coming late at night and avoid them completely rather than have to be an uncomfortable situation like I had.

nealh

Post by nealh » 08 Aug 2018, 22:09

wiiawiwb wrote:
08 Aug 2018, 16:32
Reviving this thread as I never bought a thermal unit last year due to a family illness. That is past now and I wanted to check back and be sure I am doing the right thing.

My sole purpose for buying one is to have for camp security when I backpack in the hinterlands. I'm looking to detect potential trouble --- a human, bear, or moose that might approach my camp. Everything I am concerned with will be large. I'll be in the forest so all my usage will be less than 100 meters.

A friend of mine has a very inexpensive FLIR Scout TK which he uses for the same purpose and is happy with. He lives too far away from me to view it.

https://www.flir.com/products/scout-tk/

I'd like to get away for the least amount of money. Would the Scout TK or Pulsar XQ23V fit that bill or is there some other suggestion? Thanks in advance.
A friend of mine has this unit. In my opinion i would not buy one.
I love this country; it's the damn government I'm afraid of!