Which Thermal Unit

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
Mini Magnum

Re: Which Thermal Unit

Post by Mini Magnum » 08 Aug 2018, 23:20

I'd suggest anything from Helion XQ38F upwards, personally unless on a real tight budget I'd swerve the Quantum lite and go for the Helions.

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 10 Aug 2018, 02:14

For me, it's not the cost as much the cost as it is the allocation of resources. If I forego the XQ38F in favor of the XQ23V, I can use those resources toward something else. In the end, it boils down to which hill you want to die on. I can buy a 23V AND a hot tent for the same price I could buy an XQ38F. That makes my decision easy.

https://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/

Were I using it for open-field fox hunting then I would agree wholeheartedly a XQ38F is the way to go. In a thickly-wooded forest where the farthest I can see is 75 meters, the big guns are wasted, in my inexperienced opinion. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 10 Aug 2018, 08:31

From the description of your needs, then the XQ23V will do the job well.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

splinter

Post by splinter » 11 Aug 2018, 08:30

Just a thought.

In an earlier post you said that you were a distance from a suitable store, so possibly when you make a purchase it could be on-line.
In UK some retailers will ship an item (prospective buyer pays for the item before shipment) and allow a 7 day trial. If the buyer finds the item unsuitable, they return it and their money is refunded less a fee. If the item is acceptable to the buyer, it is still returned & a brand new unit is sent out by the retailer.
Also, if an item is bought unseen (e.g. on internet) our distance selling regulations allow return within 14 days & a full refund will be given, provided the item is still in mint condition.
I'm not sure if either of the above options are available in US, but may be worth investigating.

splinter.

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 11 Aug 2018, 15:36

Excellent thought. Many stores here in the US will have a 30-day return allowance will full refund BUT charge a "stocking fee". That can run any where from 10% to 20%.

I'll make some phone call and see.

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 14 Aug 2018, 00:15

I finally made my decision and pulled the trigger on a thermal unit. I ordered the Pulsar Helion XQ28F. It gives me the all of features of the Helion line and the widest FOV available to me amongst them.

I want to sincerely thank everyone here. Each and every one of you has happily shared your knowledge and experience about a subject matter I was truly ignorant about. It's been both a learning and growing process. Let me also say that I searched high and low for every forum I could find on the internet that provided information and guidance about thermal units. There were several but nothing in the ballpark comparable this forum. You folks are the most knowledgeable out there, bar none.

Thanks again for all your kind help and I will keep you abreast once I get it and begin learning more about it.

dogfox1

Post by dogfox1 » 16 Aug 2018, 18:59

Came across this Sight. Probably never will be available here.

https://tnvc.com/shop/ir-hunter-mk-iii- ... 640-x-480/

http://www.trijiconeo.com/products/ir-hunter/

Look at the 60mm version of mk3 with 640x480 12 micron sensor. 4.5 X lens.

Don't know how this compares with what available here but on line videos look sharp.

G

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 16 Aug 2018, 19:33

Unless the ITAR rules change, then you're right - it will never be available here (legally!!)
That particular model with the 60mm lens and 640x480 12 micron sensor is IMHO, the best commercially available thermal scope at the moment.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

dogfox1

Post by dogfox1 » 16 Aug 2018, 19:39

Thanks for the reply Bruce.

I was hoping you were going to say it is made in china or somewhere outside the US.

G

dogfox1

Post by dogfox1 » 16 Aug 2018, 19:45

Just out of interest Bruce, how much better is it than pulsars etc that are available over here in the UK.

Just dreaming.

G