Which Thermal Unit

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
wiiawiwb

Re: Which Thermal Unit

Postby wiiawiwb » 20 Sep 2017, 00:25

There is the Helion XP28 which has a 640x480 resolution and a wide FOV. How would something like this work out?

http://pulsarnv.com/sku=PL77403

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 20 Sep 2017, 00:32

Yep, that will do it, but you're paying a lot of extra money for the 640x480 sensor

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

wiiawiwb

Postby wiiawiwb » 20 Sep 2017, 01:54

I know. The problem is without the benefit of experience I just don't know whether the 12 degree FOV of the XQ30F would be disappointing once I got it.
Would it be too narrow or would it be just fine.

Muskett

Postby Muskett » 21 Sep 2017, 11:53

Its all a compromise. Why the XQ38F ticks the boxes is that it has a little magnification which is a plus, before going digital magnification that degrades the picture like crazy; and it has a decent FOV at that start magnification. Its the best compromise between quality of viewing, magnification, front lens size and quality, and FOV.

Th only advantage a larger sensor gives is with even less magnification. Once digital magnification is used to get to near the same magnification as the the XQ38 all advantage is lost. As for FOV the XQ38 isn't half bad and more than useful enough. Units with more FOV, the less expensive units, are let down by their other components which aren't the same quality; so you might see a bigger area but less clear.

Its an investment and you are trying to get it right. Several of us here recommend the XQ38F as its the best of all the units presently offered because of its quality of parts, and practical useful performance with decent physical magnification and good FOV. Best all round and best bang for bucks too.
Its the one the boys are buying having asked here, and they seem to be very happy with them.

If there was something better it would be said, which is why this Forum is so good. Our loyalty is to performance and our own wallets, and we are a tight bunch!

Nuggs123

Postby Nuggs123 » 21 Sep 2017, 12:20

I have the xq38f and think it's great .If the xq30f is anywhere near as good but with extra FOV then I think it would suit your mentioned needs perfect ,with added benefit of recording/stills . Go for it .

Muskett

Postby Muskett » 21 Sep 2017, 12:34

The old model was the Quantum XQ38, and we are talking the upgraded and new body style Helion XQ38F. New body, new battery, its the best Pulsar unit done yet. And it has a record mode built in.

wiiawiwb

Postby wiiawiwb » 21 Sep 2017, 13:38

You folks are the best and I really mean that. I wouldn't give it a thought or hesitation if I was deciding between a $200 or $400 item. At $3,000+ a mistake is a colossal one and there isn't a big market for used ones, at least where you don't lose your shirt.

I'm on board now with the Helion 38F and wish to thank all of you again.

Muskett

Postby Muskett » 21 Sep 2017, 14:10

We are all in the same boat.
Buy a pair of Swarovski binos and it oozes quality; a lifetimes worth.
Sadly Thermal units aren't the same, but if you want the technology then there really isn't much choice. You have to think of them as a computer, a car, as they go out of date and at best good for 160,000 miles not around the world.
Plenty bought the Quantum XQ and happy still after 4 or 5 years; they were even more money then. No desperate need to upgrade as they are still very good. Upgrading would be another wallet mugging.. ouch. The Helion should do years of good service too.
But Thermal is fantastic...if you like that kind of thing!

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Postby some bloke » 21 Sep 2017, 14:24

Which is more important, knowing something's are out there, or enjoying the sight of what is out there?

As a non thermal or gen 3 user, I'm thinking your interest in viewing wildlife might be at least partially requiring a good image of what you are viewing.

I personally think, going by all the videos I have seen on tube and facebook, that thermal is ideal for detecting a life form's presence with a decent idea of what it is but it often looks to me like seeing something in fog or snow.

If you are wanting to observe and record wildlife with any kind of fur or feather detail a gen 3 is likely to be more satisfying.

Muskett

Postby Muskett » 21 Sep 2017, 18:12

somebloke is right in a way.
Thermal finds stuff that no other system does so well. Great for security, great for finding critters, day and night. Its thermal picture is certainly different to light wave systems. As said like looking at though fine silk muslin. But anything warm shouts out.

Gen3 tubed is great a night with real clarity. Similar cost. It is for night use only and the better kit should switch off before damaged by excess light. It magnifies up poorly. Its poor at twilight as twilight is too much light for it. For watching over a lake great and ir can help brighten things up at the furthest ranges. Sees topographical feature pretty well too. Lovely on a full moon. (I won't buy into them because they can get damaged, burn marks, from too much light). Poor on a misty night.
A great viewing system over open area such as a lake would be one of some bloke's shed built digital spotters. Not expensive and like watching a black and white TV screen of the world at night. Very clear image so long as the area is clear as the ir from the torch has to go out and back. Not great if misty.

Thermal is for spotting where the money is going, as it works day and night, most conditions. Digi for rifle scopes NV due to the clarity of picture if conditions allow.

Return to “thermal imaging”