PULSAR HELION XQ38F

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
SIKA-68

PULSAR HELION XQ38F

Post by SIKA-68 » 14 Oct 2017, 10:04

Hi folks hopefully someone can help with the following query I have just purchased an xq38f and was using it last night for the first time and am pretty impressed with build quality and especially the replacement battery pack, image quality is also very good however but it could be sooo much better what takes away from it is the very bright annoying terrible status bar at the bottom of the screen :x and the video icon top left of screen can these be switched off ? I want to look at my surroundings not an the overwhelming status bar last night when looking for wildlife with contrast turned up to 20 and brightness turned right down to 5 the image when viewing at animals up close is superb but when looking at long range in white hot mode my preferred colour mode the status bar takes away from the image and for me spoils it completely to the point I really am not falling in love with it at all this has the potential to be a great camera save for this problem is their a firmware or way of switching off all this rubbish clutter afterall we have all the information at a touch of a button when its needed anyways thanks in advance.

Sika-68

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: PULSAR HELION XQ38F

Post by phoenix » 14 Oct 2017, 10:54

You could contact Thomas jacks who are the importers and ask them
There's nothing obvious in the manual about switching off the status bar, and I can't ever remember seeing a Pulsar thermal that didn't display the status bar.
I'm not aware of any other users with a similar complaint, so it may be the case that you'll just get used to it.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 14 Oct 2017, 11:50

The menu icon brightness settings can be adjusted , you can turn them nearly off or make them super bright.

It’s in the manual the information.

SIKA-68

Post by SIKA-68 » 14 Oct 2017, 11:57

phoenix wrote:You could contact Thomas jacks who are the importers and ask them
There's nothing obvious in the manual about switching off the status bar, and I can't ever remember seeing a Pulsar thermal that didn't display the status bar.
I'm not aware of any other users with a similar complaint, so it may be the case that you'll just get used to it.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce I know the older pulsars also had the status bar but it was blue rather than the overwhelming white of the hellion if I was even able to change colour if its not possible for the perfection of full screen mode with uninterrupted vision red would be better,I find observing at long range even worse when you can adjust all the brightness/contrast modes but the status bar is really bright I just find it really takes away from this otherwise great little unit ..... :(

SIKA-68

Post by SIKA-68 » 14 Oct 2017, 12:00

Mini Magnum wrote:The menu icon brightness settings can be adjusted , you can turn them nearly off or make them super bright.

It’s in the manual the information.

I have looked on mine and kind find no way of turning down the status bar brightness or even better off altogether maybe I am missing something but thanks for your reply.

SIKA-68

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 14 Oct 2017, 13:19

Sorry I gave you some duff information, this option is available on Quantum models only.

SIKA-68

Post by SIKA-68 » 14 Oct 2017, 13:37

Mini Magnum wrote:Sorry I gave you some duff information, this option is available on Quantum models only.

Cheers anyway bud seems like they have taken a step backwards with the hellion IMHO for me the reason I bought/want it is for maximum viewing experience and this just breaks it for me I have sent pulsar an email explaining my query hopefully they can do something I know I am picky and no one else has complained in my knowledge will post their response when I get for those interested.

Clunge

Post by Clunge » 14 Oct 2017, 15:14

Know what you mean, Sika. I run an XQ30V on Contrast 20 and brightness 0-5. The bottom bar is a distraction and not reduceable or switchable (although the side menu is variable on a scale of 1-9 or 10).

I stuck a disk of Deep Golden Amber gel filter onto a short (~8mm) length of 32mm solvent weld tube.

With a smear of rubber-safe lubricant (from your bedside table drawer), you can slip the short tube over the rim of the rubber eye cup.

Great for night (the status bar virtually disappears, but is readable when you're dark adapted) and it preserves your NV. Menu stays readable.

C.J

Post by C.J » 14 Oct 2017, 19:11

Your not the only one - I've been trialling a Helion XQ50F and having exactly the same problems . I'm also finding the "objective" needs constant refocusing as you scan over changing distances. Everybody that has tried it prefers the XD19 that I usually have.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 15 Oct 2017, 06:41

Great minds etc..... I upgraded to an XQ38F this week from my old faithful HD38S (Big Thanks to Ian! :thumbup: ) and having used it for a nights foxing, I sent Pulsar an email regarding the brightness of the the display icons the next morning. Definitely a retrograde step but hopefully it will just be a firmware upgrade?

As CJ says it is finicky on focus. :wtf:

Cheers

Fizz

And another thing that bugs me ........ these are all designed for right hand use which is fine if you’re a left-handed shooter. I use my left hand and left eye to spot through the thermal to preserve the vision in my right eye for shooting and my right hand has control of the rifle so having to re-spot a moving target meant minimal faffing about.

This wasn’t so bad with the old Quantum units as the brightness wheel was easily reachable and you didn’t need to access the other buttons or focus most of the time. But with the Helion design, the fingers of my left hand are right on top of the buttons meaning I haven’t got such a good grip on the unit as I’d like and as the focus is more finicky you need to adjust it more often and the brightness/contrast is more than one finger control.

Can’t have everything I suppose but Pulsar could’ve taken it into account when designing the unit.

Hmmmmm. Just call me an old fart. :lol:

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol: