Pulsar Helion

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
nettle

Pulsar Helion

Post by nettle » 23 Oct 2017, 09:32

I am thinking about getting a Pulsar Helion XP, not sure whether to get the XP38 or XP50, has anyone compared both of them?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Pulsar Helion

Post by phoenix » 23 Oct 2017, 10:12

More magnification (and hence detection range) but less field of view with the XP50
You'll get the same detection range from an XQ50 as you will from an XP50 and save yourself about £1200

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

nettle

Post by nettle » 23 Oct 2017, 10:46

Thank you for your advice Bruce.

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 23 Oct 2017, 20:20

I'd always go for the Helion XP50 over the XP38, purely down to the sensor size benefitting from a larger lens, 2.5x mag range is perfect and probably caters for the best mag range and field of view from all the available spotter mags, XQ50F is great for longer ranges, but the field of view from the 4.1x optical mag is very limiting at closer ranges and you have to pan round twice as much..

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 24 Oct 2017, 15:45

Mini Magnum wrote:I'd always go for the Helion XP50 over the XP38, purely down to the sensor size benefitting from a larger lens, 2.5x mag range is perfect and probably caters for the best mag range and field of view from all the available spotter mags, XQ50F is great for longer ranges, but the field of view from the 4.1x optical mag is very limiting at closer ranges and you have to pan round twice as much..
Having now gone for the XP50 over the XQ38F I’d agree with this... I felt the 38F at 3.1x mag and 14.4degree FOView was almost a retrograde step over my original HD38S at 2.1x mag and 9.8degree FOV. And the focus of the 38F is a lot more finicky meaning I had to adjust it more often than I ever did with the 38S.

The XP50 is a lot closer to the 38S at 2.5x mag and 12.4degree FOV....and I don’t have to faff about with the focus.

The biggest downside to the Helions over my HD is the bloody display icons! :x They’re now bright white instead of the original blue of the HD and really intrude on the picture meaning the brightness has to be up higher. I can run my HD with the brightness on 0, can’t do that on the Helion......at the moment. Hopefully they’ll sort it soon with a firmware upgrade.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)
Image Image

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting....but, heck.....I just like posting. :crazy: :lol:

Foxpig

Post by Foxpig » 14 Nov 2017, 22:15

So true fizz regards the display pannel being to bright. The 1 and only gripe I have with mine.. I had a an xq50 last week for a day. Took it back after the first night out. The 4.1x starting mag was awful . And I found myself stood on top of valleys nodding my head up and down to scan . Took way to long compared to the hd38 i was used to.
So I traded it in for an xp38 . Wooow all I'll ever need . I spoke to Tom from the UK importers. He basicly said that on 7 or 10x mag there was very very little difference between the xp38 and xp50. So I went 38 for the extra field of view. What a bit of kit ... has accounted for several Charlies over the last few nights and saved me a lot of pointless walking .
PULSAR PLEASE fix the display brightness asap please !!!