Pulsar Lite XQ30V for bunny bashing/ light foxing

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
Zetter

Pulsar Lite XQ30V for bunny bashing/ light foxing

Post by Zetter » 09 Nov 2017, 10:26

Hi All

I have read a fair bit on here on the Pulsar XQ30V. At the moment I am using a Yukon digital spotter coupled with a Ward 700 on the rifle.
The XQ30V is really at the top of my budget range, my question to people who have used it is. Is it worth the step up for the money?
I know the hellion is the better unit but to be fair im pushing it with the XQ30V at the cost it is.

Cheers Zetter

Mini Magnum

Re: Pulsar Lite XQ30V for bunny bashing/ light foxing

Post by Mini Magnum » 09 Nov 2017, 13:29

Keep saving personally and get a Helion XQ38F you would be amazed how many try the Quantum and come back for a Helion.

Zetter

Post by Zetter » 09 Nov 2017, 13:55

Is it that much of a step up mate? It certainly is in price
Also on 2nd hand thermal is it worth the risk or steer clear?

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 09 Nov 2017, 14:17

Have a look at the Quantum XQ50 that in the classifieds, they are very good.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 09 Nov 2017, 15:11

I agree that the Quantum XQ38 and XQ50 are great thermals and the new Helions, despite all their bells and whistles, don't actually see any father or any better.
It's noticeable that the Quantums are really holding their price on the second hand market and it costs significantly more to buy a used XQ38 or XQ50 than it does to buy and new Quantum lite XQ30.
In fact some used XQ50s are going for close to what a new Helion XQ50 costs with commonly available discounts.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

wall90

Post by wall90 » 09 Nov 2017, 18:15

I have the xq38f ,and I use it for spotting rabbits and finding them after I have shot them when possible.i must say i am very happy with my choice,i was thinking of getting the quantum lite but in the end went for the next one up.i am only at the black cat rounderbout on the A1 if you would like to come and try it?

oggiegb

Post by oggiegb » 09 Nov 2017, 21:17

I've both a XQ23V and a XQ38f, the 30v has less features and you won't see so much detail due to the cheaper lens but you will see something approx rabbit sized is there.
The XQ38f has loads of really useful features (and more detail in the image) which you may yearn for tho.
Best to try them out, you're welcome to look thru mine if you're ever nr Reading area.

Clunge

Post by Clunge » 09 Nov 2017, 22:57

XQ30v (or XQ23v) would both be fine. Did you see my little video of bunnies and sheep at (laser ranged) 395 yards?

The range of the 23v would "only" be 3/4 of the 30v's but would give an even wider field of vision, which may be better for some spotting situations.

When I'm crawling through ditches and sheep shit, I'd far rather not be carrying >£2k lumps of tech in my pocket or around my neck. Especially when I remember how hard I had to work for it.

Zetter

Post by Zetter » 10 Nov 2017, 08:27

Thanks for the many offers to look through stuff as well from both Wall90 and Oggiegb I may take you up on the offer once ive got finances straight. Although much as I like the Helion its adding a fair bit to my budget which im pushing as it is.

Cheers Neil

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 11 Nov 2017, 13:20

Hi Neil.
IMO thermal spotters are expensive and their effectiveness is overrated.

I have the xq38f, its certainly good at picking up heat sources without letting the quarry know your there, but this can become undone when you use the i/r for the Wardy ?
Thermal won't alway's find shot rabbits or foxes, if there in a dip, or the vegetation is above them it won't find them, also if foxes can rush into a caller in a small area thermal is a lot slower than a red torch, then if your foxing in a sheep and lamb field finding a fox that laid down among them isn't easy to spot, where as a red torch will pick the different eye's out instantly (can also spook it).

If your struggling with money to fund £1300, and as others have said you really need to be going xq38f £1860-ish for a thermal, i would advise you to stick with what you have already, i doubt very much that you will shoot many more rabbits by spotting with the thermal over the night vision spotter you own already.

Dave (warbucks)