Pulsar 2018

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
wiiawiwb

Pulsar 2018

Post by wiiawiwb » 20 Nov 2017, 14:57

Are there any rumors/plans for new models or lines to be released in 2018?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Pulsar 2018

Post by phoenix » 20 Nov 2017, 16:08

Generally there will be some new stuff at the ShotShow in the USA in January.
Pulsar/Yukon are always there and often show new stuff - some of which makes it to the UK market and some which doesn't!!

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

PEterW

Post by PEterW » 20 Nov 2017, 18:32

Not sure I would do anything if I were pulsar, they have a range of great offerings and no effective competition.

Flir could be competition, their boson core (12micron 320/640 core with a supercomputer bolted to the back, same processor as DJI drones use) looks like a game changer, but they have minimal market impact after nearly 2years from announcement... either hard to make them or they’re maximising their profit?! We only tend to see 9Hz over here, which is not going to sell.

Pulsar could release a 1078x768pixel unit (ulis make a sensor), but I’m not sure of the pixel size and hence lens performance (lens cost being something that we could still do with a step change in). Could result is a very costly unit though.
Personally I hope we see a broad price cut (it’s amazing to see how things have changed in the past years) to further drive adoption and make it harder for others to keep up.

.... Should I take advantage of Black Friday/cyber Monday or wait for the shot show and hope any announcements become reality quickly....

PEterW

PS just noticed a new surface mount 320pixel 12micron core from ULIS, this could use smaller lenses to give the same magnification (as the move to 17micron has)... giving us another option for the compact and low cost end.... fingers crossed!

Barmyfarmer

Post by Barmyfarmer » 20 Nov 2017, 19:10

Why aren't we seeing more from armasight on the thermal scene? Import Regulations? Spec wise they look like they are competitive.
Following an american thermal group on Facebook and they only seem to be interested in the pulsar line up.

PEterW

Post by PEterW » 20 Nov 2017, 19:37

Thought FLIR bought Armasight, some people have been waiting a while for newly announced hard stuff. I spoke to a FLIR rep once and he mentioned some form of calculation on cost that giverened exportability of >9Hz units... I haven’t gone through the ITAR docs to check. Unless they can give us 30Hz they won’t be selling a lot of produce!

PEterW

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 20 Nov 2017, 19:44

Armasight are now owned by FLIR - and basically FLIR doesn't give a shit about anything other than military or commercial applications.
Sport hunting applications come way down their list of profit making enterprises so they don't spend much on developing new equipment for it.
Also, since most FLIR products are actually manufactured in the USA they are not allowed to export anything with more than a 9HZ refresh rate without an export licence.
It also means that anything thermal coming from Armasight will have a FLIR core
Probably the best thermal scope available is the Trijicon (previously IR defense) 60mm Reaper III which uses a 640x480 12 micron core made by BAE (BRITISH AEROSPACE) - but because the core is actually manufactured in the USA you can't buy them in the UK - f**kin ridiculous

Cheers

Bruce

PEterW

Post by PEterW » 20 Nov 2017, 20:00

BAE Systems is a UK/US corporation, been headcount reducing the U.K. of late. I wonder about the “BBC” camera.. made by Selex in Essex/Southampton.... it’s midIR so different technology and needs cooling.
Do hope Pulsar put a good lens on that new 12micron core... they’re not afraid of undercutting their own products as they drive the cost of entry down. Going to put a few more quid down the back of the sofa in anticipation!

PEterW

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 20 Nov 2017, 21:10

Re Pulsar and lenses.
I think they have really missed a trick by not making a 75mm lens version of the Trail XQ and XP.
The only person happy about that is Clive Ward :D

Cheers

Bruce

PEterW

Post by PEterW » 21 Nov 2017, 09:05

There doesn’t appear to be a 12micron 640 core... if I were Pulsar I’d be tempted to wait for that and then upgrade the helion series in one go... avoid confusion. It would be interesting to see a <£1000 entry level unit... pop the new 320 in the Quantum lite?!

Peter

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 21 Nov 2017, 09:49

AFAIK, Pulsar have only ever used ULIS thermal cores and I don't see any 12 micron stuff in their online listings.
I thought only FLIR and BAE made 12 micron 640 cores
I can't see FLIR selling cores to Pulsar, and if BAE were to sell to Pulsar (which I think extremely unlikely) then the price of the end product would increase significantly
The Quantum lite is interesting.
They definitely made it down to a price, using existing Quantum bodies and cheapo lenses. I also wonder if they used a lower grade sensor.
The old XQ models (XQ38 and XQ50) are still selling for a lot more on the used market than new Quantum lites. In fact there are used XQ models going for near the discounted price of the equivalent Helion models

Cheers

Bruce