PULSAR APEX XQ50 LRF

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
andy66

Re: PULSAR APEX XQ50 LRF

Post by andy66 » 11 Jan 2018, 18:00

blueroll wrote:Hmmm. Shooting setup ????? Weird results ???????
Stock swelling/shrinking causing barrel shift, scope rails coming slack when cold, velocity change over temperature. For instance my .223 load for summer and winter are different. If I use my summer load with 24gr of powder on a cold winter night I get a shift of 1MOA right and .3/4 MOA high at 100yds so winter time I run 23.4gr of powder as this gives me the same zero without adjusting the scope. It took me a while to work out what was going on as the shift to the right baffled me.

Heres a video of what effect I get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv-t0vO9IR8

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 11 Jan 2018, 22:10

andy66 wrote:
Stock swelling/shrinking causing barrel shift, scope rails coming slack when cold, velocity change over temperature. For instance my .223 load for summer and winter are different. If I use my summer load with 24gr of powder on a cold winter night I get a shift of 1MOA right and .3/4 MOA high at 100yds so winter time I run 23.4gr of powder as this gives me the same zero without adjusting the scope. It took me a while to work out what was going on as the shift to the right baffled me.

Thanks for the info. So you don`t think your getting any POI shift that is down to the unit itself then ?

andy66

Post by andy66 » 11 Jan 2018, 23:07

blueroll wrote:
andy66 wrote:

Thanks for the info. So you don`t think your getting any POI shift that is down to the unit itself then ?
What sort of issues are you experiencing? Have you tried it on another rifle?

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 12 Jan 2018, 14:37

Looks like I am getting a 2" (100yds) POI shift left from starting off at room temp, then gradually moving as it gets colder out on the range.
I have now mounted it onto a different rifle with the QD112 mount that has a longer mount radius and uses 4 screws into the body, so wait and see when I get chance to try.
I notice that in the handbook it does state possible POI shift due to temp change, but no explanation why.
It would be interesting if somebody from Pulsar and/or Thomas Jack would explain the possibility. Is it body material or mounting rail/base interface with the pic rail ???????????

scirroco

Post by scirroco » 12 Jan 2018, 14:42

Its gotts be something to do with body material ...none of my rifles with normal scopes dont shift at all even when shooting in temps down to minus -20. ..most probably the plastic expanding and contracting..orsomethinh else seriously wrong, a piece of kit like that is about as much use as a chocolate fire guard
Rgss steve
Rgds steve

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 12 Jan 2018, 19:43

Shame if it is and has to be moved on as it is a nice bit of kit. Excellent crisp image at its base mag of 1.6 and fantastic field of view for picking up Charlie, even at close range. Also a perfectly usable digital mag up, 3.2 looks as good as optical and near to near 200yds on 12.8.

andy66

Post by andy66 » 15 Jan 2018, 17:31

blueroll wrote:Looks like I am getting a 2" (100yds) POI shift left from starting off at room temp, then gradually moving as it gets colder out on the range.
I have now mounted it onto a different rifle with the QD112 mount that has a longer mount radius and uses 4 screws into the body, so wait and see when I get chance to try.
I notice that in the handbook it does state possible POI shift due to temp change, but no explanation why.
It would be interesting if somebody from Pulsar and/or Thomas Jack would explain the possibility. Is it body material or mounting rail/base interface with the pic rail ???????????
Wow 2'' is a huge poi shift, fingers crossed you do not get the same results on the 2nd rifle.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 15 Jan 2018, 20:28

andy66 wrote:
blueroll wrote:Looks like I am getting a 2" (100yds) POI shift left from starting off at room temp, then gradually moving as it gets colder out on the range.
Wow 2'' is a huge poi shift, fingers crossed you do not get the same results on the 2nd rifle.
Indeed so do I. Just waiting for this crappy weather to clear off, for the verdict.

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 16 Jan 2018, 07:53

I've used three Trail models and Two Apex models and have had no POI issues at all on any of them. Some of the US users are reporting slight POI changes in extreme weather variation, but like said it can be down to many other factors also , mounting issues combined with high calibre semi-autos, etc

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 16 Jan 2018, 13:02

Mini Magnum wrote:I've used three Trail models and Two Apex models and have had no POI issues at all on any of them. Some of the US users are reporting slight POI changes in extreme weather variation, but like said it can be down to many other factors also , mounting issues combined with high calibre semi-autos, etc
Thanks for the info. I am hoping for the best as it is a fantastic unit, the image at 1.6x and 3.2x (in perfect conditions) is unbelievable.