PULSAR APEX XQ50 LRF

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
Mini Magnum

Re: PULSAR APEX XQ50 LRF

Post by Mini Magnum » 16 Jan 2018, 13:42

Yes great units all have there place, they allow me to really get on top of the rabbits in certain areas, were a torch or NV would never allow , i.e hedges, woodland, back end of season. NV has its place for 100% ID on longer range shots, but thermal, just has that edge for shooting in cover, rapid target acquisition and tracking on movement ..

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 19 Jan 2018, 20:49

blueroll wrote:
andy66 wrote:
blueroll wrote:Looks like I am getting a 2" (100yds) POI shift left from starting off at room temp, then gradually moving as it gets colder out on the range.
I have now mounted it onto a different rifle with the QD112 mount that has a longer mount radius and uses 4 screws into the body, so wait and see when I get chance to try.
I notice that in the handbook it does state possible POI shift due to temp change, but no explanation why.
It would be interesting if somebody from Pulsar and/or Thomas Jack would explain the possibility. Is it body material or mounting rail/base interface with the pic rail ???????????
Wow 2'' is a huge poi shift, fingers crossed you do not get the same results on the 2nd rifle.
Indeed so do I. Just waiting for this crappy weather to clear off, for the verdict.
Had chance to do a bit more testing this morning (freezing) and early indications are that it is the mount (alloy) to rail (steel) interface that is causing POI shift. Not sure yet if it is settling in after the change to another rifle (recoil vibes) or temp relation between the mount and rail, as I found that what I thought had been tight levers on the mount took another half turn with the Alan key, which then caused a 2" shift right and 2" low. After re-zeroing I got a nice clover leaf touching group 3/4" above the bull. Just need another trip out to confirm my findings.

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 20 Jan 2018, 01:04

Removing and fitting a trail to a weaver rail using standard mount, if the mounts are tightened less or more each time it’s fitted, affects windage. Torque wrench would help a lot.

andy66

Post by andy66 » 20 Jan 2018, 09:06

Good to hear you are getting to the bottom of things. Ian, what are the quick release mounts like compared to the one supplied with the apex/trail? What I mean is do they hold perfect zero when removed and re-fitted?

Andy

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 20 Jan 2018, 10:29

They can all move marginally, most ensure the stop on the mount is pushed tight against there rail when fitting, but you really need to ensure when tightening its done evenly either side and to the same torque to get the best repeatability. I noticed a cm change sometimes others can sometimes see an inch, or it can be bag on again....I've been removing between rifles, then I zero check once fitted doesn't take long.

There both similar the standard and quick release rail imo in turns of repeatability if tightened correctly.

andy66

Post by andy66 » 20 Jan 2018, 13:01

Good to hear, thanks for clearing that up.

Andy

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 20 Jan 2018, 14:34

andy66 wrote:Good to hear, thanks for clearing that up.

Andy
Andy.
It is the QD112 mount that I am referring to. I took off the standard mount in favour of the QD112 as it uses all 4 screws, as opposed to 3 in the standard, figuring that it would be more secure, It also has a longer mounting radius. The down side, even if it is okay, is that I won`t feel confident using it between rifles without checking zero, so it will have to live on the Prohunter permanent.
I suppose you will always suffer inconsistencies (unless you torque) with the alloy mount/steel rail because of the different metals, but then again I never had problems with the Dronepro mount on the same rifle. Maybe the answer (with a weight penalty) would be for pulsar to commission a steel mount from somebody.