Best thermal scope

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
Flanker

Best thermal scope

Post by Flanker » 23 Jan 2018, 17:37

Hi just wondered if there’s anything out there yet that’s better than the pulsar apex xd 75.

Mini Magnum

Re: Best thermal scope

Post by Mini Magnum » 23 Jan 2018, 17:41

Apex XQ50 or Trail XQ50, sharper more detailed image due to better 17 micron sensor. Also Clives WT-75-3 and WT75-50 scopes. WT-75-3 giving the best image.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 23 Jan 2018, 18:35

I had a chance to look through a Pulsar Apex XD75 last night alongside a Ward 75-6 and a Ward 50-3 equivalents
IMHO, Both the Wards gave a better image than the Pulsar although the reticles in the Pulsar are better than the Wards.
You need to remember that the Apex XD75 still uses the old 25 micron thermal sensor, The new Pulsar Trails and all the Wards use the newer 17 micron sensor.
The Ward 75-3 is the best bang for your buck

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Flanker

Post by Flanker » 23 Jan 2018, 18:50

Just wondered if the cores add on are any good yet as I would like to zero once and forget rather than always checking & altering the zero before every outing!

Thanks for the feedback so far.

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 23 Jan 2018, 20:10

Flanker wrote:Just wondered if the cores add on are any good yet as I would like to zero once and forget rather than always checking & altering the zero before every outing!

Thanks for the feedback so far.
I put my WT1 75-3 on my .22 Hornet around 2 years ago and have only zeroed it the once when I put it on there. :thumbup:

If it helps I can and have used much more expensive thermal rifle scopes and the WT1 75-3 is definitely the best performer. I could use any thermal front add on, but I don't. :shh:

All front add ons suffer from poor system resolution compared to dedicated scopes. Also zero retention is a big concern as with a digital or thermal add on you are relying on exact repeatability of the attachment system to retain zero. You may as well just use a torque wrench and decent mounts on dedicated day and thermal scopes to achieve better accuracy of zero retention and not handicap yourself with poor performance on the add on. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 23 Jan 2018, 20:12

There' a much greater possibility of losing zero with a core add-on than there is with a full thermal riflescope mounted directly to the rifle with a picatinney rail.
As is usual with things designed to do 2 jobs, it does neither as well as a dedicated instrument.
In riflescope front add-on mode, the individual pixels in the display rapidly become visible as soon as the scope magnification is increased about around x4.
Another supposed advantage is that the core can be used with different rifles. That's true, but each riflescope will require a specific adaptor to match the diameter of the scopes objective - and the adaptors cost £100 each
Buy a Ward WT1 thermal, mount it on a rifle, zero it once and it's job done (unless you change ammo)

Cheers

Bruce

Nightguru

Post by Nightguru » 12 Feb 2018, 19:40

Dont really agree with you guys a good add on should be colimated meaning that it does not affect day zero. As long as the 1:1 is correct then theres no problem. The only reason for an add on is so that you can use it on many rifles and not have to have a dedicated night rifle. This is especially important if you are for example foxing and lose the light. Why wouldn't you want a thermal spotter that can be then added to your scope?

The argument of looking at pixels is very wrong. What do you expect a telescope looking at a screen. You should adjust the magnification of your rifle scope so the image is clear. With a decent thermal add on the resolution of the image should be good enough. If it is not then you have either the wrong thermal add on or shooting at too high zoom.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 12 Feb 2018, 23:25

Re the pixels - you are correct that the scope magnification should be adjusted so that the image is clear and there is no pixellation. The problem is that the maximum magnification you can use and still get a good image may well be insufficient to get a clear enough image of your target to be confident of hitting it. A fox at 200 plus yards is going to need a fair degree of magnification to make it a large enough target to shoot at with any degree of confidence and the magnification required to make the target big enough may well be beyond the limit at which the level of pixellation is acceptable

Cheers

Bruce

Sussexsteve

Post by Sussexsteve » 13 Feb 2018, 07:30

Ward WT1 75-3 is the best thermal scope available at the right price

Nightguru

Post by Nightguru » 14 Feb 2018, 07:50

phoenix wrote:Re the pixels - you are correct that the scope magnification should be adjusted so that the image is clear and there is no pixellation. The problem is that the maximum magnification you can use and still get a good image may well be insufficient to get a clear enough image of your target to be confident of hitting it. A fox at 200 plus yards is going to need a fair degree of magnification to make it a large enough target to shoot at with any degree of confidence and the magnification required to make the target big enough may well be beyond the limit at which the level of pixellation is acceptable

Cheers

Bruce
I agree with your statement but most thermal standalone scopes do not have optical zoom so all you are doing is filling in the blanks. The best option is to have at least a 60-75mm objective then the magnification would be suitable for the fox at 200 yards and the fow would mean that you could use less zoom on your rifle scope. I often shoot out to 800m with a 75mm objective thermal clip on and can resolve a man size target.