A bad influence

What's the verdict gents

Postby rodp » 28 Jan 2018, 00:09

"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

thesmi

Re: What's the verdict gents

Postby thesmi » 28 Jan 2018, 11:03

Looks good being able to use your own rings to mount it, no doubt will be up show but will be crap viewing conditions ie indoors with alot of heat and close up humans

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 28 Jan 2018, 12:12

Hi Rod,

Looks interesting.

They don't mention specs for the cores used or lenses.

My concerns are the slowness of the lenses due to the limiting objective housing size which won't be very handy for cold, wet, foggy England.

I'm not sure how they have moved on now but in the current range of ATN thermal rifle scopes the input / output lag was atrocious when I looked through one; and the digital zoom turned everything into blocky space invaders, rather than properly interpolating the image.

I'll have a look at IWA.

Cheers

Clive

Darren.R

Postby Darren.R » 28 Jan 2018, 13:25

Off topic, but I like the look of the rangefinder at the bottom of the page, a much better solution to having one rail mounted.

Atb,
Darren.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Postby phoenix » 28 Jan 2018, 15:34

rodp wrote:https://www.atncorp.com/thermal-scope-thor-4-640-1-10x

I suppose the verdict has to be - we don't know
Until one is available to test under our UK conditions then I don't think we can say if they're any good or not.
However, given ATN's track record, I'm not holding my breath for anything special
ATN are masters at producing fantastic advertising which doesn't really tell you much about the basic specs of the product.
However, digging into the information they have provided and using what we know about current thermal technology, it looks as if they are using 17 micron cores (if they were using 12 micron cores they would be shouting about it)
So, assuming a 17 micron core and a 640x480 sensor, the model with claimed 4-40x magnification and a field of view of 6x4.7 degrees would have a 100mm focal length lens
The 1-10x has a 19mm lens
The 1.5-15x has a 25mm lens
The 2.5-25x has a 50mm lens
They don't specify the aperture of the lens but I fancy it's going to be a LOT slower than the F1.0 lens on the WT series.
It's difficult to estimate from the pictures but I wouldn't be surprised if the 100mm version has a lens that's less than 50m diameter making it f2 or slower.
Bearing in mind that doubling the f number reduces the sensitivity to temperature change by half, then it might not only be slow, it might not be very sensitive
Also, unless they can ship them into the UK direct from the factory in China where they're made (ATN have done that previously) then they cannot be supplied from the USA because of ITAR.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 29 Jan 2018, 16:53

Much of what I thought knowing ATN's advertising of old. Just wondered if they'd made some astounding new discovery relevant to thermal, but like you say, if they had it would be shouted from the rooftops.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Return to “thermal imaging”