Thermal or night vision

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
glencunningham

Thermal or night vision

Post by glencunningham » 31 Jan 2018, 18:51

This has probably been asked before
And being sensible money wise.

What’s the best rifle scope for out to 150 yds max. does thermal give a clearer picture or NV with a good IR

Also opinion on what to go for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Thermal or night vision

Post by phoenix » 31 Jan 2018, 19:22

NV will give the clearer picture if the IR is right.
A Yukon Photon is the best bang for your buck NV and it will cope with 150 yards.
Digital NV needs a lot of IR illumination to work well and that can sometimes spook your potential quarry, and also cause the camera to overload and "white out" if there is a lot of vegetation between you and your target.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

glencunningham

Post by glencunningham » 31 Jan 2018, 19:31

Just sold my photon and was looking for something better

andy66

Post by andy66 » 31 Jan 2018, 19:31

Sensible money that's the thermal ruled out.

glencunningham

Post by glencunningham » 31 Jan 2018, 19:41

Why would it rule out thermal as I know they are in the thousands not hundreds

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 31 Jan 2018, 22:28

I guess it depends on what you think is sensible.
If you've used a photon then you have pretty good idea what digital NV looks like.
Since the Drone pro is no longer available new and the more expensive Pulsars aren't really much better than Photon (you're paying for more toys, not a better image) then thermal would appear to be the way forward for you.
If you want to shoot at 150 yards then you realistically need a thermal scope with at least a 50mm lens.
That means Pulsar Trail XQ50 or XP50, Pulsar Apex XQ50LRF or Ward WT1 -50-3, Ward WT1-75-3

Cheers

Bruce

glencunningham

Post by glencunningham » 31 Jan 2018, 22:53

Thanks for your comments Bruce as I’ve got the Helion XP50 I kind of thought I would probably have to stick with thermal. I did here a lot of people liked the drone pro but never got the chance to use it. I was kind of hoping there might have been something cheaper than having to go for pulsar trail

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 01 Feb 2018, 08:25

If you're using a thermal with a 640 core then you might not be happy with a riflescope that only has a 384 core.
The image on your XP50 on x2 digital zoom will look like the image on a Trail XQ50/Apex XQ50/Ward WT1-50-3 without any digital zoom.
Look at targets at 150 yards with your XP 50 and decide, if what you were looking through was a riflescope and not a spotter, whether you would take the shot.
If you think the magnification is too low for a clear image of the target, then you need to go to a thermal scope with a 75mm lens - either a WT1-75-3 (for maximum magnification) or WT1-75-6 for best image quality.
I would not consider the Pulsar Apex XD75 since it uses the old 25 micron sensor as opposed to the newer 17 micron sensor which is in all the other spotter and riflescopes discussed here

Cheers

Bruce

glencunningham

Post by glencunningham » 01 Feb 2018, 08:32

Thanks Bruce. I really appreciate your help on this matter. I’ll try the spotter after dinner tonight. I have a fox sized target and let you know my thoughts on it.
Regards Glen

MUSKY

Post by MUSKY » 05 Feb 2018, 05:55

Hi mate.
I was in exactly the same situation as you.
I use a Helion XP50 for spotting and was using a pulsar n970 lrf on my 223 and could easily see well over the 200yd mark clearly with one of Clive Wards little B2 IR's. The problem comes when like Bruce said you have something between you and the target, your IR can and will hit that and illuminate that rather than your target. Although you have a true picture of what you are looking at with the digital it can let you down and will in some circumstances. I got sick of this and bought an Apex XQ50. Although its not quite as good a picture as the Helion XP50 I actually prefer the picture in the scope and I have had quite a number of foxes now using my new toy. You just have to be really careful for identification. I had a fox sitting less than 100yds away from me the other night and I was convinced that it was a hare until he started walking off. I then got on the rifle and had to take him at nearly 200yds. I could definitely not go back to digital and love the thermals.
Good luck with your decision.