Video showing thermal performance

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Video showing thermal performance

Post by phoenix » 23 Mar 2018, 13:22

This video was just posted on SD https://youtu.be/5srQd6IuCio
Although the titles and speech are in Polish, it's pretty obvious that initially, the guy is trying to explain the difference in resolution between the 384x288 sensor in the Helion XQ models and the 640x480 sensor in the Helion XP models
The side by side videos of the 4 different models showing images at different distance and levels of digital zoom are far and away the best I've seen.
For anyone thinking of buying a thermal spotter this video should be required viewing so that they can clearly see how each performs relative to each other.
If anyone can translate from the Polish, that would great

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

camo304

Re: Video showing thermal performance

Post by camo304 » 23 Mar 2018, 14:28

Good find that Bruce, defo a good watch if somebody is thinking of buying.

ucanthide

Post by ucanthide » 25 Mar 2018, 19:05

I saw this on youtube, really the manufacturers should make videos like this showing the capabilities of their products but they never do.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 25 Mar 2018, 20:46

ucanthide wrote:I saw this on youtube, really the manufacturers should make videos like this showing the capabilities of their products but they never do.
You're right on both points, but since it would reduce the confusion for a potential buyer who doesn't understand the technology or terminology, they don't want to risk having someone buy a cheaper model when thy could be persuaded to buy a more expensive one.
Smart potential buyers come to sites like this to find out what will suit them best before they splash their cash :thumbup:

Cheers

Bruce

ucanthide

Post by ucanthide » 25 Mar 2018, 21:15

true, but even companies like Pulsar who produce decent products at reasonable prices dont make this sort of comparison video, just annoys me why almost all companies feel the need to sell by deception. By the way, have you seen the ULIS Atto320 12um detector that has been released? I wonder where it will be used first...

Daniel

PEterW

Post by PEterW » 26 Mar 2018, 17:56

I have been wondering about the Ulis too... only a 320pixel core, so equivalent to the (unobtanoum) FLIR boson. I would hope/expect Pulsar to announce something, Hunter maybe they’ll wait a bit given they’ve just announced a couple of new units like the binocular. Maybe they’ll wait till FLIR release something, maybe they’ll wait till Ulis offer a 640core as well.

PEter

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 28 Mar 2018, 12:29

Thanks for that Bruce, quite glad i bought the XQ50 now, however my Mate here next to me says it's Lithuanian, and He would know it's his mother tongue, The Guy in the Video is just say he has done a side by side comparison of all the models so we can make our minds up on which one would suit us. i believe all the Pulsar products are built in Lithuania, just need a contact now to see if we can get some discount.

PEterW

Post by PEterW » 06 Apr 2018, 21:47

OK so we might have to wait till later in the year, but scale ramp of the 320 and announcement of the 640. Wonder when we’ll see the next price drop from sensor pixel shrink... drop in replacement for the current sensors...
https://www.ulis-ir.com/media/press-rel ... f-12-m.pdf
Time to get saving

Peter

ucanthide

Post by ucanthide » 08 Apr 2018, 15:50

I wonder what the pinnacle of military thermal imager tech is? the TWS thermal weapon sight is a 17um detector with 75mm, 150mm, and 300mm lens choices...but its still 17um same as civilian thermal scopes. Id love to know the specifications of the thermal cameras used by spy satellites and Predator drones....able to view us from many miles away.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 08 Apr 2018, 17:18

I don't think the military has anything better than 12 micron sensors and probably not more than just HD (1024x768)
What they do have are large zoom lenses.
You see these ex military lenses come up in E bay now and again selling for £30K plus
It's not difficult to mount a 200 or 250mm lens on an aircraft, drone or helicopter.
I had the opportunity to have quite close look at the thermal imager on a Tornado up at RAF Lossiemouth a couple of years ago and although, unsurprisingly, they wouldn't tell me any of the specs it was obvious from the diameter of the lens that the focal length was well in excess of 200mm.
I also don't think they can view us with thermal from more than 2 or 3 miles away.
Visual cameras with multimega pixel sensors and long lenses can do that