Thermal scope focus/poi

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
BUNNYBLASTER6

Thermal scope focus/poi

Post by BUNNYBLASTER6 » 28 Mar 2018, 14:46

Has anybody experienced a change in POI when altering focus ( from zero point focus ) on their thermal scope?
Reason i ask, is that having watched a fair number of thermal vids, quite a lot of shots are taken with the quarry out of focus.
I'm aware that time may not be on the shooters side when lining up for the shot, and that on increase in mag a decrease in picture quality is often the result.
But, having experienced POI shift on lesser nv scopes with no doubt variable quality lens i wondered whether this afflicted thermal scopes?
Thinking of Ward WT, Pulsar XQ50 etc.
Mike

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Thermal scope focus/poi

Post by phoenix » 28 Mar 2018, 15:45

Never had any focus POI shift problems with my 75-6.
In fact the focus control is rarely touched.
I simply don't think a YouTube (or any other) video can re create the entirety of what the shooter sees through the display.
I normally get onto the target in x1 and confirm what it is in x1 before going to x4 for the shot. The loss of sharpness in x4 is not a problem for me because I know what the target is and I'm now concentrating on keeping the aiming point in the middle of the target. No head shots - just centre of mass

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 28 Mar 2018, 17:50

I’m much the same as Bruce with my 75-3.... I’ve never had any poi shift and the scope is put on and taken off again with every outing. The cross-bars on the mount are a snug fit on my picatinny rails and occasionally they’re only done up finger tight as I’ve forgotten to use the Pulsar 1nm torque wrench or the thumbwheel driver from Wilco (dirt cheap.... the 13mm socket is more expensive!)...never made a difference to poi on my 243.

I’ve usually got my focus set to around the 100/120m mark being my preferred killing range for most of the places I sit, so as soon as foxy comes into sharp focus I know where it’s at. Have to say I rarely touch the focus and just concentrate on the shot...... it’s a bit like the Drone... set the focus at 120 and you’re good to go all the way in to right in front of the seat and all the way out to over 200.

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

BUNNYBLASTER6

Post by BUNNYBLASTER6 » 28 Mar 2018, 21:26

Thanks for the replies, i guess the focus once set is pretty forgiving over a wide range.
Mike

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 29 Mar 2018, 10:06

I have not had a problem with my Trail but you cant be that precise when you mag up like a day scope. As Bruce said you just mag up and aim centre mass.

bradleyhardacre

Post by bradleyhardacre » 31 Mar 2018, 22:05

Well as someone returning to the shooting sport/conservation arena after an unfortunate and imposed long break, I don't like the sound of this. I'm new to this forum and yet to introduce myself. However briefly, I haven't as yet been a game shooter just an exterminator of vermin. The usual stuff in my earlier years mainly using shotgun on sky-rats and then prior to my hiatus more attracted to accuracy with pcp air rifle on still sky-rats plus corvid, brown rats, greys and mink. So, " just mag up and aim centre mass" may be somewhat a less attractive, more modern sports/conservation scenario I was exited and looking forward to re-engaging with...

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 31 Mar 2018, 23:15

IMHO, if you're using a thermal scope, you're not a game shooter, you ARE a vermin controller
I live in Scotland and it's illegal to shoot deer using a thermal scope. Effectively, the only things that can be legally shot with a thermal scope in Scotland are vermin and fox.
I thoroughly enjoy shooting rabbits and foxes with a thermal scope, but I never lose sight of the fact that what I'm doing is vermin control and the purpose is to kill what I'm shooting at.
Thermal scopes simply can't provide the detailed image that a conventional glass scope can, so, in most cases to ensure a killing hit means aiming at the centre of mass. Try for a head shot and the risk of a miss is, for me, too high

Chers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 01 Apr 2018, 08:27

Slow down Bradley....your post reads as if you misread blueroll’s post?

‘mag up’ ...refers to the ‘scope magnification and not the capacity of the magazine. “Centre mass” is instinctively where the vast majority of shooters aim for a quick, humane kill...... the heart, lung area. Depending on the quality and accuracy of your equipment, the situation and your own skill level then other points of aim can be considered.

Isn’t that exactly what you do as a self-proclaimed ‘exterminator of vermin’?

This applies to both shotgun (you could argue that you’re increasing your odds by using cartridges loaded with x number of pellet thereby “magging up”) and rifle work.

Cheers
Fizz
8-)
ps welcome to the forum
pps why not just call them pigeon? ffs.

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

bradleyhardacre

Post by bradleyhardacre » 01 Apr 2018, 21:26

Well I didn't know of the law re only vermin thermal shooting in Scotland. Difficult to enforce clearly, but I go along with it. I didn't misread anything. There's no doubt air rifle sport necessarily has to involve greater accuracy than a centre of mass shot. For sure with rabbit and mink a head shot is the only way. For me anyhow. Not all will agree. I understand how in the case of most vermin a high velocity weapon targeting centre mass will work. But even with FAC air the range needs to be short and the quarry small for anything other than a preferred head shot. Again, just my opinion. In my earlier post I wasn't levelling anything negative other than having myself been used to accurate shooting it's clear with thermal that isn't the case.

bradleyhardacre

Post by bradleyhardacre » 01 Apr 2018, 21:30

On another topic that I skirted on in another thread previously. What do you guys think about spotting with drones... day or night. Is it OK?