Thermal Scope Target

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
FreshFace

Re: Thermal Scope Target

Post by FreshFace » 30 Sep 2018, 20:49

Nightguru wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 16:39
i find for the best thermal zeroing i have 4 power resistors on each side of a square paper target. This was you should never hit the resistors as well as have a paper record. Just line up the lines of the chrosshair with the resistors.

Could you please let us have a few more details/specs on this, sounds like a great idea.

Nightguru

Post by Nightguru » 30 Sep 2018, 21:05

no problem ill take some photos

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 30 Sep 2018, 21:23

This was my idea i had a while back, got too busy to make one but the theory will work. Even if you cut one or two wires with a bullet the circuit stays in tact ( if not a little hotter due to resistance change ) on a thermal scope you will see the rings very well !

click on the link to see zoomed up !

CRS

FreshFace

Post by FreshFace » 01 Oct 2018, 18:34

CustomRifleScopesUK wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 21:23
This was my idea i had a while back, got too busy to make one but the theory will work. Even if you cut one or two wires with a bullet the circuit stays in tact ( if not a little hotter due to resistance change ) on a thermal scope you will see the rings very well !

click on the link to see zoomed up !
CRS
Thank you CRS, that is a great, simple idea, may try one at the weekend.
Nightguru wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 21:05
no problem ill take some photos
Thanks NIghtguru, that would be superb.

I normally just take the gas torch and heat up a gong, but it is a PITA when you have to hump it any distance to set up.

elmer fudd

Post by elmer fudd » 04 Oct 2018, 08:23

Just been looking through the new Bushwear catalogue and came across the Thermbright thermal targets on p.95.

Has anyone used these and got any comments?

They seem a good idea, possibly a little expensive but then again they are supposed to be military grade that will last a long time.

Might be possible to make a target out of a sheet of the cheaper repair patches?

http://www.thermbright.com/

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 04 Oct 2018, 09:24

elmer fudd wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 08:23
Just been looking through the new Bushwear catalogue and came across the Thermbright thermal targets on p.95.

They seem a good idea, possibly a little expensive but then again they are supposed to be military grade that will last a long time.

Might be possible to make a target out of a sheet of the cheaper repair patches?

Seen them and you can simulate the same by using tin foil at a slight angle towards the sky, by 12 deg or so for the best results, you don’t need the sun as such but you do need daylight for best results. Cut out your desire shape, be it cross, square
Or whatever. Try not to make too thin as thermal optics may not pick it up at longer distance.
I used sticky foil tape on a 2inch reel, easy to use, just tare desired length and stick to your target !

Won’t be as good as a heated target but good enough to zero your rifle !

CRS

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 04 Oct 2018, 09:24

elmer fudd wrote:
04 Oct 2018, 08:23

Seen them and you can simulate the same by using tin foil at a slight angle towards the sky, by 12 deg or so for the best results, you don’t need the sun as such but you do need daylight for best results. Cut out your desire shape, be it cross, square
Or whatever. Try not to make too thin as thermal optics may not pick it up at longer distance.
I used sticky foil tape on a 2inch reel, easy to use, just tare desired length and stick to your target !

Won’t be as good as a heated target but good enough to zero your rifle !

CRS