Two questions about using Helion

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
wiiawiwb

Two questions about using Helion

Post by wiiawiwb » 21 Aug 2018, 11:24

I got the Helion XQ28F and started using it last night. Wow, it is amazing and perfect for scanning. I can only image what an XP50 must be like. I found myself fumbling around trying to figure out whether to use a short press, long press, or up or down buttons as I scrolled though the menu. It's going to take a little while until I get my sea legs. Two questions.

First, calibration is mentioned but under what circumstance would you ever set it to anything but automatic? Why would I want to calibrate it manually or in semi mode?

Second, the wrap on the unit that cradles my hand around it causes my three fingers to align with the last three buttons rather than the first three buttons. I tried to adjust the length and velcro but couldn't get it to align with the first three buttons no matter what I did. Any suggestions?

blueroll

Re: Two questions about using Helion

Post by blueroll » 21 Aug 2018, 12:36

I can`t help you with your question about calibration cos I keep mine on auto, but the advice I can give you is to ditch the wrist strap and attach/screw a neck lanyard to the tripod adapter then it is always handy when you need to keep an eye on a moving fox/rabbit whilst mounting the rifle in your quad sticks. If you have a jacket with chest pockets you stow it in them when your walking ton stop it bumping around.

warbucks

Post by warbucks » 21 Aug 2018, 14:20

Quote" why would you want to calibrate it manually"

I have the xq38f, if i leave it to re calibrate automatically in warm weather its doing this in under 10 seconds -------all the time, i am told that it is this shutter working that after a period of time WILL cause the thermal to break down ------for this reason + it isn't that necessary for it to do it this often, i have set mine to work on manual ----one short press IF, and WHEN YOU want it, i have had no problems.

Dave (warbucks)

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 21 Aug 2018, 14:36

In auto calibration mode, the Helion will re-calibrate whenever it sees a large or rapid change in temperature
i.e if you are looking at something hot and then move to something cold (or vice versa) it will calibrate.
It will also calibrate when even relatively small changes in temperature occur quickly.
Try scanning a field which has some cattle in it - that's guaranteed to make it calibrate.
If you put it in manual calibration mode then you will notice the quality of the image degrading with time as non uniformity in the sensor accumulates.
However, you choose when to calibrate and a lot of people prefer this option.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 21 Aug 2018, 17:43

I went to the manual and it said:

"Mode М(manual). Close the lens cover, turn the device on with a short press of the ON button (11). Having finished calibration, open the lens cover."

I did that and nothing pops up on the screen to calibrate. All I see is a gray background. How do I get the calibration process to start?

I went to YouTube and there was nothing about calibration.

curlew

Post by curlew » 21 Aug 2018, 20:30

i think it will be a short press of the off button to calibrate it

Ozalid

Post by Ozalid » 23 Aug 2018, 08:16

wiiawiwb wrote:I got the Helion XQ28F and started using it last night. Wow, it is amazing and perfect for scanning. I can only image what an XP50 must be like. I found myself fumbling around trying to figure out whether to use a short press, long press, or up or down buttons as I scrolled though the menu. It's going to take a little while until I get my sea legs. Two questions.

First, calibration is mentioned but under what circumstance would you ever set it to anything but automatic? Why would I want to calibrate it manually or in semi mode?

Second, the wrap on the unit that cradles my hand around it causes my three fingers to align with the last three buttons rather than the first three buttons. I tried to adjust the length and velcro but couldn't get it to align with the first three buttons no matter what I did. Any suggestions?
I have the XQ38F and I find the same with the carry strap, but I’ve just got used to using both hands to operate it.
After reading the comments on this thread I didn’t realise that it was temperature that caused the image to degrade and recalibrate, I have tried all three settings and now just leave it on auto, less to fiddle with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wiiawiwb

Post by wiiawiwb » 23 Aug 2018, 12:38

The semi-automatic mode a good compromise or is it the worst of both worlds?

gji25

Post by gji25 » 20 Sep 2018, 14:32

this is normal: when the device has just been started and is still "cold", it calibrates quite often

in the AUTO mode. The longer the device operates without stop,

less frequently it calibrates.

You may switch to semi-automatic or manual mode if you do not

want frequent calibrations.
this is the reply I got from pulsar themselves