Pulsar trail Xq38

A place for all thermal spotter and riflescope questions and info
bobjs

Pulsar trail Xq38

Post by bobjs » 23 Aug 2018, 13:00

any good.?

need a honest reply please. :thumbup: :thumbdown: :shock:

my mate is thinking of one and selling his drone ?

bob.
known by many. liked by some. hated by a few.what would you do,who cares lets get out shooting
WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it.

http://lupusuk.org.uk/donate-now

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Pulsar trail Xq38

Post by phoenix » 23 Aug 2018, 14:14

Not as a replacement for a Drone Pro - the optical magnification on the Trail Xq38 is only x2.1.
With x4 digital zoom it will go up to x8.4, but the image quality at that magnification will be rubbish.
The only sensible thermal scope replacement for a Drone Pro is Clives WT1-75-3, with optical mag of x6

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

bobjs

Post by bobjs » 23 Aug 2018, 14:55

cheers bruce

glad he has not spent the money yet.

bob.
known by many. liked by some. hated by a few.what would you do,who cares lets get out shooting
WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it.

http://lupusuk.org.uk/donate-now

Ubique

Post by Ubique » 23 Aug 2018, 16:52

Out of curiosity, how does the xp50 trail stack up against the 10x drone?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 23 Aug 2018, 17:49

Ubique wrote:
23 Aug 2018, 16:52
Out of curiosity, how does the xp50 trail stack up against the 10x drone?

It doesn't.
The optical magnification of the Trail XP50 is only x1.6 - even worse than the XQ38
Although the XP50 has a longer focal length lens than the XQ38 (38mm v 50mm) the sensor in the XP50 is much larger than the sensor in the XQ38 (640x480 pixels v 384x388 pixels and all pixels the same size at 17 micron)
The larger sensor has the effect of making the magnification smaller.
The highest optical magnification thermal scope that Pulsar currently offer is the Trail XQ50 which has an optical magnification of x2.7
Pulsar used to do an Apex thermal scope with a 75mm lens and a 384x288 sensor with 25 micron pixels that had more magnification than any of their current models

Cheers

Bruce

Ubique

Post by Ubique » 23 Aug 2018, 18:06

Thanks Bruce, more than enough detail to help make my mind up.

ezzy

Post by ezzy » 24 Aug 2018, 12:04

Another one Bruce,
Does the XQ50 get close to matching the Drone 10x or does the 75-3 surpass both with the larger lens, a positive ID picture would be my sticking point. In Australia we are limited to Pulsar as the main player and ATN, maybe the next generation can beat a 75-3 and be the winner? at what cost? I've had great success with my Drone and XQ19 spotter(should have been bold and got a 38) and need to prove a thermal scope is a positive step up. My research on UK export laws could restrict Clive selling to Australia and dealing direct with China is another risk I'm not sure of taking.
Thanks in advance, the forum was well worth joining.
Mark

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 24 Aug 2018, 12:32

The image quality on the Drone is better than than any of the current commercially available thermal scopes and it has higher optical magnification than any of the current commercially available scopes.
Both of those factor are due to it's having a smaller sensor, but with more pixels and a longer focal length objective lens.
A thermal scope with a 320x240 12 micron sensor and a 75mm lens would have an optical magnification of x10 - but I'm not aware of anything like that available commercially (although I don't think it will be very long before such a scope is avaailble)
At longer ranges , low humidity, higher ambient temperature and no high grass or crops to reflect the IR, the Drone Pro will make a positive ID of a potential target much easier than thermal.
I moved from the Dronepro to a 75-6 thermal scope because the narrow field of view of the Drone Pro made it difficult to pick up foxes that had been spotted with a wider field of view thermal spotter, and I've now got used to how different potential targets appear in the thermal scope.
As you'll know from using a thermal spotter, how an animal moves is the biggest clue to species identification. In the UK a static rabbit, hare, badger, fox, roe deer, cat, or dog can all appear pretty much identical with a thermal depending on their range, orientation and the nature of the ground they are on.
You'll know better than me about your local conditions, but in the UK, thermals tend to work better in winter time when the temperature difference between animals and their surroundings is greatest. In summer time when there are lots of hot stones, tree stumps etc, it can be difficult to tell if a hot spot is some animate or inanimate
Hope that helps

Cheers

Bruce

ezzy

Post by ezzy » 24 Aug 2018, 12:51

Thanks Bruce,
It certainly does help, I'll stick with the Drone until everything changes. Most of my time is summer stubbles and open lanes, travelling 60-80 miles on a good night. I'll drive 10-25 mph with a white light for eyes and go thermal for position and IR for the shot, 300 to 1000 acres paddocks help too. Like what's happened with the auto industry, technology will develop faster than we can imagine and the next few years won't be like the last.
Mark

AnthonyR

Post by AnthonyR » 24 Aug 2018, 18:28

I have a Drone Pro and a Trail XQ50 and I agree with everything Bruce has said, it is definitely not a suitable alternative to a Drone, even at 150 yards a fox becomes quite a small target so you have to use the digi mag to make the image bigger to shoot it properly and then the image is shite.

However I didn't buy mine to replace my Drone and it does sterling service on my 17 Hornet for rabbits and hares and on my .25 FAC for rats and rabbits both of which it is absolutely excellent at, the scope has excellent ergonomics and outstanding battery life. For my intended purpose I love it.

I have tried Clive's 75-3 and I didn't rate that as a Drone replacement either.