reflected IR

A discussion group for all nightvision users. Find 'Best scope for nv?' here also.
Ranger22

Re: reflected IR

Post by Ranger22 » 16 Oct 2018, 12:19

Take the tape off for daylight shooting and put new stuff on for night time rumbles.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 16 Oct 2018, 20:16

some bloke wrote:
06 Oct 2018, 12:54
Do whatever it takes to prevent the light from the torch illuminating the barrel and the sound mod. That can be using a long shroud on the torch or the scope. Kitchen roll tubes painted matt black can work wonders if you can live with that sort of thing. :angel:

Setting it up with a white or red visible light torch makes things easier. The tube can be outside or inside the lens carrier and should prevent the entire torch lens from being visible from the end of the barrel at least, yup, take a look at it from that end. ;)

Before anyone asks... I don't have any torch shrouds left.
You sure your not doing anymore torch shrouds cos I could do with another T50 one unless somebody has on for sale please ?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 16 Oct 2018, 21:10

Not even got one left for my own use - so I'm back to using sprayed black postal tubes. :lol:
Last edited by some bloke on 18 Oct 2018, 19:10, edited 1 time in total.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 16 Oct 2018, 21:22

some bloke wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 21:10
Not even got one left for my own use - so I'm back to using sprayed black postal tubes. :lol:
Okay thanks I will put out a wanted then.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 17 Oct 2018, 18:08

i have issues too but thats another story... :lolno: :lolno:

isnt any one 3d printing for this? e.g. the tape over thing could be a re usable small tube with a 1/4 lip? shit comes to a shove a small slit and angle very slightly at the backend to grip it on there..just a though.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

oowee2

Post by oowee2 » 18 Oct 2018, 17:35

I have a new torch from IR light builds and it's very impressive with my ward 800 but I am getting a bit of crescent shaped IR feed back off the barrel when it's zoomed in with the scope on 12 xmag. The torch is mounted over a sidewinder with shroud and sits back about 3inches from the end of the scope so I am surprised to get the glare, but putting my hand on the barrel behind the mod and it goes. Is there an anti glare tape I can fit on the barrel?

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 19 Oct 2018, 11:18

oowee2 wrote:
18 Oct 2018, 17:35
I have a new torch from IR light builds and it's very impressive with my ward 800 but I am getting a bit of crescent shaped IR feed back off the barrel when it's zoomed in with the scope on 12 xmag. The torch is mounted over a sidewinder with shroud and sits back about 3inches from the end of the scope so I am surprised to get the glare, but putting my hand on the barrel behind the mod and it goes. Is there an anti glare tape I can fit on the barrel?
You may have to resort to sunshades for your scope.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 19 Oct 2018, 13:08

Aha - now been able to load a photobucket image after making it less than 600 pixels wide:

Cardboard postal tube sprayed black, note the top of the torch lens cannot see the barrel and its much easier to make the cut at a decisive angle than attempt to make a perfectly straight cut.

Last edited by some bloke on 19 Oct 2018, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

oowee2

Post by oowee2 » 19 Oct 2018, 13:19

That looks a neat solution. The scope has a sunshade as standard. Don't want to fit anything that is not travel proof. Was thinking some non reflective tape on top of the barrel or maybe ceracote the whole thing.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 19 Oct 2018, 13:51

Sure - with less light reflected there would be an improvement but still be SOME reflection. That and some tape on the scope bezel would be the two main recommended facebook type fixes. :D

A shade on the torch or scope avoids any light source that could reflect into the scope period so it has to be better - and better solutions is what this forum does. 8-)

You could make the tube a friction fit so its removable for transit or daytime use.

You might like to fit maybe an inch of self adhesive foam draught proofing strip to the very top of your sunshade.