DRS Thermal Testing Results & Video

built your own thermal unit?.....or done some d.i.y modding on/with your existing unit. post them up here
AnthonyR

DRS Thermal Testing Results & Video

Post by AnthonyR » 17 Mar 2015, 17:46

Finally managed to the get the PTZ thermal camera that I bought on eBay up and running and thought some of you might be interested in the results.

Short badly edited vid here (warning it's not that interesting, no shooting at all):

http://youtu.be/dDb2j6w-DWc

The electrical substation you first see is 1400 yards away and the cars on the road top right are nearly 3000, the moorhens behind the trees are about 120 and I walk with the dog to about a 100 and later at night to about 200. The hares in the last section vid are more than 300 yards away. The difference between what the thermal can see on this slightly foggy day and the visible camera is massive even though the regular cam is actually very good as well.

The thermal has a one shot zoom function which works well but the whole system is not easy to use, the joystick is really sensitive and it is really difficult to track smoothly without it tearing around like a spinning top, currently I can find no way of slowing it down either.

Both cameras are currently only outputting NTSC which is not compatible with my regular DVR and I can find no way of accessing the on screen camera menus to alter any of the settings at all, it looks to me that the thermal should have a digital zoom as well but again I can't get it to work.

Another issue can be seen on the last part of the vid where the thermal image gets a halo around it, seems to go away with the zoom.

It has been a major PITA to get this far and the system is not even mounted on the truck yet but the thermal itself is very impressive and makes me want to persevere to get it right.

luxrc

Re: DRS Thermal Testing Results & Video

Post by luxrc » 17 Mar 2015, 18:20

Well I'm impressed :clap:
"Who said nights were for sleep?" Marilyn Monroe

nealh

Post by nealh » 17 Mar 2015, 20:52

Hang in there, you'll get it. Nice :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
I love this country; it's the damn government I'm afraid of!

thesmi

Post by thesmi » 17 Mar 2015, 22:07

My pulsar always gets a halo when it goes from warm to cold doest like quick temp change but goes after calibration.

Does look the nuts you should start your own search and rescue

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 Mar 2015, 22:14

Anthony,
Keep at it - you got a helluva deal, so make the best of it!
These convertors should solve you NTSC problem http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAL-NTSC-SECA ... 27e88001d1
I've used them and they do work

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

AnthonyR

Post by AnthonyR » 17 Mar 2015, 22:35

Thanks guys, I have to admit I very nearly gave up and sent it back, I have only scratched the surface of the problems I have had here and it has been a steep learning curve for me.

Bruce I saw those converters on eBay and was wondering if they worked, so good to know they do, thanks.

Really need to find a way to slow the slew rate down, will make the whole system much easier to use.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 17 Mar 2015, 22:57

It seems that the slew motor is running at 12 volts directly from your battery.
if you use a small motor speed controller like this between the battery and the motor, you can have any speed you want.
I would have the speed controller connected to the battery and the output of the controller connected to the joystick switches and from there to the pan and tilt motors

Cheers

Bruce

AnthonyR

Post by AnthonyR » 18 Mar 2015, 07:13

Bruce, it is not setup like a conventional PTZ, it is all controlled and powered together, one 12v supply for both cameras and the PTZ.

I have it running on RS-485 control, which should offer a way of altering all the parameters of the PTZ and the cameras as well but I just can't work out how to do it, it is using some unique protocol that I just can't fathom out, I have all the relevant manuals on PDF but still no joy.

There is also a way of controlling it via PC software using a RS-232 serial port connection but I don't have a copy of the software.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 18 Mar 2015, 07:34

Thats damn good. :thumbup:

Didja get the idea of that arm waving from one of my old Digital Ranger videos? :lol:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 18 Mar 2015, 08:14

Anthony,
I presume there must be an RS485 receiver in the PTZ unit to turn your commands into pan and tilt drive voltages.
The cheap and nasty way to slow down the motors would be a low value resistor with a suitable power rating connected between the output of the RS485 receiver and the motor.
Are there any pots on the receiver which could be used to limit the voltage going to the motors?

Cheers

Bruce