DRS Thermal Testing Results & Video

built your own thermal unit?.....or done some d.i.y modding on/with your existing unit. post them up here
AnthonyR

Re: DRS Thermal Testing Results & Video

Post by AnthonyR » 18 Mar 2015, 09:43

Here is where I have to admit that I have not opened up the unit at all, there is lots of dire warnings in the manual about doing so, all the cameras are nitrogen purged as well, there is a shraeder type valve on the back which I presume is the nitrogen filling point.

Like you say Bruce it must have an RS485 receiver in the unit which is converting the signal for the PTZ motors but I am not brave enough as yet to access it, I am going to have a further fiddle with the Baud rate, as the unit auto senses this and see if this can be used to slow it down.

I am also wondering if the PTZ controller I have, which just a relatively simple joystick and small keyboard is just too basic to control the advanced functions but I am reluctant to splash further cash on an expensive one just to find it works exactly the same.

AnthonyR

Post by AnthonyR » 02 Apr 2015, 21:39

Thought I would post up some pics and a bit of footage of some foxing we did last week.

The camera setup on my shooting truck:

The pole is extendable so the camera can see over us when we are standing in the back, better than having it mounted on the front, a fact I learnt the hard way when I shot one of my Bosch illuminators by mistake a few years ago!!

Screen, joystick and DVR:

Check out the fuel levels in the two diesel tanks!!

And some foxing footage:

https://youtu.be/vlsLptTq-rY

We did catch up with the one that was missed but didn't manage to record it, the last clip of the fox emerging from cover does give a good indication of the units capability. The non thermal footage is a very quick clip of one of my buds getting a fox with the latest version of the Drone Pro.
Last edited by AnthonyR on 15 Jul 2016, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 03 Apr 2015, 07:03

AnthonyR wrote:Here is where I have to admit that I have not opened up the unit at all, there is lots of dire warnings in the manual about doing so, all the cameras are nitrogen purged as well, there is a shraeder type valve on the back which I presume is the nitrogen filling point.

Like you say Bruce it must have an RS485 receiver in the unit which is converting the signal for the PTZ motors but I am not brave enough as yet to access it, I am going to have a further fiddle with the Baud rate, as the unit auto senses this and see if this can be used to slow it down.

I am also wondering if the PTZ controller I have, which just a relatively simple joystick and small keyboard is just too basic to control the advanced functions but I am reluctant to splash further cash on an expensive one just to find it works exactly the same.

Don't know if it would be of any use but don't forget a lot of tyre bays have nitrogen with shraeder connections nowadays :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 03 Apr 2015, 10:06

That's certainly impressive Anthony, guess that guide will be made redundant. Did you notice if the fox had been hit when you caught up with it?

I tried pausing the video but couldn't work out whether the round had passed through its right ear giving the heat signature or whether it was just from the bullet impact on the ground behind.
I don't record the shots myself as I'm normally on my own but on occasion have and missed the shot but can later see where the bullet went. It does give a good explanation to the miss enabling you to understand exactly where the shot went.
Cracking video :thumbup:

AnthonyR

Post by AnthonyR » 04 Apr 2015, 12:36

Fox Hunter wrote:That's certainly impressive Anthony, guess that guide will be made redundant. Did you notice if the fox had been hit when you caught up with it?

I tried pausing the video but couldn't work out whether the round had passed through its right ear giving the heat signature or whether it was just from the bullet impact on the ground behind.
I don't record the shots myself as I'm normally on my own but on occasion have and missed the shot but can later see where the bullet went. It does give a good explanation to the miss enabling you to understand exactly where the shot went.
Cracking video :thumbup:

The Guide will not be redundant just yet, as we don't do all our foxing from the truck and two spotters is better than one as well.

I don't think it was hit at all but couldn't tell you for sure as the fox fell backwards into a big dyke after it was shot and none of us fancied going for a swim to fish it out!!