Meet the Thermals !

built your own thermal unit?.....or done some d.i.y modding on/with your existing unit. post them up here
phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Meet the Thermals !

Post by phoenix » 09 Jul 2015, 12:24

A long time ago I started a topic titled "Meet the Spotters" where I showed pics of 3 different spotters I had built
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2506
But technology moves on so it's time for a "Meet the Thermals" topic
I've built three thermals, all based on the same 640x480 17 um core from Sun Creative in China, but used different focal length lenses - 50mm, 75mm and 100mm.
The 50mm is the first one I built and discussed here viewtopic.php?f=43&t=9609
The 75mm and 100mm units are set up to be interchangeable so can be used either as a spotter or in a riflescope
All the cores have a reticle which can switched on or off and, when switched on, can be moved around in 1 pixel increments so that the scope can be zeroed.
The cores are electrically connected to the rest of the kit via a single quick release connector so interchanging the 75 and 100mm core/lens assemblies only takes a couple of minutes (but re-zeroing would be needed)
In the pics below the 75mm is set up as a spotter and the 100mm is fitted to the riflescope

The body of the riflescope is a piece of 75x75x3mm thick aluminium box section.
A machined insert inside the objective end of the box section allows the thermal core/lens assembly to screwed into or removed from the box section.
Inside the box section is an elwirecraft 5000mah 12v battery.
Screwed onto the other end of the box section is a 3mm thick aluminium plate which holds the OLED display, the on/off switch, charge and video out connector and the joystick switches to access the thermal menu and the OLED brightness and contrast.
On the underside of the box section is an ARMS quick release weaver rail mount

The next pics show the spotter with the 75mm core/lens fitted

Nothing too complicated here - just an alloy box with the core/lens screwed onto the lid, and the body of the box housing a 2800mah elewirecraft battery , separate charging and video sockets and the OLED display. The on/off switch is mounted on one side of the box and the joystick switches for the thermal menu and OLED brightness contrast on the other side of the box

The weaver rail on top makes it easy to mount my DVR, but also to mount an IR illuminator so that if a target is detected with the spotter, the shooter, using some sort of NV device, could then locate the target easily and take the shot without requiring an illuminator fitted to his rifle

Optical magnification on the 100mm unit is approx x5 plus digital zoom of x2 and x4
Since the core is roughly double the resolution of the cores in the Pulsar thermal, it means that at x2 digital zoom I have approximately the same number of pixels working as the Pulsars but with a magnification of x10

Performance is outstanding - with no digital zoom on the riflescope, bunnies are clearly visible at 500 yards and would be shootable at that distance with a suitable rifle

The downside of the riflescope are that it's plug ugly, heavy, and does not have all the bells and whistles of the GSCI thermal scope that Clive is using.
However, it has more optical magnification than the 75mm GSCI unit and costs about 1/3 of the price of the 100mm GSCI unit.

So far I've only been using it for bunny bashing on my Weihrauch 17HMR - which it does superbly, I've yet to make my mind up 100% about using it for foxes on the 243.
At the moment, I still feel that spotting foxes with thermal and shooting with the Drone is the safest method, but a bit more practice and experience with the thermal riflescope might cause me to change my mind.

Cheers

Bruce

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

AnthonyR

Re: Meet the Thermals !

Post by AnthonyR » 09 Jul 2015, 13:07

Wow!!

Bruce your work is outstanding, I just wish I could do something similar.

How about some video???

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 09 Jul 2015, 13:39

Anthony,
Thanks for the kind words
I have a CVR640 DVR, but the video quality on playback is rubbish compared to the image seen in the OLED.
If I can find a decent DVR then i will post some video.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 09 Jul 2015, 14:17

Oops he did it again. :angel:

Bloody good work as usual Bruce - I cant even think of any questions 'cos you have answered them all in your post. :thumbup:

Jirka

Post by Jirka » 09 Jul 2015, 14:35

Amazing work. I am still resisting getting into thermals, but threads like these make it increasingly difficult :-D

lightmesser

Post by lightmesser » 10 Jul 2015, 11:52

Man needs to have nerves of steel and very high self confidence to made diy version of thermal from components that costs around 7000 euro?

My hand would shaking and I would be worried sick to not ruin those expensive components.

I just cant believe what you made Image

Gloop

Post by Gloop » 10 Jul 2015, 15:25

Some people you can really dislike very easily....... Lol

Not in the least jealous, cough.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 10 Jul 2015, 16:30

Gloop wrote:Some people you can really dislike very easily....... Lol

Not in the least jealous, cough.

Yeah, I was thinking that, I think we should ban him immediately ................. purely out of jealousy of course :twisted:

:lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

philcbr

Post by philcbr » 11 Jul 2015, 06:58

Bruce, you are such a talented individual, outstanding work as usual. :thumbup: :clap:

Henley

Post by Henley » 12 Jul 2015, 16:01

Can't belive you've done it (amazing really)
Eagles don't hunt flys