DIY Thermal - it can be done!

built your own thermal unit?.....or done some d.i.y modding on/with your existing unit. post them up here
rodp
A bad influence

Re: DIY Thermal - it can be done!

Post by rodp » 19 Nov 2014, 19:38

Radagast wrote:Stunning. I really can't express how impressed I am without sounding like a squealing teenybopper.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I know what you mean though, it's very, very good :thumbup: AND a major breakthrough :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Hilbily

Post by Hilbily » 19 Nov 2014, 20:44

Amazing job Bruce :thumbup:

gypo

Post by gypo » 19 Nov 2014, 22:10

Well done Bruce, looks the dogs do-dars :thumbup:
G

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 19 Nov 2014, 22:26

I went out with both thermals tonight (no guns tho) to try to do some side by side video.
Dafty me forgot to put the memory card back in the DVR !
I'm really sorry about that because I was blown away by the contrast and sharpness of the image compared to the Guide and I would have loved to share that with other forum members.
However, I might get a chance to try again tomorrow night.
I mentioned that I was powering the new thermal from 2/3 of an Elwirecraft 1800mah battery
The reason for that is that there was only room for 2 cells in the small alloy box.
However it's not a problem because the thermal core runs on 2.5-5.5 volts and the OLED runs on 5-15 volts.
The solution was a simple 5 volt 3 terminal regulator.
Even although the regulator wastes a bit of power (appox 0.9 watts) I preferred it against a switching regulator because I didn't want any interference on the screen
The power drain is 2.3 watts which means the battery should be good for at least 4 hours
As far as I know, the only thermal commercially available in the UK with a comparable spec is this one
http://www.ketech.com/uploads/kescope.pdf
I can't get a price from them, they want to send a salesman round!
If anyone can get them to divulge how much they want for the 633 model, I'd be really interested
I note they advertise it as 25Hz.
Mine is supposed to be 50Hz and it certainly looks like that when you scan it around
Apologies for the rather rambling post.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

sikapup

Post by sikapup » 19 Nov 2014, 23:43

that is bloody brilliant :clap: :clap: :clap:

atb paul

Gloop

Post by Gloop » 19 Nov 2014, 23:56

Ya know, I think we have finally found someone who could put a roundtrees fruit pastel in their mouth without chewing..

punky

Post by punky » 20 Nov 2014, 00:10

Wow Bruce brilliant build the first diy thermal :clap: :clap: and as usaull you have explained and shared your knowledge so others can purchase the stuff hat off to you, it's a better image than the shop built unit!! Proper job that Bruce
Cheers
John
Two and half million made and three quarters of these still on the road,can you say the same about your 4x4
LANDROVER A BRAND LOVED WORLDWIDE
One life live it!!!!!!

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Post by Silent Shooter » 20 Nov 2014, 01:50

Im lost for words Bruce you have really started the ball rolling now, thank you so much for once again sharing yet another of your amazing achievements with us wowwwwww :clap:

Geoff

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 20 Nov 2014, 06:48

Bruce, that ketech thermal will be well over 10 grand, i would guess.......possibly even nearer double, a effing lot of money either way
when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

spiralviral

Post by spiralviral » 20 Nov 2014, 13:50

Aye, Bruce, ye're some boy! fantastic, again! Must take a peek and compare with the 307, but I'm sure the higher refresh rate of yours will be a definite advantage.

Brilliant again, Bruce, now how about a decent guidance system for them wayward comet landing craft?? :clap:

Cheers,
S