DIY Thermal - it can be done!

built your own thermal unit?.....or done some d.i.y modding on/with your existing unit. post them up here
Omni

Re: DIY Thermal - it can be done!

Post by Omni » 20 Nov 2014, 20:13

Very very well done :-)

datsthat

Post by datsthat » 20 Nov 2014, 21:59

phoenix wrote:This is how the prices broke down
Camera £2700
Lens £495
I think it's fair to say that the camera is still a "bit special"
They do a camera with 388x284 pixels which costs £1350 and apart from the number of pixels is exactly the same as the one I bought
A camera at £1350 and a lens at £495 gets you the same performance as a Guide costing over £4k and a pulsar HD50S costing over £3k
Obviously you still need to do some serious fettling, but with an Oriscape type 640x480 near eye display costing around £100 you could put a working device together for just about £2k
They do a range of lenses from 13 -100mm but there's a big jump in price between a 50mm and a 75mm with the 75mm costing £1050
The sensors will come down in price, because they are made from silicon and the whole semiconductor industry is based on making very small circuits from silicon.
FLIR use a Vanadium oxide sensor which is more difficult to with smaller pixels

Fantastic Job! Can you please let me know where you got the Oriscape type 640x480 near eye display? Thanks

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 20 Nov 2014, 22:08

datsthat wrote:
phoenix wrote:This is how the prices broke down
Camera £2700
Lens £495
I think it's fair to say that the camera is still a "bit special"
They do a camera with 388x284 pixels which costs £1350 and apart from the number of pixels is exactly the same as the one I bought
A camera at £1350 and a lens at £495 gets you the same performance as a Guide costing over £4k and a pulsar HD50S costing over £3k
Obviously you still need to do some serious fettling, but with an Oriscape type 640x480 near eye display costing around £100 you could put a working device together for just about £2k
They do a range of lenses from 13 -100mm but there's a big jump in price between a 50mm and a 75mm with the 75mm costing £1050
The sensors will come down in price, because they are made from silicon and the whole semiconductor industry is based on making very small circuits from silicon.
FLIR use a Vanadium oxide sensor which is more difficult to with smaller pixels

Fantastic Job! Can you please let me know where you got the Oriscape type 640x480 near eye display? Thanks

You can get an Oriscape 640x480 display here;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-Inch-Colo ... 43d232e51f

However, if you go back to the first post, you'll see that I didn't use an Oriscape display in the thermal build, I used an OLED display from an earlier project.
The OLED display is considerably more expensive than the Oriscape display, but, in my opinion, it does produce a significantly better quality image.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

datsthat

Post by datsthat » 20 Nov 2014, 22:32

thank you Bruce

irishjimmy12

Post by irishjimmy12 » 06 Dec 2014, 17:03

hope you don't mind me asking phoenix where did you get the 0.5 oled display from trying to hunt one down for a build but no luck

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 06 Dec 2014, 17:17

I bought the OLED directly from the manufacturer Olightek in China
http://www.olightek.com/products_detail ... Id=32.html
It's the SVGA050 OLED
You'll also need this driver board http://www.olightek.com/products_detail ... Id=36.html
and an optical unit like this http://www.olightek.com/products_detail ... Id=41.html
The OLED comes already mounted on the driver board and installed into the optical unit.
The driver board comes with a cable to make connections to power video, display brightness and contrast so it's very easy to connect.
Drop them an e mail for their prices.
I found them easy to deal with, but they won't reduce the declared value on their paperwork that goes with the goods so you'll get hit for VAT on the full value when they arrive

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 06 Dec 2014, 17:37

Bugger...I haven't been into the DIY board for a few weeks and look what I've missed. :o

Bloody brilliant Bruce........excellent work! :thumbup:

Nice one

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

artisansportsman

Post by artisansportsman » 06 Dec 2014, 18:03

excellent work , i will be watching this project closely to see if it will develop like digital night vision has night vision is affordable now and a big part of that is down to this forum this is were its at . :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

irishjimmy12

Post by irishjimmy12 » 06 Dec 2014, 18:37

thanks bruce il get intouch with them if no luck il go with raspberry pi

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 06 Dec 2014, 23:27

Bruce, I've only just caught up with this thread and to say that I'm impressed would most certainly be an understatement :clap:

You've certainly got a very methodical mind to work your way through the trials of putting that together. To end up with a 'DIY' unit whose performance surpasses most of the affordable commercial units is a massive thing indeed.

Just as aside and in regard to the cost of Germanium lenses, the fact that they have to be machined rather than cast has a huge bearing on the final price, but the main thing has to be that less than 120 tonnes of Germanium are mined each year, as opposed to gold, for instance, of which 2500 tonnes are mined per year.

George