New Dedicated Digital Rifle Scope Testing

http://www.nightvisionstore.co.uk/
cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

New Dedicated Digital Rifle Scope Testing

Post by cliveward » 03 Jun 2018, 13:58

Hi All,

We're pretty much there with this now and I've had some time to get it zeroed and have a play this week.

Here it is atop the little .22 Hornet on my zeroing session.

Mounting is no problem at all. The standard picatinny mount has masses of movement for eye relief and placement options for the clamps so no need for special rails or mounts. There is also the option for a MAK mount adapter for fitting to anything 'peculiar'. Another very handy feature is the fact that the whole base is 'steerable' should you have any problems with windage alignment. A quick adjustment had my boresight spot on with the reticule centred. :thumbup:

The mount and indeed whole scope are constructed very robustly with everything flanged, bolted and dowel pinned so zero retention is not going to be an issue.

Adjustments are 1cm at 100m. The scope has 5 independent profiles accessed by an electro-mechanical switch, not a menu. So it can either be used on several different rifles, or indeed on one rifle with 5 drops at various distances. Or you might want to use two profiles on one rifle for day and night with different reticules, reticule brightness and display brightness preset. There are a lot of possibilities.

The 8x magnification is achieved with a long fast lens and a larger than usual sensor giving a very good field of view, the magnification is made up in the very large 1024x768 OLED display. So you get the benefit of wide field of view for scanning and tracking plus a large target image.

The display is absolutely amazing. The image day or night is extremely good!

In dusk transition the scope stays in 'colour' mode well beyond sunset. It also works well in 'near darkness' without any IR at all.

I managed to get a bit of footage. You'll have to excuse the interference caused by using a Christmas tree of adapters to connect to the Lawmate. I'll get a proper dedicated lead with mic made up for it. :thumbup:

Some rabbits at 40-100m:

A small fox at 300 Yards:

The scope handles IR very well. WIth it filling the field of view there is no white out at all and focussing a Sunnranger Ruby down a little, I was able to get full illumination (not just a bit of mild reflection) at 600 Yards!

The LRF is very handy and just a small unit that clips on the side and plugs in. The LRF is powered by the scopes internal batteries and a long push activates it, and a short push takes a range reading. The LRF patch is easily aligned in the menu. There is also a remote switch for the LRF.

Power is by 2 x CR123A batteries or re-chargeables. You can also use 5-12V external power if required. The internal batteries are rated at 6 hours though.

Cheers

Clive
Last edited by cliveward on 03 Jun 2018, 22:00, edited 1 time in total.

Barmyfarmer

Re: New Dedicated Digital Rifle Scope Testing

Post by Barmyfarmer » 03 Jun 2018, 16:05

When are they going to be available to order Clive?

Thanks

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 03 Jun 2018, 16:27

Barmyfarmer wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 16:05
When are they going to be available to order Clive?

Thanks
We'll be getting it listed on the website this week and opening the order books.

Manufacturing lead time is going to be around 4 weeks.

Cheers

Clive

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 03 Jun 2018, 19:49

I can`t see the pic of the unit Clive.

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 03 Jun 2018, 22:01

blueroll wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 19:49
I can`t see the pic of the unit Clive.
Hopefully mended now. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

weejohn

Post by weejohn » 03 Jun 2018, 22:12

Just the fact this has a rangefinder makes it a winner in my book .

smb64

Post by smb64 » 03 Jun 2018, 23:08

Thanks

We'll be getting it listed on the website this week and opening the order books.

Manufacturing lead time is going to be around 4 weeks.

Cheers

Clive

Do you think this unit would be a bit overkill for my .22lr & or .17hmr Clive

Tikka.243

Post by Tikka.243 » 04 Jun 2018, 08:49

whats the weight of the unit Clive... looks a nice compact scope and even with the interference the image of the trees at the back of the 300 yrd fox were very sharp. As mentioned the built in rangefinder is a winner + like the cant meter.
Last edited by Tikka.243 on 04 Jun 2018, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 04 Jun 2018, 11:21

smb64 wrote:
03 Jun 2018, 23:08
Do you think this unit would be a bit overkill for my .22lr & or .17hmr Clive
Difficult one to call. Possibly. :think:

But I'm going to use mine on my .17 HMR and would use it on the .22 LR if that didn't have a thermal scope on it already.

The LRF and quick access zero points make it very handy for trajectory corrections regardless of calibre really.

Can a scope be too good?

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 04 Jun 2018, 11:43

Tikka.243 wrote:
04 Jun 2018, 08:49
whats the weight of the unit Clive... looks a nice compact scope and even with the interference the image and of the trees at the back of the 300 yrd fox were very sharp. As mentioned the built in rangefinder is a winner + like the cant meter.
Weight is 1KG and dimensions are 295x90x96mm.

The image through the display is even sharper! The IR will even get right out to 600 yards without the camera even starting to have to work at it. It's just full illumination, the same as you would have at 50 yards on other digital scopes. :shh:

The LRF is very handy indeed. I'll use it with the .22 Hornet in conjunction with the reticule. There's no need to dial it in because as soon as the trajectory starts to get properly loopy it's run out of useful accuracy and power anyway, especially for foxes.

The holds are (on the small T reticule with centre dot I've settled on):

35m = Tip of the bottom vertical
60-150m = Centre dot
190m = Mid point between centre dot and tip of bottom vertical
220m = Tip of bottom vertical

The cant meter keeps it all in check and removes another variable. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive