Ooh, new shooting truck

Show off your shooting truck or ask general related questions here
rodp
A bad influence

Re: Ooh, new shooting truck

Postby rodp » 20 Feb 2017, 16:35

cliveward wrote:
Fox Hunter wrote::lol: :thumbup:

Went to look at a jimmy today, by eck they are small. Not sure my .204 with a 26 inch barrel would fit in the pick up one :o :lol:

...But what I found quite impressive was I could put the front seat all the way forward, wind down the front window and because the back seats are practically a knat's cock away from the front seats it seems you can sit in the back and shoot comfortably out of the front window on a window bag :wtf:
..Or so it seemed :think:

That sounds like pure luxury!

According to the specs, my shooty mobile is almost a whole foot narrower! :wtf: Luckily most of my rifles are very short. :lol:

Next plan is to fit a fold out shooting rest to the drivers door with some kind of rack for holding the rifle securely outside of the vehicle.

I quite fancy something with a clamp for the fore-end on a radius track which can then be stowed paralell to the truck and drop the butt into one of the v shape rubber gun racks for security.

Cheers

Clive

Isn't that what they have in the doorway of helicopters, as sort of semi circular track with a machine gun mounted? Should work, 5000 rounds
a minute should do the trick :lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 20 Feb 2017, 16:39

sunndog wrote:Tiny arent they

When i'm parked up shooting out of the sj i sit on the passengers lap, feet in the drivers footwell, and head out the drivers window . And sometimes we get out and go shooting :lol:

Oh well, it takes all sorts :thumbup: Who am I to judge others .

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This thread has gone seriously off track :crazy: But do I care :lolno:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 20 Feb 2017, 17:17

oi.....it gets cold up here, alright! :shifty:
oslon black drivers
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

22-250jock

Postby 22-250jock » 20 Feb 2017, 18:46

cliveward wrote:

I quite fancy something with a clamp for the fore-end on a radius track which can then be stowed paralell to the truck and drop the butt into one of the v shape rubber gun racks for security.

Clive,

have you seen the ''Racken Rest'', could be the sort of thing you're after.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rs10M4b1iY

Bushwear stock them :thumbup:

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 20 Feb 2017, 20:16

22-250jock wrote:
cliveward wrote:

Clive,

have you seen the ''Racken Rest'', could be the sort of thing you're after.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rs10M4b1iY

cheers jock

I hadn't seen that before. Looks brilliant and has given me some ideas. :thumbup:

I'll need something that puts the rifle quite far out of the vehicle so I might just nick their 2 point linkage design and drop that onto some box section receivers welded or bolted through the door skins to make it de-mountable. :thumbup:

I could even stick a receiver up top on the roll bar too.

There's a chap on UKV that makes a very sturdy forend clamping rest that's normally used on a tripod so that's what I had in mind for holding the rifle, rather then the cradle type.

Awesome info. Thanks again. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 20 Feb 2017, 20:46

Couldn't you just make the link longer then it would still mount with gas rams ? Seems a shame to drill perfectly good doors. And funny enough, I know someone who makes straps with those qr buckles on :think:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 20 Feb 2017, 21:18

rodp wrote:Couldn't you just make the link longer then it would still mount with gas rams ? Seems a shame to drill perfectly good doors. And funny enough, I know someone who makes straps with those qr buckles on :think:

We're not made of such stern stuff down here, so I quite fancy being able to close the windows (now that I've got a truck that has some). :D

I'll think on this. There might be some contraption I can contrive that will mount off the roll cage and still be able to stow neatly either behind the cab or alongside the door. :think:

Cheers

Clive

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 20 Feb 2017, 21:34

Have you built the cage yet?

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Fox Hunter

Postby Fox Hunter » 21 Feb 2017, 11:12

22-250jock wrote:
cliveward wrote:

Clive,

cheers jock

Have you or do you know anyone that's used this Jock?

Looks really useful but wondered about that strap over barrel interfering with barrel harmonics on a free floated barrel?? Not sure whether to give one a go or stick to the window bag..

22-250jock

Postby 22-250jock » 21 Feb 2017, 21:24

Fox Hunter wrote:
Have you or do you know anyone that's used this Jock?

Looks really useful but wondered about that strap over barrel interfering with barrel harmonics on a free floated barrel?? Not sure whether to give one a go or stick to the window bag..

sorry mate, I haven't used one.....

a keeper mate of mine was going to get one a little while back, but he ended up getting a window Bag rest instead.

think that front strap would be the only thing that would put me off, if shooting at longer ranges that is :think:

cheers jock
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

Return to “4x4's and shooting vehicles”