Ooh, new shooting truck

Show off your shooting truck or ask general related questions here
hairyyoda

Re: Ooh, new shooting truck

Post by hairyyoda » 05 Mar 2018, 12:59

Rod & Adam, there was a time when you could go to a Ex-MOD or a Russell-Baldwin-Bright or even a Brightwell's plant sale and buy a one off "special vehicle" that had been purpose built with multiple handling "toys" still bolted to the vehicle as cheap as chips or not much above scrap prices. Now with all the re-enactment groups and vintage enthusiasts that are willing to spend serious money on their pastimes, what was just a bit of fun off roading around a old coal tip or bit of bog hopping is now to restrictive on all counts ?
Cost of fuel, all the Laws of the Queens Highways, Mr & Mrs Don't Scare the Magpie down the lane, and the Hug a Tree patrols, off roading is now politically "TABOO" ??? :wtf: :lolno:

As Jack Hargreaves would have put it "the old days have gone"

Thanks
Phil
ImageImage

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 05 Mar 2018, 15:15

hairyyoda wrote:Rod & Adam, there was a time when you could go to a Ex-MOD or a Russell-Baldwin-Bright or even a Brightwell's plant sale and buy a one off "special vehicle" that had been purpose built with multiple handling "toys" still bolted to the vehicle as cheap as chips or not much above scrap prices. Now with all the re-enactment groups and vintage enthusiasts that are willing to spend serious money on their pastimes, what was just a bit of fun off roading around a old coal tip or bit of bog hopping is now to restrictive on all counts ?
Cost of fuel, all the Laws of the Queens Highways, Mr & Mrs Don't Scare the Magpie down the lane, and the Hug a Tree patrols, off roading is now politically "TABOO" ??? :wtf: :lolno:

Thanks
Phil

Too true Phil, the days of crossing malvern hills or Clee off road have long gone. Glad I didn't miss it :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

bobjs

Post by bobjs » 08 Mar 2018, 23:22

i picked up a nice 63k 1.9ddis vitara last month and love it,
known by many. liked by some. hated by a few.what would you do,who cares lets get out shooting
WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it.

http://lupusuk.org.uk/donate-now

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 09 Mar 2018, 13:17

rodp wrote:
hairyyoda wrote:Rod & Adam, there was a time when you could go to a Ex-MOD or a Russell-Baldwin-Bright or even a Brightwell's plant sale and buy a one off "special vehicle" that had been purpose built with multiple handling "toys" still bolted to the vehicle as cheap as chips or not much above scrap prices. Now with all the re-enactment groups and vintage enthusiasts that are willing to spend serious money on their pastimes, what was just a bit of fun off roading around a old coal tip or bit of bog hopping is now to restrictive on all counts ?

Thanks
Phil

Too true Phil, the days of crossing malvern hills or Clee off road have long gone. Glad I didn't miss it :thumbup:

Yep, them days are well and truely gone unfortunately. Even in my day there was far more freedom than there is now
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Post by Silent Shooter » 09 Mar 2018, 15:11

Me and my boy use to love a bit of off roading but as has been said it's more or less impossible to find anywhere to go without getting hassle of some sort, we've had several 4x4s over the years but I must say my old SJ with all the conversations was my favourite.

Geoff

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 09 Mar 2018, 16:43

Silent Shooter wrote:Me and my boy use to love a bit of off roading but as has been said it's more or less impossible to find anywhere to go without getting hassle of some sort, we've had several 4x4s over the years but I must say my old SJ with all the conversations was my favourite.

Geoff

Really nimble, and could show a 90 a clean pair of heels in some sections. Didn't like diagonal drop offs though, always pitched over the top. Nothing to touch one with power on uphill sections through the trees or canes though. Mine put out about 135bhp, 3 times the original power, still through original transfer box and axles without a qualm (one diff and one CV popped, and that was driver abuse). No way on earth a LR or Toyota product would take that abuse.
Don't know if the Jimny is the same, I know the Vitara's are crap compared to the SJ.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 09 Mar 2018, 20:20

:wave: Rod, back in 1970 to 74 i'sh I got addicted to searching out old Mk 1 L/S's which had become very cheap back then because the newer Series 2's were more in demand ect.
Bought a Mk1 with very good panels and chassis but no engine also had a straight 6 Rover Saloon that had arrived with me as a freebee, long story short, stripped Mk 1 down to chassis, bulkhead, running gear, gearbox and transplanted the straight 6 Rover into the Mk1 with it's radiator bracketed up front onto the chassis.
Two seats out of a smashed Mini strapped down, a bench seat base out of the back of a old Westminster tied on the rear chassis as a extra seat a bolt on battery tray and I was good to go for field trails :wtf:
Me and a mate headed off for the Brickworks pond in a place called Dunvant like something out of Scrap Heap Challenge, really shocked and stunned on how good this unfinished project could clime over rough ground and medium sized obstacles. Field trails were brought to a :o halt on the third outing after about 2 hours on a Saturday morning when Mr Plod turned up in response to a complaint by someone living in sight of newly made field trail area around the pond. Mr Plod was very good really he said that he had no powers as it was private land but said that as the Council owned the access road there could be other issues if there were more complaints ?
A Mk 1 on dumper tyres with the extra cc's of a 3 litre engine carrying very little weight was a very willing off roader, it could create a new route with ease by demolishing gorse bushes and bracken without much effort.
You could do things back then with less issues, now if you did the same chances are that a Armed Response crew might turn up ? :wtf:

Thanks
Phil

P.S. Google "Forest Rover" Rod when the Forestry Commission were having problems with L/R's grounding because of deep ruts and soft ground they asked the Roadless Tractor Company to help develop high clearance Mk 2's in the early 60's. Roadless had done lots of tractor conversions to 4 wheel drive before 4 wheel drive was readily available on most of the smaller tractors, so one of the first add-ons that the Roadless Company did was a upgrade to 28 inch wheels with Agri tyres, turning circle was doubled because of the limited lock, OD must have been 44 - 48 inches ??? :thumbup:
ImageImage

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 09 Mar 2018, 22:39

Adam I have emailed you a photograph, can you please add it under the P.S. in my post above.
Thanks for your help
Phil
ImageImage

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 09 Mar 2018, 23:14

No email phil but i bet you rod has seen a roadless rover before.
A few of them were sent to the falklands too, not for the war though
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 09 Mar 2018, 23:43

Sat in a roadless Phil, but never driven one, same with the tracked version. They are quite high when sat in them, quite a view unless it's directly in front.

"Argo, a great 8x8"