Ooh, new shooting truck

Show off your shooting truck or ask general related questions here
hairyyoda

Re: Ooh, new shooting truck

Post by hairyyoda » 06 Apr 2018, 21:02

:wave: Just crying out for a repaint and "it's off to a vintage show we go" :thumbup:
:think: A very desirable lump of iron :)

Thanks
Phil

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 06 Apr 2018, 21:45

It's different I'll give you that. What's it's intended purpose when built? For pulling stumps/roots out maybe? Doesn't look like it lifts a lot with that gauge rope, couple or three tons maybe?
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 07 Apr 2018, 06:22

Could be a skidder or a cable puller rod. I like how the winch line runs right down the back of the drivers neck!
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 07 Apr 2018, 19:34

Rod, Adam.
It is in the original Balfour Beatty colour, they were big in Hydro Electric schemes in Scotland and a load of other heavy construction contracts throughout the whole of the UK and Ireland. Founding partner George Balfour was the main shaker and mover in establishing the National Grid "an equal wheeled stable winching platform capable of working over rough ground etc." it's a cheaper and smaller alternative to a big Ford County 4 X 4. Looks in good condition :thumbup:
It pre-dates Health & Safety rules about any requirements for any guards to be fitted in case of winching cable failure/cable recoil :problem: :lolno: Did you notice that the two front tyres are not fitted in the usual rotation pattern :?: Roadless done a 4 X 4 version of the Major/Super Major, think this one is only a two wheel drive model.

Thanks
Phil

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 07 Apr 2018, 21:11

I was close with cable puller then :D

Directional tires on backwards is my pet hate........i always notice!
You should see the size of the arrows i draw on the wheels and tires we send to those 12 year old boys at ATS :lol:
oslon black drivers

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 07 Apr 2018, 22:48

If on a non driven wheel they clean better if fitted backwards, seem to remember that from nigh on 50 years ago when I was but a kid.
Used to drive a Fordson Major as well, the gearbox from hell.
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 08 Apr 2018, 06:14

chas wrote:If on a non driven wheel they clean better if fitted backwards, seem to remember that from nigh on 50 years ago when I was but a kid.

^^ This ^^. The loading on the tread blocks is opposite on non driven wheels so hence reversing the rotation of the tyres. Looks like there's roller fairlead on the front as well so perhaps a front winch or the ability to re-route the rope ?
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 08 Apr 2018, 09:52

It would still be a bad practice to reverse the rotation of directional tyres, how could a policeman tell which way the vehicle had gone if the "V imprint in the mud is facing the wrong direction" Even Tonto would be hard pressed to guess that and would need to ask the Lone Ranger "which bloody way did the tractor go Kemosabe" Another bad point would include more wear and tear on tyre carcass because the inverted V tread blocks are forcing the width of the tyre to "open up" as opposed to "compaction"
:wave: Reverse rotation would probably give someone "half the lifespan of correctly fitted Agri tyres"
And if you want clean tyres "don't go in the sticky mud" or "buy a pressure washer", problem solved :thumbup:

Thanks
Phil

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 08 Apr 2018, 11:59

chas wrote:If on a non driven wheel they clean better if fitted backwards, seem to remember that from nigh on 50 years ago when I was but a kid.
Well i never knew that, mind you the only thing i have anything to do with a non driven wheel is the front of my bikes
oslon black drivers

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 08 Apr 2018, 19:31

:wave: Chas, you need a set of these lugged wheels, lifespan of about 5 generations unless they get stolen because scrap prices are on the way up again :lolno: no worries about punctures or any wear and tear, paint them any colour you like, good for 400,000 plus miles on grass, never loose their value as they are getting harder to find every year, and best of all if you have any lady friends who have a wee bit of cellulite on their rear end :?: 8 hour of field work driving a tractor with a set of these lugged wheels bolted on will give any woman a rear end like that woman on the "Jerusalem advert" :thumbup:

Thanks
Phil