Opinions about best 4 X 4 Quad

Show off your shooting truck or ask general related questions here
hairyyoda

Opinions about best 4 X 4 Quad

Post by hairyyoda » 16 Feb 2018, 21:52

:wave: Opinions about best 4 X 4 Quad :thumbup:
Could have just sent a PM to Rod about the above, but thought that there might be other valued input on the forum with other members who have owned and used ??? make of Quads :think:
Thanks all
Phil
ImageImage

rodp
A bad influence

Re: Opinions about best 4 X 4 Quad

Post by rodp » 17 Feb 2018, 08:37

Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda, Honda,

As it happens Phil I have a TRX300 for sale here. I bought it as it's agri registered (a rare beast with the 300), it runs great but is unknown quantity to me. I bought because it was registered, no other reason, and have ridden it round the yard.That's the total sum of my knowledge on this one. Now for sale because I bought an agri registered frame to build up which will suit me better.
This one will be sold for the price I paid, no more, no less. Ebay messages with price paid can be shown.

I shall also (probably) be selling my own TRX300 but it's a 96 in virtually mint condition for the year, and very low hours, it will not be cheap but it is really a collectors piece now.
Also have a complete and running 350D which is tidy , those that know will realise this will also not be cheap now.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 17 Feb 2018, 10:10

Thanks Rod.
If you were to make a list of the best "pecking order " of Honda Quads which of their models would be in the first, second, third, fourth place etc.
ImageImage

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 17 Feb 2018, 10:27

Yep, honda all the way.

For my money i wouldn't worry about specific models overmuch and just buy on condition.....although i'd pay more for non electronic gear change
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 17 Feb 2018, 10:50

sunndog wrote:Yep, honda all the way.

For my money i wouldn't worry about specific models overmuch and just buy on condition.....although i'd pay more for non electronic gear change

You're right about the gear change Adam, manual if you can find one. I'm having a clear out of 300's and 350D's, going to look for a 500 Foreman (manual) that's registered. If agri I'll change it to plg just for a bit of greenlaning over the plain and easy use on the shoot. I'm 65 this year and getting too old now to keep building quads and Argo's so shall clear all the quads and parts out. It may take a while though, I seem to have amassed quite a lot of parts :wtf:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 17 Feb 2018, 10:57

hairyyoda wrote:Thanks Rod.
If you were to make a list of the best "pecking order " of Honda Quads which of their models would be in the first, second, third, fourth place etc.
350D was the worlds first production 4x4 quad, TRX300 was (is) the worlds best selling quad (for a reason, it's a superb machine but getting on a bit now). I would then go 500, then 420, although some say the 420 is better (leads you to think there's not much in it)

TRX350D going up in value, quickly. TRX300FW at least holding value and tidy ones going up, again quite quickly (mines a 1996 and will see around £2500). TRX420's quite common and relatively cheap, TRX500 Foreman holding good money for tidy ones, may start to rise in value.

As a work horse with no collectors interest a 420 or 500 (manual) would suit nicely.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 17 Feb 2018, 13:44

Rod's quote >>>
"I'm 65 this year and getting too old now to keep building quads and Argo's"
same here hence the picking of brains about best quads ?. :think: Clicking kneecaps, damaged bones in one foot, a back and neck that creaks in cold and wet weather, just wondering if I would qualify for a quad on some sort of mobility scheme :wtf: :lolno: :shh:
Thanks
Phil
ImageImage

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 17 Feb 2018, 14:28

hairyyoda wrote:Rod's quote >>>
"I'm 65 this year and getting too old now to keep building quads and Argo's"
same here hence the picking of brains about best quads ?. :think: Clicking kneecaps, damaged bones in one foot, a back and neck that creaks in cold and wet weather, just wondering if I would qualify for a quad on some sort of mobility scheme :wtf: :lolno: :shh:
Thanks
Phil
Ah, you mock ..... But. If you could get a plg quad registered as a disabled vehicle (probably have to be auto) then would you be able to use it to tootle around on at country parks and other open land? Me thinks you would :think: Be nice to have a gentle meander around some of the woods and open land, and it would wind such as the NT up no end :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm going 500 Foreman Phil (manual and solid rear end), it's about the best of the bunch at the moment. 4x2 or 4x4 at the flick of a switch so steering's light on trails (later one's have power steering, but it's expensive if it goes wrong). Nice big lazy engine so no need to thrash it. Lots of parts about and plenty of mods available in the states if you need more ability.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 17 Feb 2018, 15:49

rodp wrote:
hairyyoda wrote: (manual and solid rear end),
agreed for sure
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 25 Jun 2018, 15:26

I may have the bargain chance of a hardly used Polaris Quad, but don`t have any model details yet, apparenty a millionare landowners toy/estate inspection vehicle. Would welcome any views from current/previous owners only on their reliability please ?