My Terrano has let me down.

Show off your shooting truck or ask general related questions here
chas
Banned again

My Terrano has let me down.

Post by chas » 03 Mar 2018, 23:23

My trusty SWB Terrano has just failed it's MOT, gutted. (Chassis needs fettling ).
Would make a good one shoot run around but my shoots are quite far apart so it's no good for me.
On the look out for another vehicle and quite fancy a Grand Vitara as my better half might get on better with that, she keeps moaning about the tyres on the Terrano ( AT2's ) after driving through McDonalds hedge. :lol:
Poo happens.
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

rodp
A bad influence

Re: My Terrano has let me down.

Post by rodp » 04 Mar 2018, 07:43

chas wrote:My trusty SWB Terrano has just failed it's MOT, gutted. (Chassis needs fettling ).
Would make a good one shoot run around but my shoots are quite far apart so it's no good for me.
On the look out for another vehicle and quite fancy a Grand Vitara as my better half might get on better with that, she keeps moaning about the tyres on the Terrano ( AT2's ) after driving through McDonalds hedge. :lol:
Poo happens.

I must have missed that one if you posted it.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 04 Mar 2018, 09:19

I shoot a lot of foxes off the roof of my 2005 swb 1.6 GrandVit standing on the back bumper or even on a wheel and across the roof (including one at 315m).....easy for me as I’m a relative short-arse at 5’6”. It’s also my general runaround and I get a regular 330miles out of a tank of petrol.

This is my second Mk1 albeit with the better internal dash etc facelift, I wouldn’t buy a Mk2 as I wouldn’t be able to stand on the back but they are good motors......hang out for a good one.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 04 Mar 2018, 11:07

rodp wrote:
chas wrote:My trusty SWB Terrano has just failed it's MOT, gutted. (Chassis needs fettling ).
Poo happens.
I must have missed that one if you posted it.
Never put it on here Rod, just in case the bloke sitting inside McDonalds with a Big Mac wedged in his right ear knew who it was. :lol:
Those tyres on that truck were excellent off road, but on a wet road in 2 wheel drive they were terrible, it'd throw the arse out in no time and totally unpredictable.

fizzbangwhallop wrote:I shoot a lot of foxes off the roof of my 2005 swb 1.6 GrandVit standing on the back bumper or even on a wheel and across the roof (including one at 315m).....easy for me as I’m a relative short-arse at 5’6”. It’s also my general runaround and I get a regular 330miles out of a tank of petrol.

This is my second Mk1 albeit with the better internal dash etc facelift, I wouldn’t buy a Mk2 as I wouldn’t be able to stand on the back but they are good motors......hang out for a good one.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)
Been looking at them for some time Fizz, unfortunately this latest developement has brought things forward at a time when I least needed it.
Is the standing position the only reason you'd not recommend a mk2 or newer?

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 04 Mar 2018, 14:16

chas wrote:
Been looking at them for some time Fizz, unfortunately this latest developement has brought things forward at a time when I least needed it.
Is the standing position the only reason you'd not recommend a mk2 or newer?
Yep....I’ve not sat in a Mk2 though. Had Suzuki’s for a lot of years now....3 SJ410’s, a couple of standard vitaras and now on my second GrandVit in preference to Jimny’s ( bit more room inside)

Never got stuck in the SJ’s (fond memories) but I have to weigh it up in the sticky bits now.

Reliability and bits-wise theyve not cost me much in spares outside the usual tyres, brakes etc... the previous GrandVit was a bit of a nail....radiator, a caliper, crank position sensor but relatively cheap. Nowhere near my mates Discovery and Freelander maintenance and repairs-wise. :lol:

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 04 Mar 2018, 17:38

Bad luck wi the rust - I lost a Shogun Pinin the same way, I think it borders on criminal negligence that car producers are allowed to sell cars without underseal in a country that salts it roads. SWB manouvreability is a bonus that restricts your choice of replacements of course. My X-trail would be even better if a SWB was available.

My brother has a P reg Pajero that will go silly places and over stupid high humps with its brilliant ground clearance. I'd have one if I could afford to run it and if Some vertically challenged Woman would be able to climb into it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

It once got me out of trouble when police were waiting for me to turn round in a remote dirt car park to follow them out to where I think they intended to pull me for an unknown to me insurance technicality regarding driving other cars when we reached the public highway in deepest Cornwall... after demanding I leave the written permission venue I had been shooting at because of a noise complaint.

It transpired comprehensively insured private hire car drivers had quietly lost the cover for driving other private cars third party only without being advised of such because so many cabbies were exploiting it.

Unknown to those particular officers, there was a second closed gate in a low and collapsed hedge which we'd driven the PAJ over the previous night. I took that short route back to brothers place and learned the next day that police were shining torches into his proprety an hour or so later but couldn't see the car so gave up on it.

sauer

Post by sauer » 11 Mar 2018, 19:44

I had SWB ford maverick ... same motor as a terrano .... loved it ... MOT and fail ... while back end round by fuel tank rotten.... just not worth the cost of welding it

Amazing how rotten lot of motors seem to get these days so quickly

Paul

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 07 Apr 2018, 23:28

Update.
Yes it failed it's MOT because it supposedly needed the chassis welding up, the garage concerned supposedly (again) got someone in to do the job but apparently it was too far gone and would cost more than was economically viable.
So the old gal came home and sat on the drive for while, I did crawl underneath and view the dealership video but must admit I had doubts.
When I bought this vehicle nearly 10 years ago from a main dealer I took out a service contract, that would mean a yearly service paid at that time about 10quid a month.
This year when it went in they kindly spent my service plan money on a service and then failed it on the MOT, nice people aren't they.
After a bit of thinking, I thought (now there's a coincidence)that a second opinion was needed so took to a small local garage that had been recommended to me.
The mechanic crawled underneath and said " Nowt wrong with that as far as I can see at the moment but we need it up on the ramp but can't do that just yet".
Now they have had it up for a better look and said no welding required !!!!! It does need a few bits doing (drop link and brake pipes, number plate damaged etc) but will cost a couple of hundred quid to pass the test.
The part I have missed out of this story up to now is that after the original garage failed it one of the mechanics rang me up and offered to but it from me for £150 as it was an MOT failure and worth nothing.
IT STINKS.
Hopefully it'll be back on the road next week sometime.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 08 Apr 2018, 06:18

Call vosa in, show them the fail sheet and tell them the tester offered £150 as it was scrap effectively. They'll be very interested.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sauer

Post by sauer » 11 Apr 2018, 10:44

I was not ripped off like that , mine truly was needing welding but makes you wonder how many folk ripped off like that ?!