The UK Badgers Menu

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
Cottis

Re: The UK Badgers Menu

Post by Cottis » 02 Sep 2016, 16:10

Aha, the black and white foxes of the world. Shame they are allergic to metal as feeding them lead is something that should be allowed.

They single handedly are the biggest arseholes. Only corner one with steel toe caps and a technique like Johnny Wilkinsons.

Horrible, awful, stinking creatures.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 02 Sep 2016, 17:22

And whilst we're on the subject of out of control wildlife.... Piss Chrackham was advocating on breakfast TV that ticks are virtually huggable and misunderstood and have their place in the scheme of things.

Hmmmnn.

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 02 Sep 2016, 21:38

Am not sure I really needed to know about the intrusion into sheeps udders by Badgers. Moving on i remember seeing a BBC program depicting Badgers in Essex i think, near some landfill or other - could have been Jack Rackham's mob. Anyway they delighted the TV audience by filming Badgers with a large dose of mange - sarcoptic mange I assume - don't think the TV crew had a clue that Mr B was unwell. Matter of record. Did the BBC have the Badger starlets treated after filming I wonder by a friendly vet or did the BBC turn their back and leave them to die progressively of mange. Lets face it, not a big hole out of the BBC budget, treating Badgers and Foxes with mange - only need to be treated about four to six times a year. Then we could all have beautific smiles on our faces and rest easy knowing that a tiny proportion of the BBC budget was systematically spent curing mange and other parasitic plague. Not much money out of their salaries, expenses, or pension funds or off shore tax arrangements or revenue. The King chap would be all tearful and could return to Africa with a clear conscience knowing that British mammals were once again safe watching tele in their snug burrows and the British tax payer totally exonerated by the BBC, and look east could have yet another sort of Field Day. Have you noticed that Nature Hatch doesn't actually depict rabbits with pus in their (no such word as 'pussy' depicting pus in a rabbits eyes) blind eyes but does enjoy their fit demise at the mouths of Stoats, because of course thats nature and spanking good media coverage et alia - now I come to think of it.
Last edited by pickle on 04 Sep 2016, 20:02, edited 5 times in total.

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 03 Sep 2016, 14:16

Make a stand pickle and cancel your DD to the TV licensing authority. The BBC severance packages are a far greater crime than someone not.paying to use equipment they have already paid for.

I wish the BBC would go subscription so they could find out what the real world is like.

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 03 Sep 2016, 14:51

Cottis wrote:Make a stand pickle and cancel your DD to the TV licensing authority. The BBC severance packages are a far greater crime than someone not.paying to use equipment they have already paid for.

I wish the BBC would go subscription so they could find out what the real world is like.
They already know, that's why they fight tooth and nail to keep licensing. Wouldn't last six months in the real world.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Cottis

Post by Cottis » 03 Sep 2016, 17:39

rodp wrote:
Cottis wrote:Make a stand pickle and cancel your DD to the TV licensing authority. The BBC severance packages are a far greater crime than someone not.paying to use equipment they have already paid for.

They already know, that's why they fight tooth and nail to keep licensing. Wouldn't last six months in the real world.
Yep, you're not wrong apart from you are being a bit generous about the six months bit ha ha.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 03 Sep 2016, 17:41

Am not up to speed here with licencing or BBC funding - must look in to this. Generally the BBC seems to be a subliminal organic protoplasmic organisation, a sort of subliminal human honey fungus more concerned about flashing lights lest you have fits or somesuch affliction and then Brucie does dancing in flashing light zones. Then the hacks pop up in war torn zones with bullet proof vests and funny hats amidst yet more flashing lights. Is this a party thing I'm missing out on. I can never see into the blurred bits of mangled body - is this my eyesight or is my TV going on the blink. I like Dimbleby's Land Rover, sort of pc and very green with a smooth advisory get you out of trouble audio crash box. Whatever happened to Al Jazeera in Arabic. Now we seem to get the intensely fixated lady who's full lips curl up towards her hair do - who speaks in English - almost. I don't understand Arabic but the original prograsm was more interesting and challenging to watch and more informative without the words. I believe that it was declared subversive by interested parties because one may have been inclined to learn Arabic.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 04 Sep 2016, 18:05

sorry stacka should have been on top of your post regarding tubed stuff. I gues you mean gallium ar tubes that i have had very little experience with. I like to talk the talk but unable to walk the walk here. Good luck with your serious 'tubed' stuff.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 04 Sep 2016, 20:04

Pickle,
By "tubed stuff" we mean image intensifying night vision devices.
These are based on photomultiplier tubes (we used to call them valves in this country)
The light entering one end of the tube causes a few electrons to be emitted from a cathode.
Those electrons are accelerated towards another cathode which is at a slightly higher voltage and when they hit that cathode, even more electrons are emitted.
With enough cathodes and a high enough voltage, many thousands of electrons can be emitted from a single photon of light entering the tube.
At the opposite end of the tube is a phosphor screen which emits visible light when hit by the electrons.
The end result is that a very small amount of light entering the tube can create a visible image on the phosphor screen at the other end of the tube.
Obviously there are lenses required at both ends and some fancy electronics to keep the tube performing at it's best, but that's really all there is to a "tubed" NV device.
It's actually rather old analog technology, although the best modern tubes cost a fortune and the military are so covetous of them them that they'll put you jail if you get your hands on the very best ones.
Gallium arsenide is the semiconductor material commonly used to make IR LEDs

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

pickle
Stihl pickled

Re: GaAr Tubes & Crikey Moses

Post by pickle » 05 Sep 2016, 09:34

Phoenix man, whoa, i say whoa. Am still on The Sky at Night programme with that lovely old guy Patrick Moore. Now I am getting there but cannot get my head round the technology of 'tubes' just yet. I have read that wafers made from or coated with Gallium Arsenide perform in much the same way as silicon wafers but cost fifty times more to produce. Now it looks like CPU chips could be made in this way and Indium/GaAR coated solar panels are more efficient than silicon coated panels under certain conditions (my very basic study). I first looked through a commercial surveillance device in 1996 and it was pretty basic, hand held but 'high tec' and was 'tubed'. They used to sell these to the police to keep them amused on a night shift. There was no illuminator attached or offered as I remember. That was as close as I got for a long time. Anyway I digress and know nothing but would like to see a diagram or three as i think mind maps are the way forward for dunces like me. You are a lovely chap and you keep my mind active as does this forum. Many thanks for your input. Interestingly I read from the same source that the the American Defense people are under threat from counterfeit components sourced from their very own accredited 'in house' commercial/defence suppliers. These components are (in some cases) so good the Yanks can't tell them apart from the real thing - the real thing!. Wer'e talking very small electrical components (amongst others) going into a myriad of Defense applications. Crikey Moses.
I mean't to add phoenix that i had no idea that GaAr was used in the manufacturing process of IR leds. Am assuming here that IR LED's are made in Europe and the Far East and we know there is a problem with a variation in quality so what does one do. Can i rightly assume here that the IR Leds supplied by the Ward chap are European in origin component wise and he assembles/upgrades them together in house here in the UK. Currently my optic fire XC 50 is all over the shop polar diagram wise (early version not upgraded yet) and I would either like to upgrade with a new Ward pil or a complete ward IR Torch. My upgraded TX38 works quite well and outshines the 50 on the static spotter. Am very confused. I only use my static spotter for distance with M42, have 25mm M12 on portable spotter with XC50 which seems a bit washed out but not bad on this build. And old TX38 on add on DIY scope build. Addendum here 5/09/16. My XC50 does apparently have an upgraded pill - 4715AS IR LED. It may be the lens as there was some problem associated with 'early' lenses apparently. This stuff is better than Tonic Water on Lime.
Last edited by pickle on 06 Sep 2016, 08:44, edited 2 times in total.