The Shooty Mobile

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

The Shooty Mobile

Postby cliveward » 23 Nov 2016, 16:03

Hi All,

I've not had any real time to spend on this project due to work and illness but it's been moving along very slowly. :yawn:

Anyway I'd been looking since February this year for something to replace the Buggy for getting around the fields and woods as a shooting vehicle. The buggy was great but 40mph driving to and from shooting with no windscreen or doors, etc. was starting to become less fun. I looked at newer, better UTVs but the prices are astronomical for something that only does a few hundred miles a year at most! A very lightweight vehicle is essential here due it mostly being arable and needing something that won't dig in and leave more damage in wheel marks than we are trying to prevent by controlling the Rabbits. Also small size is needed for working in the woods. :think:

After much googlage I came across the Japanese mini trucks, and set my sights on a Suzuki, in particular due to a lot of parts being available in the UK as they are used on other models. My exact requirement was a Suzuki Carry truck with low and high 4WD, electric front hubs and most importantly the elusive locking rear diff. ;) Finding one was easier said than done, but eventually after many months I found the exact match at a used car dealers in Japan that does a fair bit of export too. :thumbup:

I had a bit of a haggle and agreed the price and paid the dough. Then was the very long wait while my purchase literally went on a 2 month long world cruise, eventually arriving in Southampton. As I had managed to DIY this so far I thought I might go the whole hog and DIY the import too. Sense got the better of me and I had an agent do it for a whopping £40 and sort out the transporter delivery from the Port to the yard. :thumbup:

It turned up and I could finally see what I had bought. This was a total punt. I had no idea what these vehicles were like or even if I would fit inside it! All was good. It looks in excellent condition for it's 20 years of age, drove fine if a bit slow (but faster than my buggy) and I fitted in it!

Next job was to put some suitable wheels and tyres on it. A bit more googling and measurement found some 13" steel wheels and Italian 155 80 13 full mud terrain tyres to replace the factory 12" wheelbarrow wheels and tyres.

The new shoes certainly made the ride a bit comfier, but they did drone a bit. :lol:

Anyway here's the item in question with it's shiny new boots:

First job was to insure it on the chassis number. The NFU were brilliant for this and very cheap.

The next job was to fit a fog light and get it MOT'd. The first drive on the road was interesting to the MOT garage. Low end power wasn't great but it was OK once it was wound up and again, a bit quicker than the buggy so I was happy. :thumbup: After the MOT garage worked out how to test it (not having done an import before) it passed with zero advisories. :thumbup:

Paperwork is now in with the DVLA for registration.

While waiting for the DVLA I thought a bit of tinkering was in order just to make sure everything is tickety boo. I finally found the air filter and that was rather knackered to say the least and ordered a new one, along with a set of plugs. Fitted the new air filter and swapped the plugs. The old ones were very well sooted from running rich due to the clogged ancient air filter.

I took it for a quick test drive today around the farm and the difference is night and day! Where it was OK before, it's now a total missile! On the way to the MOT it was work to get it up to 40mph. Now it will get to 40 from a standstill in 150 yards still pulling strong and plenty more to go!

Plenty of mods to do yet such as roll cage, camo, roof mounted thermal, etc. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

scirroco

Re: The Shooty Mobile

Postby scirroco » 23 Nov 2016, 16:27

Hi clive
Looks.good,at least you will be able to lift it out if it gets stuck !!
Rgds steve

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 23 Nov 2016, 16:40

Ah, you've finally announced it then :lol: Should be a great tool, Suzi's are really good. I trialed an SJ for years and modified it no end as time went on. Ended up putting 135bhp through the original transfer box and axles and only ever blew one cv and one rear diff.

Is it SJ running gear with separate transfer box and solid propshafts ?
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 23 Nov 2016, 16:53

scirroco wrote:Hi clive
Looks.good,at least you will be able to lift it out if it gets stuck !!
Rgds steve

It's 1.5-2x the weight of a 4x4 quad bike but lighter than a Gator and a quarter of the weight of a full size 4x4 truck. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 23 Nov 2016, 17:30

rodp wrote:Ah, you've finally announced it then :lol: Should be a great tool, Suzi's are really good. I trialed an SJ for years and modified it no end as time went on. Ended up putting 135bhp through the original transfer box and axles and only ever blew one cv and one rear diff.

Is it SJ running gear with separate transfer box and solid propshafts ?

Yep thought I'd better. :thumbup:

I think it may be different because the transfer box on this is a straight line lever 2H-4H-N-4L whereas the SJs have a gate from distant memory.

So it's 660cc 3 cylinder mid mounted engine knocking out around 50 bhp with a vehicle weight of about 650KG.
4 speed manual gearbox.
Separate transfer box.
Locking rear diff is push button and front hubs are automatic in and push button release.

Cheers

Clive

rodp
A bad influence

Postby rodp » 23 Nov 2016, 17:52

Should last well. What happened to the buggy then, did you get it running right in the end?
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 23 Nov 2016, 18:46

That looks a beltIng base vehicle clive.....cant believe its a pick up van with low box and a locking rear diff!
Whats with the front hubs, a limited slip ABS sensor job?

Is there any amount of axel articulation on it?
oslon black drivers
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 24 Nov 2016, 00:18

rodp wrote:Should last well. What happened to the buggy then, did you get it running right in the end?

Got it running perfectly and reliably. The shoot I am a member of bought it. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Postby cliveward » 24 Nov 2016, 00:34

sunndog wrote:That looks a beltIng base vehicle clive.....cant believe its a pick up van with low box and a locking rear diff!
Whats with the front hubs, a limited slip ABS sensor job?

Is there any amount of axel articulation on it?

It certainly has the lot! :thumbup:

Front hubs are just solenoid operated versions of your usual manual free-wheeling hubs. In 2WD the front hubs are disconnected from the drive train for least drag and best fuel economy. When 4WD is engaged, the solenoids lock the hubs to the front drive train and stay locked in until you manually release them by pressing a button on the dash when back in 2WD.

Not a huge amount of articulation hence the need for the rear locker. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Postby sunndog » 24 Nov 2016, 10:52

ah, i thought tractrion control might be a bit posh for it. Still, electric freewheeling hubs are pretty fancy
I'v always took them off landrovers in the past and fitted normal hubs. But every little helps with small engines.

just had a quick google. Well under a ton in weight and 72" wheelbase. obviously forward control so plenty of room in the back. About as wide as an SJ i think.

Might have some parts common with a rascal van too. Cracking lilttle thing :thumbup:
oslon black drivers
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

Return to “Hunting Shack and Gallery”