Fox calling??

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
steve54

Fox calling??

Post by steve54 » 23 Mar 2017, 10:52

Hi Folks.
Been out to try and help a farmer friend who has just lost the first of this years lambs to a fox :x
Went out for two non consecutive nights this week (due to bloody weather) without any luck.
Tried using a caller every 5 minutes or so, with rabbit distress calls, and a shot gutted rabbit as bait at about 60yds. - - no show! The caller does have some fox call on it. How often due you chaps use callers ,and for what length of time?
I was using my .17 hmr , with NS200 on top( +extra ir torch) and a Yukon nv spotter.
I have just ordered a WD800 + B502 torch from Clive, so eagerly awaiting their arrival.
Just wondering what you chaps are using, and would greatly appreciate any helpful tips and advice. :thumbup:
Cheers.
Steve.

blueroll

Re: Fox calling??

Post by blueroll » 23 Mar 2017, 13:23

I can only tell you that I have found that to catch the actual culprit and not another that has been called in needs patience. I park up in my Landy with the "solo rest" on the window and wait and wait and wait. It can help if you can get the farmer to stake a dead lamb in place.

steve54

Post by steve54 » 23 Mar 2017, 18:37

Thanks for the reply blueroll.
The farms fields are in steep valleys, and with all the rain, the gate access to the suspect areas is a total quagmire.. :problem:
Even with my Freelander it's a real issue. Therefore, its a question of parking up as close as possible then lugging all gear to where I want to set up.

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 23 Mar 2017, 18:53

steve54 wrote:Thanks for the reply blueroll.
The farms fields are in steep valleys, and with all the rain, the gate access to the suspect areas is a total quagmire.. :problem:
Even with my Freelander it's a real issue. Therefore, its a question of parking up as close as possible then lugging all gear to where I want to set up.
Portable highseat and wrap up warm.

steve54

Post by steve54 » 23 Mar 2017, 19:25

blueroll wrote:
Portable highseat and wrap up warm.
Now there's a thought... :think:

deerwarden

Post by deerwarden » 23 Mar 2017, 20:43

out of interest, how far do you believe your 17HMR will cleanly kill a fox at, and what is your aim point on a fox's body, deerwarden

steve54

Post by steve54 » 23 Mar 2017, 22:23

I personally, would not go over 100yds, Ideally between 60-80yds.- With chest shot.

richgas

Post by richgas » 24 Mar 2017, 14:26

That's it with foxes....bait....perfect weather and .....nothing. It's like that with foxes. I have all the gear but found you can easily miss the opportunity. Out of all my gear, I've found a quick spin round with a t20 with a red pill can make a massive count difference. Just don't hang up the light on the eyes, ...go back to your NV gear to investigate the eye shine.

Can't afford a trail cam, put a piece of meat tied to a bit of plastic, which isolates a battery in a clock. Gives you exact time the meat was taken.
Besides that just ask the farmer to dump his dead all in the same place...that make it a regular call point with the fox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rodp
A bad influence

Post by rodp » 24 Mar 2017, 15:58

richgas wrote:
That's it with foxes....bait....perfect weather and .....nothing. It's like that with foxes. I have all the gear but found you can easily miss the opportunity. Out of all my gear, I've found a quick spin round with a t20 with a red pill can make a massive count difference. Just don't hang up the light on the eyes, ...go back to your NV gear to investigate the eye shine.

Can't afford a trail cam, put a piece of meat tied to a bit of plastic, which isolates a battery in a clock. Gives you exact time the meat was taken.
Besides that just ask the farmer to dump his dead all in the same place...that make it a regular call point with the fox

Don't you mean tie the string to the battery so when it's pulled out the clock the time is stopped ? That's how I always did it.

Edit to say tie string LOOSELY to the battery ( a big loop) so battery slides out. Otherwise you'll be forever buying batteries.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

richgas

Post by richgas » 24 Mar 2017, 17:06

rodp wrote:
richgas wrote:

Don't you mean tie the string to the battery so when it's pulled out the clock the time is stopped ? That's how I always did it.

Edit to say tie string LOOSELY to the battery ( a big loop) so battery slides out. Otherwise you'll be forever buying batteries.
Yes ..that way also.