Fox calling??

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
axel

Re: Fox calling??

Post by axel » 26 Mar 2017, 12:54

Using the clock and battery is A method I've often used , but that only tells you that one fox as come in to the bait
there might be more coming in later. If you can get your self a trail cam that will show you when and how many plus you can leave it out over 2 or 3 nights so you can see if there's a pattern to their movements.

steve54

Post by steve54 » 26 Mar 2017, 19:07

Thanks all for the replies. - Much appreciated. :thumbup:

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 07 Feb 2018, 13:12

In the UK, foxes and rabbits are the 2 most common things shot using night vision and there are quite a few people on this forum who are expert fox shooters.
Unfortunately dead foxes have no value (they used to before the anti fur brigade got everyone to believe that wear a dead animal skin was "bad")
Most shooting is to help farmers protect their lambs/chickens/ducks etc from the foxes. Also gamekeepers shoot foxes to protect their young pheasants/partridges/grouse.
Foxes are most active at night so that's why night vision equipment is necessary in most cases

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

hairlesshunter

Post by hairlesshunter » 11 Feb 2018, 21:36

steve54 wrote:Hi Folks.
Been out to try and help a farmer friend who has just lost the first of this years lambs to a fox :x
Went out for two non consecutive nights this week (due to bloody weather) without any luck.
Tried using a caller every 5 minutes or so, with rabbit distress calls, and a shot gutted rabbit as bait at about 60yds. - - no show! The caller does have some fox call on it. How often due you chaps use callers ,and for what length of time?
I was using my .17 hmr , with NS200 on top( +extra ir torch) and a Yukon nv spotter.
I have just ordered a WD800 + B502 torch from Clive, so eagerly awaiting their arrival.
Just wondering what you chaps are using, and would greatly appreciate any helpful tips and advice. :thumbup:
Cheers.
Steve.
I have found that the adult rat call works well

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 12 Feb 2018, 17:18

On the topic of 17hmr against a fox

It's borderline in my opinion.
The only sure shot is a close range head shot which drops them stone dead.

I have unfortunately hit a fox at 60 yards in his front upper chest and he still ran for the hills, never to be seen again... I wasn't proud of that.

So now it's clean head shots or nothing.
I've lost a few opportunities because if this , but it's better than seeing a wounded animal run away.

If you really need to shoot body shots then get a .223 , that's my next purchase.

And regards to fox calling, once every 3 to 4 minutes is enough , any more than that and it's going to sound odd and unnatural.
Once you see the fox, reduce the volume and use it sparingly, just to draw his attention.
Bait works too, but don't sit directly down wind, the fox will tend to circle the caller to get it's scent before approaching.

Tracker

steve54

Post by steve54 » 16 Mar 2018, 09:00

Thanks Trackerman.
Since my first post last year, I have now have a Tikka .223 for foxing.
Have set it up with a Ward 800S, and Black sun B502, which is a nice combo. :thumbup:

Trackerman

Post by Trackerman » 19 Mar 2018, 19:12

Ah, now your talking.

Which version of the Tikka .223 did you get?

steve54

Post by steve54 » 19 Mar 2018, 19:33

Hi Trackerman.
I was a T3 Lite in .223 , with synthetic stock.
I was amazed that it shot the cheapest ppu factory ammo so accurately.
With homeloads, supplied courtesy of a local club member clover leafing groups at 100m :thumbup:
Well chuffed