Ultimate Fox Bait?

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
2011 fawcett
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 23:01
Location: Kent

Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by 2011 fawcett » 24 Mar 2017, 21:59

I have found what was reputed to be the ultimate Fox bait in an old thread on Pigeon Watch. The bait is based on boiled clippings from horses hoofs and once matured for a few weeks stinks like hell and attracts Foxes like iron filings to a magnet. The method of use was to spray it on the ground or bushes or soaked cotton wool in a perforated container.

Has anyone used this method or have any knowledge of it?

User avatar
fizzbangwhallop
Posts: 1863
Joined: 18 Oct 2011, 11:27
Location: north herts

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 24 Mar 2017, 22:08

2011 fawcett wrote:I have found what was reputed to be the ultimate Fox bait in an old thread on Pigeon Watch. The bait is based on boiled clippings from horses hoofs and once matured for a few weeks stinks like hell and attracts Foxes like iron filings to a magnet. The method of use was to spray it on the ground or bushes or soaked cotton wool in a perforated container.

Has anyone used this method or have any knowledge of it?
I tried 'brewing' some a few years ago but think I didn't have enough clippings....what I did have stunk though ☠️ Enough to make me careful what I put it in to stick in me pocket....to be fair I didn't have enough to decide whether it worked or not.

Cheers

Fizz
Image

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

User avatar
rodp
A bad influence
Posts: 4160
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by rodp » 24 Mar 2017, 22:41

George was going to send me some but he "left" before doing so. Wonder how he's doing ?? :think:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

User avatar
hairyyoda
Posts: 924
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 18:26
Location: Carmarthenshire

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by hairyyoda » 25 Mar 2017, 20:50

You can get a very similar smell/odour from the large dog chews that are made from the "rolled up pieces of thick hide" from a old school pet shop. Making a paste and add some reduced Bovril or Oxo Cubes will also smell similar, as it will give off a similar smell to the rendered carcass body parts of farm livestock.
Foxes in game rearing areas are switched on to associating the smell of Aniseed with release pens and game poults being around, the livestock giant leg bones that are sold in some of the better pet shops can render a good amount of marrow for starting to make a lure mix.
If you can match a similar smell to the smell that wafted off the "warmed-up old fashioned carpenters glue pot" your heading for the right result.
Most beef and dairy livestock farms will have a "Hoof Trimmer" who is booked for recurring visits for animal welfare foot trimming, find out who they are and befriend them ?
Stables and riding establishments would have a "farrier" who would be hoof trimming and re-shoeing every six to ten week.
Your local hunt kennels would be a good source of "knacker-man leftovers"

Invest your hard earned in a "big cauldron" and cook up a strong smelly brew until your neighbours start complaining :thumbup:

Get a "Small Business Government Grant" and starts to produce large batches for retail so that you and the family can operate a stall at every major Game Fair and country event ?

Introduce yourself to the "Warrener" to share the overheads of a prime positioned stall at the major country events so that you can have some spare time to share your foxing experiences.

Patent and copyright your "lure recipe" and sell out to a multi national and retire on the proceeds ? :roll: :crazy: :lol:

Sorry in advance.
Phil
ImageImage

User avatar
rodp
A bad influence
Posts: 4160
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by rodp » 25 Mar 2017, 21:12

hairyyoda wrote:You can get a very similar smell/odour from the large dog chews that are made from the "rolled up pieces of thick hide" from a old school pet shop. Making a paste and add some reduced Bovril or Oxo Cubes will also smell similar, as it will give off a similar smell to the rendered carcass body parts of farm livestock.
Foxes in game rearing areas are switched on to associating the smell of Aniseed with release pens and game poults being around, the livestock giant leg bones that are sold in some of the better pet shops can render a good amount of marrow for starting to make a lure mix.
If you can match a similar smell to the smell that wafted off the "warmed-up old fashioned carpenters glue pot" your heading for the right result.
Most beef and dairy livestock farms will have a "Hoof Trimmer" who is booked for recurring visits for animal welfare foot trimming, find out who they are and befriend them ?
Stables and riding establishments would have a "farrier" who would be hoof trimming and re-shoeing every six to ten week.
Your local hunt kennels would be a good source of "knacker-man leftovers"

Invest your hard earned in a "big cauldron" and cook up a strong smelly brew until your neighbours start complaining :thumbup:

Get a "Small Business Government Grant" and starts to produce large batches for retail so that you and the family can operate a stall at every major Game Fair and country event ?

Introduce yourself to the "Warrener" to share the overheads of a prime positioned stall at the major country events so that you can have some spare time to share your foxing experiences.

Patent and copyright your "lure recipe" and sell out to a multi national and retire on the proceeds ? :roll: :crazy: :lol:

Sorry in advance.
Phil

That may do better than you think Phil, it's quite a well known recipe but folk struggle to get the ingredients (hoof)
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

User avatar
hairyyoda
Posts: 924
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 18:26
Location: Carmarthenshire

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by hairyyoda » 25 Mar 2017, 21:28

I will call in a few favours Rod, "expect a smelly parcel in the post when I get some ?" O/K
Phil
ImageImage

2011 fawcett
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 23:01
Location: Kent

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by 2011 fawcett » 25 Mar 2017, 23:24

Cheers for the input fellows it is reassuring to see that there is still some interest in this method as the thread was quite an old one. A friend and myself are going to try this but as noted obtaining a quantity of the hoof trimmings is a challenge. My neighbour has two horses and a pony which are attended by the farrier every six weeks but the amount of hoof trimmings is barely a hand full. However there could be a source of supply there.

The recipe included dire warnings of - DO NOT GET THE MIXTURE ON YOUR HANDS OR CLOTHES AS IT STINKS LIKE HELL AND DOES NOT WASH OFF BUT HAS TO WEAR OFF. Someone in that thread spilt some in their pickup and had to live with it for weeks.

User avatar
rodp
A bad influence
Posts: 4160
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by rodp » 26 Mar 2017, 07:25

hairyyoda wrote:I will call in a few favours Rod, "expect a smelly parcel in the post when I get some ?" O/K
Phil

That would be good Phil as I never managed to find any. :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

axel
Posts: 135
Joined: 23 Oct 2012, 13:49
Location: warwickshire

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by axel » 26 Mar 2017, 12:41

I tried doing this about 5 years ago. The mixture is still sitting in the plastic container.
I just never got round to using it. What with all to other stuff I carry when out in the field.
Maybe I should give it a go, the thing is on some of the places I go the farmers keep a bait point going all year round and the other places don't lend themselves to using it

2011 fawcett
Posts: 26
Joined: 20 Feb 2013, 23:01
Location: Kent

Re: Ultimate Fox Bait?

Post by 2011 fawcett » 26 Mar 2017, 18:37

axel wrote:I tried doing this about 5 years ago. The mixture is still sitting in the plastic container.
I just never got round to using it. What with all to other stuff I carry when out in the field.
Maybe I should give it a go, the thing is on some of the places I go the farmers keep a bait point going all year round and the other places don't lend themselves to using it
Oh boy, they say it improves with age, that must be well matured. Open with caution.

Post Reply