RABBITS(or lack of ?)

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
hussar

RABBITS(or lack of ?)

Postby hussar » 28 Mar 2017, 23:27

Having been pest controlling rabbits on three farms and a tree nursery in nth yorks for 15 years i have shot thousands over this time and the sale of same has helped greatly with costs of fuel and ammo at aged 75 and no longer having a shooting mate last september i was going to pack it in there was a decent head of bunnies left but not like last few years then i was asked by a mate to carry on which i was glad to do i put back in for my ticket we went to my perms 3 weeks ago i was gutted to find numbers had dropped by 60 to 80 percent he then showed me a vid of his perm in cumbria done last october it was crawling with them so on monday we went to his place same thing worked our socks off for6 hours for bag of 50 as an hgv driver i had crossed the a66 at night hundreds of times and from brough to scotch corner saw rabbits on the verges in hundreds i was very sad to only count only 48 so did a bit reading only to find that RVHD in scotland over the last 5 years has dropped the numbers by 60 percent so after seeing the decline in numbers on our perms ican only conclude that the loss is down to RVHD and it has at least come as far south as the humber your thoughts on this lads if you will cheers trev

Cottis

Re: RABBITS(or lack of ?)

Postby Cottis » 29 Mar 2017, 20:54

Not sure about either strain of RVHD but in North Oxon/South Warwicks, I have found rabbit numbers seem to vary much and I can never quite figure out why.

When I was a young lad, we used to see loads down bridleways and in tucked away places but when I have gone back in later years, they are just not there in the same numbers.

More recently, I have seen reductions on golf courses (where I play and shoot, so see first hand changes in daylight and at night)

On my families farmland, again there seem to be less around. Hopefully it is because I am shooting a fair few. It has been at least a couple of years since I have seen any sign of Mixy on my shoots so maybe it is something else nailing them. I know nobody else is shooting the land. I don't believe there is an increase in predators, as local pheasant shoots mean that local fox numbers are kept well under control. There are many Kites and Buzzards around but I doubt they take enough rabbit to seriously impact numbers.

I just don't get it but then my brother in law the other day called me and said he needed me to go to some ground that he rents where the rabbits are seriously nailing the wheat in its early days. I had a quick look the other day and oh boy was he right. I spoke to the land owner himself and he said historically there were only ever a handful of rabbits here and there but from the damage I have seen, there must be a hell of a lot. I had a quick check with the NV later and my fears were confirmed. Rabbits were absolutely everywhere.

They just seem to come and go. Bit like cycle of specimen Perch.

Brooksy

Postby Brooksy » 29 Mar 2017, 22:06

Loads in Cheshire, but they seem to get depleted by mixy etc, then bounce back. Went to one of my perms last November, mixy had wiped them out. By early February the landowner was ringing me to attend. How they bred during winter I don't know, but as it has been mild, maybe the diseases and the bunnies keep going?
Or, are they evolving and moving away from danger? Now, don't laugh off my evolution theory. As a train driver, 15 years ago I drove diesels between Liverpool and Birmingham and we struggled to hold 100 mph, in that 90 mile journey I hit an average of 3 wood pigeons. Now I drive electrics at 110 mph and they all get out of the way!! Weird, but true.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

hairyyoda

Postby hairyyoda » 30 Mar 2017, 21:36

RVHD seems to come from no-where in very short time ? a perfect looking rabbit corpse will be found with just a bloodied nose/mouth area. Rabbits would probably suffer less with RVHD than Mixy ? A wind borne and contact borne virus.
Phil

hussar

Postby hussar » 31 Mar 2017, 00:01

as you say phil it kills far faster than mixie incubation 12 to 24 hrs drop dead 2 days later a very nasty thing but its ruining our bit of sport but i bet the farmers wont complain trev

pav

Postby pav » 01 Apr 2017, 18:46

I have a lot of land very close to you and there still a lot of rabbits about and with plenty of young on ground now it gets silly season for me soon as young are around

hussar

Postby hussar » 02 Apr 2017, 01:25

i get what you say pav you are more lucky than most the lads i have spoken to say they are down on numbers and what they do have seem to be dotted about in small pockets the numbers on my perms seem to be down 60-70 percent

pav

Postby pav » 02 Apr 2017, 08:17

60 percent is a lot of rabbits considering the area for rabbits some years mixi hits bad but the amount of rabbits there it doesn't really affect it i just hope that other thing doesn't get to my lot because it can be a nice little earner bunny shooting

bobbydazzler

Postby bobbydazzler » 23 Apr 2017, 07:06

where I live I and permissions 60 miles away rabbit numbers are down to an all time low by as much as 80% at least I would say .myxi hasn't been seen locally for around 3 years.

Radagast
junior librarian

Postby Radagast » 23 Apr 2017, 07:33

The latest version of RHVD was released nation wide in Australia on the 17th of March. When originally released in OZ some Kiwi farmers came over and allegedly took back thermoses full of blended infected rabbit, which they then released in New Zealand, causing massive die off over there.
Its possible someone has released the new variant in the UK.

Return to “Hunting Shack and Gallery”