Foxes ir

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
dunker

Foxes ir

Post by dunker » 19 Oct 2017, 10:26

Has anyone noticed foxes becoming aware of ir ? I use gen 3 tubed so need very little if any ir.out last night, they had just cut the maize, had 3fox,I did notice that if I used ir the foxes were definitely aware of it. Has anyone else noticed this ?.

warbucks

Re: Foxes ir

Post by warbucks » 19 Oct 2017, 10:59

Hi Dunker.
In the last 4 1/2 years i've shot 725 foxes mainly with the Drone Pro, and T66.
What ive found is if the fox isnt looking towards your i/r (walking in the opposite direction)when you turn the I/R on, therefore lighting it up with i/r light, they never turn round or run off, but if they are looking near the direction of the I/R, they do see the red glow.

Depending on weather they have been shot at before or not will depend on weather they will run off, just look and think (what's that) or ignore it.

A couple of years ago i had a fox that i had missed twice, every time it then came into that field it would look for the glow, then run off, i tried using a 940nm laser, but just couldn't get the range needed, in the end what i did was wait at a 90* direction for it to appear, appear it did, looked in the usual direction for the red glow, as there was no red glow in that direction it entered the field, a few seconds later i got it.

Dave (warbucks)

dunker

Re: Foxes ir

Post by dunker » 19 Oct 2017, 12:10

Hi Dave,
I was observing with the scope no ir , they were sniffing about going left to right in front of me ,when I put the ir on they looked in my direction and then started to walk away from me ,ie they changed direction of travel.So they definitely see the ir, but did not seem alarmed by it "yet".
Regards Brian