Deer shooting advice

Chat about your shooting and hunting. (Nothing illegal or cruel, please). Post pics or videos.
andy66

Deer shooting advice

Post by andy66 » 19 Dec 2017, 20:25

Here is the scenario I have 2 dairy, beef and sheep farms in South Wales that have a lot of red deer that pass over their land (the farms are right next to each other). The farmers have asked me if I can shoot the deer as pests due to the fact they are destroying hedge rows causing cows to wonder and recently a road kill deer was diagnosed to have TB just 2 miles away from the area. So my question is can I shoot them?? I have access to a 6.5 creedmore, a certified butcher as a friend but I do not have any deer stalking certs.

Thanks in advance

Andy

blueroll

Re: Deer shooting advice

Post by blueroll » 19 Dec 2017, 20:31

What does it say on you FAC ?

andy66

Post by andy66 » 19 Dec 2017, 20:48

No mention of shooting deer on my licence as I have never needed to shoot any. Thought I would ask on here first to see if this is possible without needing a deer stalking licence or if anyone experienced similar issues and what they were advised. I just don't want to send in my licence a letter and variation to be told to pi** off.

Cheers
Andy

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 19 Dec 2017, 21:24

If it doesn't already say "Any other legal quarry" (AOLQ) on your certificate then put it in for a variation to add those words.
You need to establish if the land over which you want to shoot has ever been passed as safe by the Police. If anyone else has ever shot there legally, it's likely that the land has been inspected and passed as safe - but you need to be certain about this.
Once you have that and the written permission of the farmers, you can then shoot the deer (on their land) with a 6.5 creedmor as long as the bullet you use has a muzzle energy of at least 1700ftlbs and is designed to expand.
Federal fusion or power shock 140 grain would do the job nicely.
You do NOT need any deer stalking certs, they are not a legal requirement and the police have no authority to refuse your variation on the grounds that you do not have any deer stalking certificates.
It sounds more like pest control than stalking (not an uncommon situation in my part of the world), so don't worry about all the formalities and niceties surrounding a traditional stalk.
I may have missed out some bits, but I'm sure other forum members will jump in and add/amend/clarify my comments

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 19 Dec 2017, 23:35

I think Bruce as covered it, other than that make sure what your shooting is in season,even if it’s pest control otherwise you would need to get permission from your local authority in England it’s Natural England,but I’m not sure in Wales I would have to look back at my DSC papers.

The other thing to concider is you say you have access to a 6.5 creedmoor, but do you have that on your ticket, unless it comes under the estate rifle ruling?

Just a bit more to concider anyway best of luck.

Kevgun

oaken8

Post by oaken8 » 20 Dec 2017, 10:34

2 minor points. If the person shooting has an open ticket they can shoot anywhere they see fit. ie. Land does not need to be passed by police but you do need landowners permission, preferably in writing.
Check twist rate for 140gr. It's at the heavy end for 6.5. Will need 1:8 to stabilise for acceptable accuracy.
If you are unsure of anything, I'm sure there are many here will help you out

andy66

Post by andy66 » 20 Dec 2017, 14:29

Hi guys, thanks for the great advice. Its really helpful getting some advice before sending away letters and licence away to the firearms dept.

When I say I have access to a 6.5CM i mean its on my licence for target but will need to get it changed also for deer and when I do purchase it will be 1 in 8 twist.

I have an open licence and both farms have been passed many years ago for .270 with excellent backstops and have written permission ready to send to the FAO.

Will let you know in a few weeks on how I get on (depending how busy the FAO is)

Thanks again

Andy

scirroco

Post by scirroco » 20 Dec 2017, 17:05

Hi andy
If the land was passed many years ago for 270..your 6.5 is a lower cal than 270..
You just need to write a letter into your licensing office and Nd ask for your fac to be conditioned for deer , control to be added to your cert written.permission from the farmer will help,give them a call they will guide you in the right direction,
Rgds steve

andy66

Post by andy66 » 20 Dec 2017, 19:04

scirroco wrote:Hi andy
If the land was passed many years ago for 270..your 6.5 is a lower cal than 270..
You just need to write a letter into your licensing office and Nd ask for your fac to be conditioned for deer , control to be added to your cert written.permission from the farmer will help,give them a call they will guide you in the right direction,
Rgds steve
Thanks Steve, will get onto them first thing tomorrow.

:thumbup:

Andy

scirroco

Post by scirroco » 20 Dec 2017, 19:37

Hi andy
No.probs your welcome..
And in regard to shooting deer out of season,its legal as long as they are causing damgage,its the shooters who has to determine that actual damge is taking ,dont just take the farmers word for it,its on your head at the end of the day,if you need anymore info just pm me with a phone no
Rgds steve