Drone Pro Mount from Neil Mckillop

This is for members to sell, buy or swap goods.
sauer

Re: Drone Pro Mount from Neil Mckillop

Post by sauer » 27 Jun 2017, 01:54

phoenix wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by the "newer standard mount" but the Drone has a QR picatinny mount which is attached to the wedge shaped rail on the base of the Drone - I believe this is called the prism rail
Neil McKillops mount does away with the QR picatinny mount and fixes directly to the prism rail - this keeps the height down, but still allows the bolt to operate correctly
Also, Neils' mount attaches directly to the dovetail on the Tikka with 2 screws and is normally fitted pretty far back on the Tikka rail to get the users eye right into the rubber cup on the end of the scope.
I'm delighted you've managed to get Neil to agree to make some more because this mount is far and away the neatest, tidiest, smartest method of mounting a drone onto a Tikka - all the others I've seen look pretty ugly and amateur by comparison.

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce
How does the tikka dovetails differ from Sako?

I have an m591 and if was compatible I'd have one for my drone

Paul

jeffo

Post by jeffo » 27 Jun 2017, 07:41

How much r they

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 27 Jun 2017, 07:47

Gudge wrote:Ahh I can't seem to attach the pictures to show you.

Im looking at the pictures of the slightly older 10x v the one my mates just bought and the older one definitely doesn't come as far back as the new one. On the old one the cup doesn't make it to the front knuckle of the comb so when Neil's mount is fitted it comes a couple of inches back up the comb but the new drones siting on a standard picatinny rail reach back to the same place as the old drone with Neil's mount. Or so it appears.

I wish I could put the pictures on it would make it a lot easier. Lol

Either way I will have one as I don't want to miss the boat incase I'm wrong but my mate says it's no different so he's now not going to bother.

Gudge
Here are some pics of Neil McKillops Drone Pro mount on a Tikka T3.
OK, it's a thermal scope and not a Drone, but the prism rail mounting is the same.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=13391&hilit=thermal&start=10

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Gudge

Post by Gudge » 27 Jun 2017, 15:12

Hey chaps,

Right spoke to Neil today.

Now he said that the last batch he made was for £145 and he said he made a loss on them????

So he's saying he will have to sell them for £180 this time round!

Unfortunately that's a bit to much for me to be honest for the small difference I think I let will make. however I can organise a batch to be made if there's enough people still eating them?
Let me know

Gudge

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 27 Jun 2017, 21:32

What does he make them out of? If it's aluminium I'm not interested. Having now looked at the picture of it and only having one fixing, I'm not sure it's any more rigid than the original clamp, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 27 Jun 2017, 21:42

The problem with the Drone mount arises when bolting it into the rear most position because the distance between the bolt centres decreases and allows the Drone to flex on the mount under recoil changing the point of impact for elevation each time.

It's a fantastic scope spoilt by the mounting system, I would like to see it made out of steel rather than aluminium, the repeatability of the mount is not good and I think it could be improved with a better material.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 27 Jun 2017, 22:29

I have 2 of Neil Mckillops mounts on Tikka T3s - one is a .243 with a Drone and the other a 22-250 with a 75-6 thermal scope on it.
I've never had any POI shift problems on either set up.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Mini Magnum

Post by Mini Magnum » 28 Jun 2017, 00:25

I've got one on my .223 Tikka, great mount for sure..

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 28 Jun 2017, 11:24

If you say it's OK Bruce that's good enough for me, I'm in for one if they go ahead, I have completely lost faith in the original mount, I just have 2 expensive doorstops at the moment.

Gudge

Post by Gudge » 28 Jun 2017, 13:28

As you said kevgun, Bruce knows his stuff and has one already and likes it which is a good sign.

All I'm worried about is how secure it will be being held on the single mount right at the back with no support elsewhere. My rifle is always with me in the truck/buggy or Quad and they tend to get well used and don't know how it would handle being knocked and banged. Atleast the drone mount has two anchor points on the gun spread out abit.

What do you think bearing in mind it's twice the price of a standard tikka picatinny rail? I just don't want to buy one if I then have to go and spend another £100 on a rail because Neil's mount isn't sturdy enough to handle the daily use. (Not saying it is I might be wrong)