OOOOOPS 2 more VF-C2 units wasted !!!

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

OOOOOPS 2 more VF-C2 units wasted !!!

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 13 Jun 2015, 11:22

Many people have said to me why do i need my viewfinder hardened as I have my nightvision on a 308 and its been fine........

I have now had 2 more people come to me trying to get a new ribbon cable for the viewfinder because the recoil has ripped it......on....yes
you have guessed right, one was a 308 and surprisingly one was on a .223

As most of you know, you cannot get just the ribbon cable replaced, it's a whole new unit of nearly £100

If anyone wants a recoil proofed job done on a VF-C2 or any other circuit going on a rifle then MP me......I'm not using tactics to worry anyone, it's going to save money in the long run, not only that the unit will be more water and corrosion resistant !

Cannot say who this is as client confidentiality but this is a ribbon cable that was part of a vf-2c that was not recoil proofed, it cannot be repaired !

[img]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

Kind regards Splatty

Jirka

Re: OOOOOPS 2 more VF-C2 units wasted !!!

Post by Jirka » 13 Jun 2015, 13:28

Do I understand it correctly that the cable was torn apart where it bends around the connector on the pcb? Do you know how the driver board was installed (what position and how it was fixed to the enclosure)?

I am not sure what the situation is today, but when I was using VF-2C last year, you could buy the display + ribbon cable separately on eBay.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 13 Jun 2015, 14:12

Yes you are correct, the ribbon cable and screen was sold together at a stupid price of £63 as I recall. Its not being sold separately anymore. I think jian and i are the only sellers of the unit now . And yes that one is torn at the connector, wouldn't happen if I potted it !

Paul1961

Post by Paul1961 » 14 Jun 2015, 11:24

Splatty,

Do you pot the entire length of the ribbon cable?

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 14 Jun 2015, 11:40

Paul1961 wrote:Splatty,

Do you pot the entire length of the ribbon cable?
Yes, if the unit is is staying as a whole unit and your not mounting it anywhere else then if I am doing it like that then I pot the electronics deep so a lot of the ribbon is submerged. Then I put a glase over the exposed part to make it ridged, so no flex under recoil. If im setting other electronics in with it like the regulator and voltage osd then I do the same with that too and all the wire stays submerged or glazed.

If you want to relocate the screen then I do the rest and after you have located the screen then you will glaze the ribbon that is left exposed. Not many people have asked for that as the weakest part of the ribbon that is the connection to the board is always submerged in the compound anyway .....I have had none back on any that have gone on high recoil rifles after I have done this.

However I have sold an extra 5 units that I know of to people who have not had this done. Maybe im doing myself out of business lol

Mick Miller

Post by Mick Miller » 14 Jun 2015, 12:58

I am bewildered as to how this can happen.

If the Oriscape BOARD is mounted correctly and securely AND the oriscape screen is mounted securely the two cannot move. I can only put this down to bodged installations; of which I have seen plenty.

I've used my own setup on 243 and occasionally 308's for over two years. No problems whatsoever.

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 14 Jun 2015, 14:02

Mick Miller wrote:I am bewildered as to how this can happen.

If the Oriscape BOARD is mounted correctly and securely AND the oriscape screen is mounted securely the two cannot move. I can only put this down to bodged installations; of which I have seen plenty.

I've used my own setup on 243 and occasionally 308's for over two years. No problems whatsoever.
Im not sure you have the whole picture of what i am trying to get at ?
What do you think happens to the ribbon cable over time while its springing back and forth through recoil, also think that the ribbon cable has thin strands of metallic conductors that are bending and flexing....something gives eventually, trust me, i'm an electronics engineer and have seen ribbon
cables go down with the same problem on high vibration equipment also. Not only that, you have to think about corrosion with some people, as some hunt in all weathers and this setup is not just for recoil, its for longevity of the product.

The other guy had just the attitude you have, yep you may be one of the lucky ones and it may never happen.....up to the individual I suppose :thumbup:

All i'm saying is yes you may be lucky that yours is ok and you may be shooting with it for many years to come and fab for you, but the numbers speak for themselves and I bet a lot more people have had the same problem and haven't come forward.....I must be doing something right as I have made 25 various modifications with embedded OSD's and regulators all built into the VF-C2 with potting compound, that's just in the last month. They will all
never have to worry about water ingress, protection of the circuit or vibration !

Splatty

Mick Miller

Post by Mick Miller » 14 Jun 2015, 14:11

So you incase the entire ribbon cable? Sorry, I just read the above posts.

So how does this work for custom builds where you want to position the screen in a different position from standard? I can see what your getting at with regards to flex but your example given of where ribbon cables give up due to vibration is at the extreme end of the scale is it not? Many thousands of vibrations over an extended period, not occasional ones infrequently. I still think this is more due to overstressing a part during installation or shoddy installation and construction rather than caused by the recoil of a 308 rifle. If that is a concern you could simply using fibre glass reinforced tape to give the ribbon additional support.

I'll give you the nod as regards potting though. That is a very useful extra and well worth it given the conditions some might want to shoot in. Although I've not suffered with that problem either - yet!

CustomRifleScopesUK
TRADER MEMBER

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 14 Jun 2015, 14:48

Most are custom builds !!! ....I did mention it before, the potting compound can be glazed over the ribbon once in place,
this makes it more ridged.
Being ex military engineer I have worked on hardened equipment that resist all types of problems that most electronics
don't have to worry about shock, vibration, EMF ....all down to "type of use".....but, if your going to put a VF-C2 that is
not designed for recoil or vibration on a rifle that produces high levels of shock waves then your heading for problems!

If you can still get access to the ribbon cable, a few drops of compound glazed over will help wonders :thumbup:

Mick Miller

Post by Mick Miller » 14 Jun 2015, 15:06

Umm, and if you can only apply it before assembly is it still possible? I would have thought the fibreglass reinforced tape option (both sides) would give enough support and strengthening provided that the board and screen are held securely.

On my designed unit the board is held really securely, the screen is held more securely than in the original oriscape housing. However, I have to assemble the screen to the board and then offer the eyepiece and screen housing up (it's in two parts) to the screen and then this housing is held to the body with three screws.

Internally the ribbon cable is supported in two points. One point one third of the way up as the ribbon cable exits the eyepiece and then again two thirds of the way along the length as it passes through the add-on body. I can't see how - in my design - that the cable would move more than a few millimetres at worst. Still, I do favour belts AND braces wherever possible!

Actually - could you look at this stuff (I have loads of it) and tell me if it would be suitable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6D1ZgzGT78

Because I can create custom molds (3d printed) which could be used to encapsulate my boards in my builds.