Maplins going under?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

Maplins going under?

Post by rodp » 20 Feb 2018, 17:16

Just read on another forum Maplins are about to call in the receivers :think: Might pay to not buy anything off them until confirmed one way or another.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Re: Maplins going under?

Post by hairyyoda » 20 Feb 2018, 20:40

Rod they carry a good selection range in their stock but I have always found them to be at top prices for every thing,
:wave: may be a close out sale is coming ?
Thanks
Phil
ImageImageImage

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 21 Feb 2018, 16:33

hairyyoda wrote:Rod they carry a good selection range in their stock but I have always found them to be at top prices for every thing,
:wave: may be a close out sale is coming ?
Thanks
Phil

They can be expensive Phil, but there's a big branch at Merry Hill five minutes from me so very handy.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

silent shooter
FOUNDER

Post by silent shooter » 21 Feb 2018, 19:52

I will definitely miss them there is a big one very close to me and there are two staff in there that really know there stuff when it comes to CCTV,not like a lot of stores were they keep passing you round the bloody store from one staff to another.

Geoff

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 28 Feb 2018, 12:34

:wave: BBC Breaking News is scrolling across the bottom of the screen Maplins and Toys are Us have both gone in to administration with 5,000 jobs at risk.

Thanks
Phil
ImageImageImage

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 28 Feb 2018, 17:44

Yep, looks like they've gone. But on the bright side my daughter is under orders to come and get some cash and hot foot it to Toys R us tomorrow to see what bargains she can get for the grandaughter. Every cloud has a silver lining :roll:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 28 Feb 2018, 18:14

:wave:
Correction Maplins 2,500 jobs, Toys r Us 3,000 jobs, tough and miserable for the work force of both firms :(

Thanks
Phil

p.s. has anyone tied Maplins 1.6 volt AA rechargeable batteries ?
ImageImageImage

Brooksy

Post by Brooksy » 28 Feb 2018, 20:57

Though I do feel sorry for the staff at Maplin, I can't help but feel it was a long time coming.
I bought some amber LEDs from them a while back, two of them failed necessitating the strip down of the lens twice to replace them, after which I found I'd been supplied with completely the wrong values on the first place.
Then I got a voucher for ten quid off any purchase over a tenner, on line only. Used it to buy a power bank recharger, but the code wouldn't work on their website. I found out a week later that they had charged me full price for the power bank - £16.99, but hadn't marked it for delivery or even logged my name and address. The money was in their account but they were just happy to keep it until I noticed. Thank God I got it back before now !!!
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

snipertez

Post by snipertez » 13 Mar 2018, 12:37

My lad works part-time at the Exeter store. He was told, last wkend, he has a couple more wks work before they shut down that branch.

snipertez

Post by snipertez » 26 Mar 2018, 06:37

snipertez wrote:My lad works part-time at the Exeter store. He was told, last wkend, he has a couple more wks work before they shut down that branch.
Well, he's still there at the moment doing shifts, but still no talk of someone/anyone taking control of the company.