Can anyone identify this component?

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Harleyman

Can anyone identify this component?

Post by Harleyman » 25 Sep 2018, 19:17

Hi, can any of you electronic wizards out there identify the large component in the pic? It is the push/rotary mode selector on my photon rt. Unfortunately i managed to drop the rifle with the scope on and i think it landed on the knob, as it would not work afterwards, it seemed like yhe black shaft had got pushed too far down as it wouldn't "click" when pressed. As it is now without the top cover on, it will feel as if it is working, but it doesn't select any modes on the scope, it is stuck on one mode. I don't think it will be a " special" specifically made for the photon, but is more likely to.be a standard component, if only i could find it. I don't even know what to search for, what would it be classed as? If i can obtain one, i feel confident i could replace it without sending the scope back to Belarus, as i used to be a sevice engineer for some CNC equipment in the pcb industry, so am used to replacing components on pcb assemblies. Hope somebody will recognise it. Thanks
https://ibb.co/nv91SU
Last edited by Harleyman on 27 Sep 2018, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

Harleyman

Re: Can anyone identify this component?

Post by Harleyman » 25 Sep 2018, 19:20

Tried to add a picture, but not able to do it for some reason. What is the process?

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 26 Sep 2018, 08:05

Without seeing a pic, it does sound like the impact has pushed the knob further onto the shaft....it’s a push fit on the xt’s so I don’t see why it would be different on the RT (I’ve never held an RT) so you should be able to just pull it off and push it back on to the desired position.

If it’s something else then, Thomas Jacks should be able to repair it.....with any luck they might/should do it under warranty, more so if you’re upfront and honest with them with how it happened.

On posting photos...there was a recent post ....
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic ... 4&start=10

There are a couple of other threads higher up in the chatterbox section.
Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 27 Sep 2018, 19:31

Thanks, managed to get a pic uploaded at last. The fault is with the component itself i believe, as when the external " knoberry" is removed as in the picture, the shaft can be clicked down and revolved but nothing happens. I think the blow to the end of the shaft has broken the internals or something. I have already contacted thomas jacks regarding repair or supply of replacement component, and they confirmed that all repairs had to be sent back to the factory, which as it is in belarus, sounds like lengthy and probably expensive business. Thanks for the help regarding posting images.

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 27 Sep 2018, 22:04

Downer..... :thumbdown:

The shaft does look bent from your photo...probably beyond TJ’s facilities unless they can replace the whole board which I guess is exactly what the factory would do.

Must’ve been really unlucky just to have caught it at the angle to bend it.

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

paulham

Post by paulham » 27 Sep 2018, 22:07

Looks like a rotary encoder to me.

How many pins does it have? 4? (+, -, encoder signal & Button I assume)

Might be able to find a compatible one online: Mouser

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 28 Sep 2018, 07:49

Thanks for the replies. Don't think the shaft is bent, i think it is just the picture . Whatever, it seems to be broken anyway. Yes, rotary encoder sounds like it, i knew someone would know what it was called. I'll take the top off again and have look at the pin out and post again. Had a quick look at the mouser catalogue and i think it is going to be difficult to get exactly the right item without any id on the original component, but it is a very promising start.Thanks very much chaps

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 28 Sep 2018, 08:09

Definitely a rotary encoder with integrated push button switch.
If there are no markings visible, it's probably because they are on the underside of the encoder.
Depending on how you want to proceed, you could try to desolder it from the pcb to try to find a part number and then get a replacement.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 30 Sep 2018, 19:03

There looks to be 5 pins as far as i can see, 3 pins together as you can see on the right of the component in the pic, and then one bigger one on each side, . You can see one in the pic, and there is a corresponding one on the other side. I have a feeling that the 2 big ones might be just mounting points, as the encoder would have to be mounted quite firmly to the board to cope with all the turning motion back and forth. Don't know if this helps any of you experts out there. Thanks

Harleyman

Post by Harleyman » 30 Sep 2018, 19:03

There looks to be 5 pins as far as i can see, 3 pins together as you can see on the right of the component in the pic, and then one bigger one on each side, . You can see one in the pic, and there is a corresponding one on the other side. I have a feeling that the 2 big ones might be just mounting points, as the encoder would have to be mounted quite firmly to the board to cope with all the turning motion back and forth. Don't know if this helps any of you experts out there. Thanks