Extended eye relief on VF2C dispalys!

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
lightmesser

Extended eye relief on VF2C dispalys!

Postby lightmesser » 18 Oct 2015, 08:49

As we all know eye relief on this stock unit(about inch) is good for spotter and low recoil rifles...

So i thought that this is kind of important to start new topic...

In recent thread I asked question is there a way to extend eye relief with different combination of fresnel lenses or something and I got answer from one diy magician here on NVF.

LENNY.SCH
lenny.sch wrote:The eye peice i used on my dedicated build was a 25mm ebay lens and is just about perfect in mag and relief. :thumbup:

ATB: len

Lenny thank you very much on this info but now I call you for additional data :) ...

- When setting up this lenses how much eye relief we can expect in inch/cm?
- What distance needs to be set from vf2c main display to this lenses

You really have awesome builds man :thumbup:

Any of you guys with similar solutions here?

kahless

Re: Extended eye relief on VF2C dispalys!

Postby kahless » 18 Oct 2015, 09:37

I am currently working on a dsa, it uses a broompro housing for the vf2c, i found you can screw a pvs-4 eyepiece onto the end using a 49mm-62mm step up ring, it isn't quite done yet i still have to take a blade to the vf2c just past the screen, it looks like it should all line up perfectly with screen to eyepiece distance.
As for eye relief, if i put the eyepiece on my phone screen i can get 5 cm to 10 cm eye relief.
The pvs eyepiece is very weighty though, it's a mean chunk of glass.
Admittedly i had it lying around from another build, i wouldn't rush out and buy one or anything, probably a bit rare and costly for most builds, that 25mm lens idea looks nice i must say!
I will let you know how pvs lens works out soon.
ImageImageImage
'If I have seen further it is by standing on ye sholders of Giants'

kahless

Postby kahless » 18 Oct 2015, 11:30

While i have my thinking cap on, you could probably use a 49-42 mm stepdown ring on the end of the broompro and a 42mm to c-mount adapter and then screw your 25mm c-mount lens into that. You could use c - cs adapter rings to increase distance between lens and screen.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 79&alt=web

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 47&alt=web

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 18 Oct 2015, 17:51

Nice ideas here. Thanks.

5 cm(or more) eye relief on vf2c should be enough for powerful centerfires.

Try2k

Postby Try2k » 18 Oct 2015, 19:01

The original thread is here - page 4 talks about it a bit.

http://www.nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=6352&start=30

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 18 Oct 2015, 19:14

Thanks,

Plenty off good stuff in other threads. It is hard to follow that. Especially if you log on occasionally.

reindeer

Postby reindeer » 19 Oct 2015, 17:33

5 cm(or more) eye relief on vf2c should be enough for powerful centerfires.[/quote]

5 cm is defenitely not enough! You will be sure to get hit by your rig every time you fire a shot from a .308 and upwards calibre.
Believe me, I had my eyebrow bridge split more than once when using a tubed add on with too little eye relief on my .30-06 rifle.
To be on the safe side you need at least 9 cm of eye relief from any hard surface.
No fence is too high.......

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 19 Oct 2015, 22:41

I think 5 or slightly above should be enough... The longer the better of course.

look this for example: - ATN X Sight 5-18x Digital Day/Night Vision Riflescope Eye relief = 67 mm
- N770 67 mm
- Yukon photon XT eye relief 60mm

No problem with photon on 8x57 caliber, and I even know guy that use photon even on 300WM caliber. So .308(7,62x51) is similar thing.

There are plenty of guys that got eye kick with classic long eye relief rifle scopes like swarovski, kahles, zeiss. I really don't get that. Probably they were holding rifle to gentle.

kahless

Postby kahless » 01 Nov 2015, 11:49

Ok, i finally put the blade to the vf2c! I cut the built in occular housing off cutting at the join where the smaller rectangular part joins to the rest of the housing, now the bare kopin display is left exposed at the end.
I tried the pvs4 occular screwed onto the end with 49 - 62mm step up ring. I am amazed at how well it all lined up.
The image improvement is very noticeable, image is larger and fills up your view better, eye relief around 8-9cm, just way more comfortable to look through, very happy with it.

Next i screwed a 49-42mm stepdown ring and 42mm to c mount adapter which i linked in a previous post into the housing, then a 50mm f1.4 fotasy lens into that, this also gave a larger image and much longer eye relief, was impressed with this also, totally superior to the standard occular.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 01 Nov 2015, 16:47

Kahless,

You explained whole point of my thread.

Thank you very much Sir!

VF2C got new dimension... Centerfire recoil and extended eye relief dimension... Well done!

Return to “DIY Nightvision”