http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... GP6954.jpg
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... GP6957.jpg

Before it had a Mamba:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... GP4596.jpg
And once upon a time a Tubed x6:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... G_5120.jpg
And before that a N550:
http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... G_4455.jpg

The Sidewinder has bulked it up again but this combination gives the cleanest, sharpest and most wide field of view of any of the systems to date.

Nothing wrong with the Mamba and for rabbit ranges the upgrade is hardly worth it for all that xtra bulk. The Mamba is a nice package and results are excellent when matched to the BlackSun ir; but the Sidewinder has a "cleaner", better, all round sight picture.
I didn't like the side wheel on the Sidewinder for looks but it is a boon in the field even though its rarely needed. Everything works brilliantly and I can see at x4 a huge field of view and way way out for backstop; 400-500m. Its all very bright and for taking rabbit head shots I just wind up to x16 and judge the distance with the 1/2 milldot reticule. Its all really easy and user friendly. Head shots are the norm and a breeze.
The Ward B501 BlackSun ir gives oodles of ir. In truth it gives enough for a 300m shot at x16, but this is on a .22LR.

I've improved the Sig's trigger but its still on the long side. Accuracy is excellent now the barrel is full floating. For truck shooting the 25 round mag (I fill to 20) means I'm not running out of ammo all the time. Sig 522 reliability is fantastic if you remember to clean it every 400 rounds or so. Safety with the after market enlarged safety catch is fast and "making safe" with a full unload followed by a load pretty straight forward. (I do miss the bolt action rifle's "fired empty case left in the chamber after the shot" safety).
The stock is fine and head position very good with or without the WDV. I would like a fully adjustable "go faster" stock at some point as with an adapter it can take AR after market ones. Something for the future me thinks.

For a semi auto this really is the best yet Rabbit Harvester. OTT sure but it sure does work.. The Sidewinder, WDV, BlackSun would be perfectly fine too on a centrefire giving 300m plus shot and another 200m backstop in ideal conditions.

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Re: Sigg 522 Sidewinder

Post by cliveward » 01 Nov 2015, 21:36

Hi Muskett,

That looks very handy indeed. I must get a few Hawke scopes to play with and maybe stock the most favourable ones.

Drop in when you are next passing because we have a custom bush to clip onto the Sidewinder now. It's a T section ring that clips into the space between the locking ring and ocular adjuster for a perfect fit. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 02 Nov 2015, 16:43

cliveward wrote:Hi Muskett,

That looks very handy indeed. I must get a few Hawke scopes to play with and maybe stock the most favourable ones.

Drop in when you are next passing because we have a custom bush to clip onto the Sidewinder now. It's a T section ring that clips into the space between the locking ring and ocular adjuster for a perfect fit. :thumbup:

Cheers

Clive
Clive.
Please let me know if you get a Hawke Frontier as i would be interested to find a scope that is better for daylight use than the MTC Mamba.

Regards.
David.

Muskett

Post by Muskett » 02 Nov 2015, 17:07

Clive, I'll drop in at some point and take you up on that offer. My rubber lens cap conversion works pretty well though.
I've also done the "bottle top fix" to the on/off switch and now it doesn't turn itself on by itself quite so much.

One problem with Mambas, Hawks, in fact most high mag, side parallax, budget scopes that do work well with add ons, is that they all have very narrow, unforgiving, eye boxes. Just means you have to have your eye correctly lined up centred and at the right distance to the eyepiece. Its true with a lot of scopes, low cost and mid range. Its the reason why I went for the x16 and not higher mag like x24. Usually x24 are even more critical. The WDV/BlackSun performance might well work at x24 its so good???? At x16 that is outrageous, but at x24 that would be beyond the pale. Just think that at x24 it would start to show up the screen's limitations. I live in hope that Clive can source an even better screen at some point in the future; at a sensible price. Its not necessary but would guild the lilly.

cliveward
FORUM SPONSOR

Post by cliveward » 02 Nov 2015, 17:12

blueroll wrote: Clive.
Please let me know if you get a Hawke Frontier as i would be interested to find a scope that is better for daylight use than the MTC Mamba.

Regards.
David.
Hi David,

Yes the Frontier looks interesting and will be one to try, along side the Endurance with the Sidewinder for reference.

I'll get onto it but we need to get our heads down and clear some back orders first before going out playing. :lol:

Cheers

Clive

blueroll

Post by blueroll » 04 Nov 2015, 09:56

cliveward wrote:
blueroll wrote: Clive.

Regards.
David.
Hi David,

Yes the Frontier looks interesting and will be one to try, along side the Endurance with the Sidewinder for reference.

I'll get onto it but we need to get our heads down and clear some back orders first before going out playing. :lol:

Cheers

Clive
Hi Clive.
The only thing i am concerned about with the Frontier is that it looks like it is their most expensive with lots of lens coatings so it may filter out IR illumination.

Regards.
David.