My nv journey.

For all pcp's and springers. Tuning, repairs, pellets, show and tell.
User avatar
rodp
A bad influence
Posts: 4167
Joined: 09 Mar 2012, 22:49
Location: The Black Country

Re: My nv journey.

Post by rodp » 08 Jul 2016, 20:12

hairyyoda wrote::wave: Knew a old work mate who had a Italian semi-auto 9mm garden gun on his certificate, he loved it but the rimfire 9mm shot cartridges increased to a dull price, he was also keen on moving his chicken run and wheeled shed and overdosing the rat holes with 101 octane petrol, thinking back he would have made a good circus act when he was on his game. He reckoned that it was a occupational hazard to get a singed hair cut when things backfired :lol: Health and Safety would now not be amused at all :clap:
Thanks Phil.

Ha ha, mate of mine did a similar thing with a bottle full of propane down the mole holes. The orchard ended up as a sheet of flame, hedge to hedge inferno. He reckons he put a little too much gas down the hole :o Think he was trying to grow baked apples :lol:

Strange thing is, he's a GP so you would give him a little more credit for common sense :think:

:lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Manthing
Posts: 25
Joined: 15 Jun 2016, 12:49
Location: Stafford

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Manthing » 09 Jul 2016, 07:41

Buster the patterdale used to do most of the ratting around the horses, and damed good at it he is as well...
I used to shoot the raddits and squizzers of an evening.
Having direct access to the farm you soon realize just how many rats there are about??? :o
.410 would be good :D
Really should get my sgc app in.
Unfortunately common sense and intelligence are polar opposites in some people.

Maxi
Posts: 77
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 12:00
Location: Peterlee co durham

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Maxi » 09 Jul 2016, 08:09

Love watching the terriers work the rats and back gun to mop any that get through :thumbup:

Maxi
Posts: 77
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 12:00
Location: Peterlee co durham

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Maxi » 09 Jul 2016, 08:15

rodp wrote:
hairyyoda wrote::wave: Knew a old work mate who had a Italian semi-auto 9mm garden gun on his certificate, he loved it but the rimfire 9mm shot cartridges increased to a dull price, he was also keen on moving his chicken run and wheeled shed and overdosing the rat holes with 101 octane petrol, thinking back he would have made a good circus act when he was on his game. He reckoned that it was a occupational hazard to get a singed hair cut when things backfired :lol: Health and Safety would now not be amused at all :clap:
Thanks Phil.

Ha ha, mate of mine did a similar thing with a bottle full of propane down the mole holes. The orchard ended up as a sheet of flame, hedge to hedge inferno. He reckons he put a little too much gas down the hole :o Think he was trying to grow baked apples :lol:

Strange thing is, he's a GP so you would give him a little more credit for common sense :think:

:lol: :lol:
Ha ha just had a flashback to the film apocalypse now when they napalmed the tree line, anyone for Apple bake :shock: :lol:

Maxi
Posts: 77
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 12:00
Location: Peterlee co durham

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Maxi » 09 Jul 2016, 08:19

Manthing wrote:Buster the patterdale used to do most of the ratting around the horses, and damed good at it he is as well...
I used to shoot the raddits and squizzers of an evening.
Having direct access to the farm you soon realize just how many rats there are about??? :o
.410 would be good :D
Really should get my sgc app in.
Unfortunately common sense and intelligence are polar opposites in some people.
Get in for Your SGC I find it essential for pest control mate

User avatar
hairyyoda
Posts: 942
Joined: 28 Oct 2013, 18:26
Location: Carmarthenshire

Re: My nv journey.

Post by hairyyoda » 09 Jul 2016, 16:51

I catch a few rats now and then in a cage traps just to have one in a cage as a live screech decoy, doe's not always work out and might not be politically correct but every now and then you catch a rat that is a real screamer when you handle/shiggle the cage that the rat is in.
Makes for a very cheap FoxPro "but you have to bare in mind that you are handling a rat cage which would have rat droppings and rat urine and dander on and around the cage" also remember that Weil's Disease is serious issue and can easily kill so a lot of care is needed etc. etc.
Thanks Phil
ImageImage

Kevgun
Posts: 471
Joined: 20 Jul 2013, 22:33
Location: Basingstoke Hampshire

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Kevgun » 09 Jul 2016, 18:53

Well what we have done in the past is run a length of twin core cable about 25 metres does the trick and on the end of it attach a 5 amp blade fuse, then stick it down the rats front door, hole, nest, or whatever it's called. Then get your propane gas down the hole via a length of hose turn it on give it 5 minutes-ish then turn off and withdraw the bottle( bit dodgy otherwise )

Then go to the other end of the twin core cable and short them out on a good battery
Fuse pops and you get a Big Bang :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't try this at home ;)

Kevgun

Manthing
Posts: 25
Joined: 15 Jun 2016, 12:49
Location: Stafford

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Manthing » 09 Jul 2016, 21:48

Maxi wrote:
Manthing wrote:Buster the patterdale used to do most of the ratting around the horses, and damed good at it he is as well...
I used to shoot the raddits and squizzers of an evening.
Having direct access to the farm you soon realize just how many rats there are about??? :o
.410 would be good :D
Really should get my sgc app in.
Unfortunately common sense and intelligence are polar opposites in some people.
Get in for Your SGC I find it essential for pest control mate
Got myself a cabinet for my birthday last year ( well nobody else was) and I've got the permission (which I know you don't actually need) so I don't know what's stopping me.

Manthing
Posts: 25
Joined: 15 Jun 2016, 12:49
Location: Stafford

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Manthing » 09 Jul 2016, 21:52

hairyyoda wrote: also remember that Weil's Disease is serious issue and can easily kill so a lot of care is needed etc. etc.
Thanks Phil
Never touch farm rats matey, got one of those long reach grab claw thingys. Gets antibacked after each use.
Last edited by Manthing on 09 Jul 2016, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.

Maxi
Posts: 77
Joined: 04 Apr 2014, 12:00
Location: Peterlee co durham

Re: My nv journey.

Post by Maxi » 09 Jul 2016, 21:54

Good man go for it you will not regret it

Post Reply